xisto Community

An Ipod plays MP3 format songs as well as Itunes formats as well, So far I don't know of any limitations as to what kind of songs you can put on it. And if you want to place songs from a friends computer onto your Ipod you will have to first tansfer the wanted music into your Ipod, since it acts as a portable hard drive you simply place it into the mass storage area, it can be found in my computer listed in the start menu. Don't try to place it on your Ipod threw a friends Itunes program since your Ipod is registered threw your Itunes program.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is true but also somewhat misleading. The iPod can play AAC files(both unprotected ones and ones you download from iTunes), MP3s, Apple Lossless(a codec that has no loss of quality unlike any other non-lossless codec such as WMV, Ogg, AAC, MP3, etc), and Audible which is used for audio books.

As for the question of whether or not a file from an iPod will play on other players, it depends. Few other players support AAC, but they all support MP3(except for some sony players). An mp3 from an ipod will play on anything. Other players support WMV, but they aren't any better since your WMV files will refuse to play on any other player than yours (because of DRM on the file). This means that the file format is rather irrelevant because unless your file is mp3, ogg, unprotected AAC, or FLAC (another lossless codec) format it is not transferable to other players anyway.

Songs bought on itunes can be put on other devices, but only a limited number. The best bet is to rip your files from CDs into some lossless codec. A lossless codec can be turned into any other type of file without excess quality loss. This way, you can move files about, though it will take a bit of work on your part. Sadly, you can't currently get a player that supports all file types

I love my ipod. I have a 20mb one but now they have these really cool ones. They're U2 themed Ipods and I love that band. They're red and black (the bands colors) and has they're signatures escribed into the back. Very cool, I wish I had got my later on because I would have got one of those. Too bad....

I don't own an iPod but thought about getting one. What I would like to know is if you can create playlists on them? I believe that on some other mp3 players you are able to create a playlist but I haven't seen anyone with one on their iPod.