xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Giniu

Need Help..how Much Money Can I Take For This Job?

Hi...I just got my first real short-time job in Flash... I have to do 7 baners, 2 screensavers and 1 site menu (xml-driven)... the problem is - my future boss said to me:so, decide how much you want and if you would be able to do it... I'll call tomorrow...and this is a pain, I was never doing oficial job like that, I don't wan't say too much, becouse he would run away and find someone else... from understable reason I also don't want to undercharge for this... so if anyone there did something like this earlier, what are current prices? please give me some high and low limits of this... I would be greatfull for fast response :P

Notice from szupie:
Sorry... I changed your topic to an even more descriptive one. It was ok before, but lacks a little, doesn't tell what the topic REALLY is about. Hope more people will read this now...
Edited by szupie (see edit history)

My friend took about 13 dollars for a website for a cs clan. Try to take 100 dollars or 150 dollars for everything. But if he wants it cheaper try to give it about 80 dollars and dont scare him away he would then go and buy a template or use a free one and use the tutorial here to make a logo in paint.

Personally at the start i would sell them cheaper and then once u get going with ur boss slowly increase the price, becuase if u give him cheaper prices he won't be scared away and also he will want more work from you. That being said i've never worked in web designing/graphics designing (yet), but i hope to start soon, once i get my website and some other tasks i want to complete.Silent

Hi...

I just got my first real short-time job in Flash... I have to do 7 baners, 2 screensavers and 1 site menu (xml-driven)... the problem is - my future boss said to me:

so, decide how much you want and if you would be able to do it... I'll call tomorrow...

Hi, to get a good price for your future boss and yourself see how many hours you need to design the banners etc. Then set up a price per hour something like 20 to 30 Dollars/Euros. Tell your boss cheap price generate cheap work. I guess he wants some quality gfx from you and might accept. You could also call a design firm to get an idee how much they charge per hour.

Good Luck

Thanks for all your help :P I'm in now, so it worked...:P

I'd say about 25 dollars cash in hand deposit, 10 dollars an hour and a variable and negotiable finishing amount, which is usually for bonuses and you make your boss call the price, so you'll learn whether your job was good.I'm sure you'll ace it, and I'm sorry my advice was a tad bit late but I'm sure it would of worked.

Whatever you do, get it in writing in some kind of signed contract. That is rule number 1 and something I learned the hard way. I'm now in video production and the client has to pay 1/2 upfront and the rest when they recieve a reduced quality "Rought cut". I make sure the final payment clears before releasing the final copy. How much is your time worth and how much would someone else do it for?I copy home movies from VHS to DVD (I use the professonal copy machines, not PC's) and I charge $25 per 120minute transfer. Competitors in the area are about $10 per copy more than what I charge. If someone has a large project (15+ tapes) I'll go as low as $15 per transfers. I charge a flat $7.50 per copy for duplicates. Again I use a duplication machine, not a computer, and it takes about 30 mintues to burn a copy. $1 for the Digital Movie DVD and I can do 4 per hour (2 machines). So that's $24 an hour when they are running.Now I charge more if they hire me to do editing. Usually it starts at $40 (up to 2 hours) (opening iMovie HD or FC Express DV) and $60 (up to 2 hours of my time) if I have to open Pro Tools for anything. Then it's $15/hr for basic editing after that and $25 for adanced (using final cut pro).Post production (FX, compositing, etc.) is $150 for the first 2 hours and $50 an hour after that. Basically because Apple shake costed $3000 when I bought it...now that's it $500...For editing, I'm a couple dollars cheaper than the others around, but I'm the only real post production expert around and there is not a lot of demand. So I charge when I get it. However...whatever you do, get the agreement in writing.

Wow - thread from so ago bubbled to current discussion :)... thanks for info anyway, that work didn't worked long ago:P - there is more than year from that ask... now I'm on totaly different bussines - installing Linux for people that want it... and money? what they think is right - I just take what they give as best price is new Linux user around... :)

That's quite clever for people who don't have Linux or know about it and they can install it for a low charge, so they think its great value whereas your downloading it for free.Do you go round their homes or do they bring the laptops and desktops to you?

Wow - thread from so ago bubbled to current discussion :D... thanks for info anyway, that work didn't worked long ago:P - there is more than year from that ask... now I'm on totaly different bussines - installing Linux for people that want it... and money? what they think is right - I just take what they give as best price is new Linux user around... :)

Linux Installation... wow.....
i feel so thrilled when i hear from people from Unix or Linux platform. Linux Installation will be much easier & simplified compared to Unix installation.
Giniu, i think instead of taking the price without any complaints, it will be better if u have a price fixed & increase if required according to the effort u put in. u can consider my suggestion. :)

That's quite clever for people who don't have Linux or know about it and they can install it for a low charge, so they think its great value whereas your downloading it for free.

First of all - I inform they that Linux is mostly free (there are distributions that aren't free), we always together choose right distro (that turns out to not always be free), and if one chooses free one there is still cost for CD's, right? Anyway - that's why I "take what they give".

Do you go round their homes or do they bring the laptops and desktops to you?

it depends... I prefer to go out but if someone don't want we can talk it over and even met in my place or caffe if computer isn't too big - anyway I prefer to have whole set of tools connected while installing, then I can choose drivers and install them at once - and actually test them - this saves lot of time but it's hard to bring to someone tower, monitor, printer, scaner, tablet, etc and whatever :)...

Linux Installation... wow.....i feel so thrilled when i hear from people from Unix or Linux platform. Linux Installation will be much easier & simplified compared to Unix installation.

It is very simple when you at least one time see how other does it... then you have lot less chance to brake your real first instalation :) - also - for thing that I usually take money - on SourceMage you can make realy neat centralized architecture from many computers... I usualy build it double - one central box have two systems... first is configured to build using distcc and rest of machines, you can test software in seconds and see if they works, then second system is same as other systems - and you have neat utility on it - cabal... when you execute something on cabal it executes everywhere, but ccache can still be shared over network so you get software compiled faster than with one shot...

Giniu, i think instead of taking the price without any complaints, it will be better if u have a price fixed & increase if required according to the effort u put in. u can consider my suggestion. smile.gif

I think that I would stay with my way of making things - at least for individuals... Consider that people don't want to try Linux because they are scared - when you show them that it don't bite, then they can start with it... when you got 2 CDs and after install black screen welcomes you until you "startx" (I always explain why this is better than staring X at first run) then many just removes it and installs back stolen WinXP... this is sad but true... when about small companies this is different story :D