xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG

Tired Of The DB Import/Export Tools just a Rant...

I'm sick & tired of the commercial/freeware DB Import/Export tools - the limitations they have and the complex process involved in some - and yet their failure to update data properly in most cases. I've used most of the EMS series of mysql imp-ex utils and am not at at happy with the result (specially abt it's incapability to transfer unicode data). So I'm off to write one on my own that'll be simple and versatile. It'll either be designed in C# or VB.NET or both. Features would include:1. A Very Simple Interface where the noobs of noobs can jump right in and start working2. Gradually implement as many DB support as I can to make it very flexible about source and destinations DBs.3. A good mapping screen where you can map different fields of the DBs onto each other + any kind of reformatting you want once data is extracted from the source and before it's put into the destination DB. I've already started working on one - anybody interested can join in and provide ideas/code support - all are welcome. I'm going to start a development tree (dunno with what - still not decided - any ideas ??? ) and ask all of you to join in. We'll make it opensource and try include at least as many features that some of the commercial variants have. Lets beat the *hit out of them, shall we ? This can be our first collaborative opensource project :PP.S. Since my current project involves heavy MySQL Usage + I'm more familiar with MySQL at this point, the starter routines are going to involve data mapping between MySQL and Excel/Access. And then gradually we can introduce support for the other Databases.

If you are going to focus on connecting only to SQL based dataservers then there is already an available import/export tool and a sched backup module for paid version.

If you have time then check this website https://www.webyog.com/

That website is the official website of SQLYog which is an alternative way of connecting to SQL based database servers. It also supports up to mySQL 5 and all of the functionality of PHPmyadmin plus a lot more..

There is a saying that we dont need to reinvent the wheel. :rolleyes:

BUT.. for any other reason that you still want to continue your project.. count me in, I can code in C and Java and I can declare myself as proficient in MYSQL..

I do believe that there are always a better way around some stuffs... :)

Nice vhortex :P we're starting an opensource development tree similar to sourceforge very soon. You are more than welcome to join the projects that we'll start off there - or simply start your own project and invite people in to contribute.. whichever way :P You're right.. Why bother reinventing the wheel when we can come up with our own anti-grav devices :P

You're right.. Why bother reinventing the wheel when we can come up with our own anti-grav devices :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Three thumbs up on that.

I do bore sometimes on the "standard" tool sets. The software tools I need always seems to lack something.

Perhaps this will be really a great way to start an open source like environment where everybody contributes and puts ideas together.

I wish for this success and I will wait for the developement and for the time to kick in the project.

:P