xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rapco

How Do I Compress One File Into Several Parts? Using Winrar

Ok, i have a 70 mb folder compressed with winrar, and i tried to uploaded into a "service" on the internet, but they only allow uploads up to 10mb..That's why i need to upload the folder in 7 equal parts of 10mb each...I know it's possible in winrar beacuse i have downloaded files with this specs (separated, like a back-up)So, if u know how to, please tell meThanks!

Winrar is a powerful compressing software on the market. I prefer Winrar than Winzip (of course because it supports rar files, lol).

If you compress your file(s), you can enter the volume size in

"Split to volumes" field in the "archive name and parameters dialog"

in general tab to create volumes (multi part archives).

By default it is entered in bytes. But if you add a lowercase letter 'k' at

the end of the volume size, the entered value will be considered as kilobytes

(multiplied by 1024).

Use an uppercase 'K' to denote thousand of bytes (multiply by 1000), '

m' means megabytes and 'M' - million of bytes.

It is also possible to select the volume size from the list associated with

this item. Note that if you are archiving to a removable disk, you may select

"Autodetect" from the list and WinRAR will choose the volume size automatically

for each new volume.

For multiple CD's you can enter for example "700m" for 700MB CD's.

WinRAR creates a multi-volume archive (volname.part001.rar, volname.part002.rar, etc. ) The volumes are 700MB and the last volume may be smaller

In your case, you should enter 10m or 10000 into "Split to volumes" field then click OK. Then up you go.

Posted Image

Ok, i know how to get there, but taht option is not activated fro me!!!

check out the image i'm attaching...

HEY!!! what happened to the attachements!!!!! (hummm.. :( )

ok, i uploaded the file to my Xisto account.. :)

Posted Image

What do i do now!

I have investigated this dialog and found out that in one circumstance, my dialog looks the same as your (Split to volumes field is disable). Solution is:

Click on Profiles... button and select Default Profile

Try that first and let me know if it works.

If you could not find the Default Profile in the list. You can tell Winrar to create one. Open Winrar from Start menu, select menu Options -> Settings... (or press Ctrl+S). Click on tab Compression, you should see a Settings dialog like the following. Then press Create default... button and set up your own favourite one (it will be default).

Posted Image

Hi...

I use Splitter & Merger 4.0 ..

I got this very useful tool back when I was using floppies and had to split files between floppies and then rejoin them..

the application does not have any reserve by way of splitting files as long as they are 'contained in a single file' ( I once helped out someone who wanted to split multiple files over multiple cd's in as equal parts as possible - well to do something like that - you'll want to zip all the files into one .zip [or other format] file and then split the file.

The handiness of this file is that its a small handy package.. so small that it's readily smaller than most image files so it is easy to e-mail to your friends should they want to use it.

At present though there is hardly any support for this app. and the support website is 'Under construction', but with all the core functionality well tried and tested, even a novice can make do.

Under GPL and distribution as allowed by the owner; I'm putting the application (zipped) up for download.. here (splitter40_uk.zip) for a limited period of 1 month form today.

To further understand the application's abilitues (as core and simple as they are.. :P ) here's the author's discription:

* Splitter & Merger is a tool which its function is to split large files into smaller and easy to   manage ones. 

* Splitter & Merger is able to compress files before split them.  With a reduced file, less parts
  are generated and as a result splitted file is easier to transport.

* Opposite to many similar tools, Splitter & Merger split the files at very high speed.

* Its reduced size of 29Kb makes it very easy to transport and in opposition to similar products
  it doesn't depend of external files like DLL's, OCX's, etc.

* Splitter & Merger can generate the first part as an executable module (SFX).  As a result S&M
  can rejoin the parts again in another computer without S&M installed.

* Splitter & Merger can generate the parts directly to a removable unit (like diskettes) and also
  make disk spanning. To do this yo must select "autodetect" as part size.  (read manual for more
  details).

* Splitter & Merger has no limit in the size of the file to split.  It can split files bigger than
  4.2 GB without problems.

* Many other features. Please take a look! :P

Hope this has been of help. If anyone requires any support with this, please PM me.

Rashid Ahmed

if the mattter is just of uploading the files an dividing the files into several parts then there are tools available on internet which devide your file into several parts, means it can can even split files of GB into thousans parts ... it can, it creats a batch file which is necessary to re-joint the parts if u dont have that program available on other side or in future, the final thing is , download all parts, put them in folder and run batch files and u will get what u divide,,,,,so cheers up and let me search the toools name.....(y)

Although I am not in front of your machine, I will do my best to answer your post. I believe that you did not have the option to create an archive spanning multiple files is that you were clicked on an already exsisting archive, at least in version 3.4.2 that is what causes that to happen. The steps to create a multiple file archive are as follows:

Open Winrar

Browse to the folder where you want to store the files you will create

Make sure that the active file in the main window is the top file folder, indicating the root of that folder.

Click Commands from the menu bar.

Click Add files to archive (or you can just use the ALT+A keyboard shortcut)

You will see the Archive name and parameter window, it will be on the General tab by default and will have placed the the name of the active file from the main screen as its file name. Change this name to whatever you want with a .rar extension.

Locate the Split to volumes, bytes drop down box and either choose a size or type in your own. For your 10MB need you would type 10,000,000 in the box.

Go to the Files tab and browse to the file you would like to split

Click "OK"

Winrar will create the files and show a progress window, it will name the file in this format: filename.part01(02,03,04,etc.).rar

I hope this helps in what you were looking for.

John

Hi! I got a question. I'm supposed to compress some folders using winrar so that at the end I only get one file. how do I do that? I'm new at winrar so I have no idea... I tried doing the whole "ADD" thing, but afterwards, I open the folder and it hasn't changed one bit. can someone explain? would be great.THANKS and CHEERS

how do i compress a folder using win rar

How Do I Compress One File Into Several Parts?

I am very new to compressing process.I need to compress a folder for attach to a e-mail.I know it is possible because I already download a file as a winrar format sized 14.3mb.When I extract it,it converted as a 260mb file.Thats why I ask everyone if there is a opposite process it will use for everyone.Anyone answer me...Advance thanks too ...

-reply by sakthi

thank you How Do I Compress One File Into Several Parts?

thanks alot dear you have resolved a very big and huge probem for me.I had been using winrar for more than 5 years and I haven't seen that part of winrar.

thank you so much dear.

Allah Bless you so much

-reply by moazzam

OOOPS!!!How Do I Compress One File Into Several Parts?

I should add something this. DON'T forget to put the K or M next to the value. Here's why. If you do forget like I did and your trying to make a set of files 25Mb each and you put in the number 25600 (Kb each) and your destination is your desktop, well... I just created 25600 compressed folders on my desktop. Lets just say this is a real pain in the @$$ to get rid of. Lucky for me I realized what I was doing at #1267 and stopped it. But none the less, It's NOT a good idea to forget.

-reply by Brandon

thanks...It's really works fine and help me lot to make part file from a large file...Thanks again.

-feedback by Partha Sarathi Das

how tocompress a file and split a file.How Do I Compress One File Into Several Parts?

use 7zip or kgb or uharc to compress them into smaller size. But usually it takes time to compress. I downloaded a kgb compressed file of abt 260 kb.When I extracted it was 6 mb. Again I extracted and this time it was 6.7 gb. Yes its 6.7 gb. 

if u want to split a file then use hjsplit or thefilesplitter or use winrar. In winrar while creating an archieve , u get an option called split to volume,bytes. Just type the size like 5000000 means 5 mb coz it will take it into byte size , then it will split the file into 5mb parts.

-reply by Rajeesh