xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Qop

Search Dogs In A Beehive Bees tracking down explosivesdrugs

Bees can smell better than dogs. It's a fact. And because dogs are relatively intelligent, they get bored more quickly. And last but not least, bees have the advantage they act upon instinct.

For a few years now the Pentagon is researching the possibility to train bees so they can track down drugs and explosives, just like searchdogs. And it seems to be working. Alan Rudolph put a few bees in a straight-jacket (wonder how he did THAT :P) and put a mix of sugar and TNT/drugs before them. Before they are trained, they automatically try to find sugar. Over the days, he changed the quantities of sugar and TNT, sugarlevel goes down, TNT goes up. After a while the bees automatically started to go after the TNT, instead of trying to find sugar. The same system for drugs, which also worked (stoned bees, :P ).

Now the bees are equipped with a radio transmitter (a miniscule thing, mind you. Not the one you will find at a radio station :o) Look at this image below (the radio is attached at the back of the bee):

Posted Image

There are still some problems though: bees don't fly at night, they can't withstand storms or coldness. And in countries such as the Netherlands these bees won't work very well :o drugs all over the place. Bees would go berserk there.

Are you serious ! Hahaha. That is pretty interesting stuff. Imagine though if a bee found a delicate explosive, and went and bonked right in to it and blew it to smitherines.

But seriously, that is pretty awesome. I would imagine that training bees would cost more, though? Dogs are rather intelligent as you said, so it is simpler to teach them basic commands and be assured that they would be rather reliable. I do not think I would put my life on a bee.

Scientifically, this sounds like an April Fools joke, where's the source?There's too much evidence going against bees that they are acceptable for this type of work.I don't feel like commenting more on this.

How much more does it cost to train, store, and equip all these insects? Is it really economical? Which would be better, if you were carrying drugs, to be pummelled and bit by a dog, or attacked by a swarm of bees?I could also imagine a species of bees being created by rubbing the drugs on their legs and brining it back to a hive (honey bees). I don't doubt that if a certain pothead/beekeeper found out about this, he would supply his little slaves with enough crops to make it work....:P HONEYPOT!! :P HAHA! That SO explains Winnie-the-pooh! Always hungry...house cluttered with honeypots...having pipe dreams about heffalumps and woosels transforming from them... Omg, that's just too perfect....honey-pot..*chuckles*

And in countries such as the Netherlands these bees won't work very well :o drugs all over the place. Bees would go berserk there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

don't take this too serious but not all dutch people use drugs. i don't, and no-one i know does. :P

How much more does it cost to train, store, and equip all these insects?  Is it really economical? Which would be better, if you were carrying drugs, to be pummelled and bit by a dog, or attacked by a swarm of bees?

I could also imagine a species of bees being created by rubbing the drugs on their legs and brining it back to a hive (honey bees).  I don't doubt that if a certain pothead/beekeeper found out about this, he would supply his little slaves with enough crops to make it work....:P HONEYPOT!! :P  HAHA!  That SO explains Winnie-the-pooh!  Always hungry...house cluttered with honeypots...having pipe dreams about heffalumps and woosels transforming from them... Omg, that's just too perfect....honey-pot..*chuckles*

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you post funny.. hihi

ok: my real reply: it does sound like an april fools day joke, although i wouldnt be surprised if them crazy american scientist would do something like that :P they even once tried to make a bomb, that would make the enemy so horny that they couldnt fight anymore :o the 'sex-bomb' was never really made.

Scientifically, this sounds like an April Fools joke, where's the source?

Look here and there was an article on the site of the financial times but I can't find atm.

HONEYPOT!! laugh.gif HAHA! That SO explains Winnie-the-pooh! Always hungry...house cluttered with honeypots...having pipe dreams about heffalumps and woosels transforming from them... Omg, that's just too perfect....honey-pot..*chuckles*

hahahaha yes that is very funny :P

don't take this too serious but not all dutch people use drugs. i don't, and no-one i know does.

Hehe, I'm form holland too :P was just joking around a bit. (although I know quite a few ppl that do drugs)