xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
quiksilver

I Am Pretty Sure I Have The Msn Virus..

I am really sorry if this doesn't go on this board. I tried going to Security Issues & Exploits but I just got x'ed out of the browser.I accepted a file from someone and now when I sign into MSN it tries to send it to everyone. And I can't run Norton and a bunch of things are screwed up. I have no idea what to do. Is there anyone who has had this and can help me? Please. :angry:

Sometime ago I did experience the same thing. What I did was to uninstall the whole msn messenger and re-install it. This will be much better than any other method I suppose. It is really annoying if it happens like this. I hope this helps. If you don't want to do this you may wait for others to help you out.

yeah,what you meant is to want to uninstall the msn from windows.umm,you should do it in control panel,go into add or move program and select the sec to uninstall or install windows tool like ie,msn,mp and so on.good luck!you will make it!

The lame part is in XP, you cant really 100% remove MSN messenger. its built in as "windows messenger", but you can selctively delete the infected files while in safe mode, after you do a control pannel uninstall... which is how i had to get rid of this when i got it.

Thanks for your guys's help I pretty much got rid of it. It seems like once I had it I couldn't go anywhere that had anything to do with viruses. Once I made this topic I tried to look if anyone posted but I would get x'ed out it was crazy. Anyway Thank you very much.

Something else you can do is go into 'My Received Files', which I believe is in My Documents. Just find anything out of the ordinary and delete it. Just about a week ago I did a complete format of my entire compooter because I had several hundred viruses :)Hell, several years of viruses really add up. I suggest you only accept things from friends that you really KNOW, or ask them if they sent it, since mmost viruses in MSN don't show up to the user sending them.Meh, just my...*counts* 57 cents.

Yeh, they named the files well some are called "Topless in a mini-skirt" or " See my ******* friends" if you see any like that do not accept. It is best just to ask them if it is the virus they wont be able to respond.

Norton Antivirus 2005 has a messenger scanner, trying using that one. If this one doesnt work, can your computer for Ad-Ware using Ad-Aware.The above 2 should help, if not uninstall and reinstall msn messenger using the add-remove control panel.That should work. :)

I have a free virus software that works really well. Its by grisoft. What it does not catch I have my spyware cleaner catch. It works pretty well. Also if you have your msn and other im softwares set up so that you have to approve any file transfers you can just say no and it won't even make it to your computer. I have had people I did not know try to send me files but I have automatically rejected the files and blocked the member. There are some precautions as you can see that you can take to prevent this from happening to you again.

I use a couple of utilities to keep the computer safe.

turn off plug and play, you can turn it back on when you need it. Steve Gibson research, disable plug & Play

Turn of windows messenger service, not needed for anything, not even for messenger. GRC, shoot the messenger

read up on different security issues on his site and check your ports while you are there.

GRC Home page

Nils

I am very happy that I have turned off uPnP and all other unwanted services from my OS. I don't even have MSN messenger, so getting a virus from that is out of question. But what about Yahoo messenger? IS that also as vulnerable as MSN messenger for viruses?