xisto Community
Poison_the_well

Windows XP Problem: Log Off Causes Restart

Hey guys I have another i would like to ask about XP. On my PC Im having this rather annoying problem!! When I want to reboot my computer or log off it just shuts down. It will say "Logging off" and then quickly switch to say "Shutting Down" and then it will turn itself off. I have been having this problem for about a year now and I havent done anything about it yet. Do you have any suggestions about what I should do or why it happens? Has anyone else had this problem? Thanx again people :P

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

I had the reverse problem when I first got XP, it restarted instead of turning off. What I did to correct it, I believe was modify the power options. This can be found under the control panel. Make sure the computer is set correctly under the advanced tab. I believe that is how I fixed the situation, but I am not sure. I will look into it for you.

Hi there! I've done a little web-researching for you, and it seems the problem is common, although in varied forms. Do you know if you have Windows XP SP 2? Also, how old is your computer, and what other MS products do you have installed (do you have MS Office)? There seems to be a common problem involving Outlook. If you don't use Outlook, then try messing with the power options, like vizskywalker suggested. Try the "Minimal Power Management" setting. I personally have XP on a 6-month old Fujitsu Lifebook S-series, and everything has worked fine. Although, I got XP Home Edition.Hope this helped!!

As "everydaysushi" said the problem is common. even i had the problem. The problem anoued me so much i formated. if the problem is only new you could try a system restore. when it was a problem for me i restarted by pressing the restart button on the front of my pc which shuts it down and restarts it but you need to close all other programs first otherwise they can get dammedged especialy mediaplayer. I have a custom computer that is just entering its second year.

i believe that is what is supposed to happen, it happens on every computer that i have used at home and college.

i believe that is what is supposed to happen, it happens on every computer that i have used at home and college.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just because It seems to happen to everyone does not mean it is supposed to happen, it means it is a glitch. My computers don't do that for either XP Home or Pro. Try searching the microsoft database for help, and as a temporary fix, see the post on shutdown shortcuts: http://forums.xisto.com/topic/82716-topic/?findpost=1064295030

Viz