xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rkage

Upgrading My Laptop Need Help...

OK I've had my laptop for over a year now and I guess I need to upgrade because 6gb hard drive is just not enough. I think I know about buying this because I've currently got a 2.5" hard drive with a 2.5"-3.5" adaptor so I can buy either. I've seen s few good deals for 40gb ones so I'm looking into that.

Yay or nay

Hard Drive

I am totally clueless at these things.

I went to upgrade memory but it says in all specifications for my laptop (Toshiba Portege 7020CT) that the max memory is 194mb, so does that mean I can't go any higher or can I update the BIOS to allow that?

Finally, just before Christmas I reinstalled Windows XP onto my laptop after a few things went wrong. Then when I went to run a DVD the quality was poor and choppy so what did I do wrong? And is there any other recommendations to upgrade on my laptop that will increase the speed as I listen to alot of music and DVDs so reducing choppyness is important.

Thank you

Okay well I'm not that much less clueless than you, but I went through this whole laptop debacle a few months ago. How old is you computer? I went to the Toshiba website and they don't even list it, but you said you only got it a year ago?! The problems you're experiencing with your DVD player and music definitely sounds like a problem with your processor and/or memory. Upgrade one or the other, or both, if you can. Although it doesn't sound like you can upgrade your memory. What kind of processor do you have now? Right-click on My Computer and check out Properties to find out. :P

Yeh I got it a year ago, it was second hand from my dads work. It was only 100 quid and the DVD player was included so it wasnt that bad of a deal.The DVD was working fine before I reinstalled windows so it cant be memory...

if you were running an older version of windeows and now home this may be the problem because xp uses mopre ram. if you want to upgrade the hard drive i would get a hartddisk for a desk top and get a caase for it of ebay. i did it and for a stage there i had linux running of it but i have a desktop so im not sure how fast the hard disk would be.

Ive seen the 5,400 rpm hdd, at a LAN party my mates and I set up while back. Couple of them were using lappys. It would take rougly 1-2 minutes to transfer 2 700mb ISOs on a desktop machine, 7,200rpm hdd. The hdd was faster than the 10/100mb lan. Which is good. On the other hand, trying to transfer the same ISOs to a laptop, it took forever to save. Reading/writing to and from that hdd, both of them (2 guys with lappys) , took close to 15minutes. the LAN was capable, but the hdd just wasnt. I dont know if thats with all of them, or maybe these were just crappy. My advice would be to get a good USB300gb hdd or something to that effect, small and effective, you could even put a harness on your lappy to hold it. Put it underneath, strapped to the laptop, in in the space underneath, put a better cooling solution if it needs it. Always seems to me these lappy companies skip out on the cooling. Buit this is just one hicks idea. :P