xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Giniu

Rogue-like Rpg's

Don't tell me I'm last man playing NetHack and others... now it has "also" a graphical frontend, but I personally prefers to run it fron console... there are also many others, I think that I'll start something... I'll cast on rogue-like rpg's, so...:

At the beginning there was Rogue... it was 1984... randomly generated dungeons was great thing at that time, so Rogue get a lot of fans... all text-based RPG's have their root is Rogue - from Rogue they have their name - Roguelike...

Till now we have a lot of its clones and variants, and there are still showing up new ones and existing ones are under heavily development... To most known belongs:

NetHack - supports also nice graphical GUI and internet play...

ADOM (Ancient Domains of Mystery) - great Roguelike placed in mysterious world called Darkalor, you can chose good or bad way, very playable...

Angband - also great Roguelike, based on Tolkien's Middle Earth, for example you have to beat Sauron... this game have plenty of variants, such as best of them:

Zangband - based upon stories of Zelazny - with strongly improved system and many new races including races like skeleton/zombie/vampire... - realy - this one is my favorite... ;)

Edit -> Rogue, that's how it's spelled :) Just to avoid misunderstandings in the replies here :(

Edited by moonwitch (see edit history)

I have ADOM and yes I love it. :) I personally like the Rogue like RPG's, I don't know why but generally speaking I still adore old DOS games :( I also enjoy MUD's ;) So I stayed true to my "text" nature. As far as a good fix for DOS games ;)

http://www.dosgames.com/ is my favourite. And it's all legal, only freeware, shareware and demo's. Be sure to check out their links section ;)

Hi...Rogue - right... sorry for that... my english is just "one year old" :) and I'm trying to my best... anyway... I was going to try MUD's some time ago, but with text-based games - when you try something bad, you can never come back - so what MUD you can recomend for the beginning (best if it would work on Linux or at least DosBox...)?I think that text based games are still good since when other games are getting grpahics and sound better and better they also forgots about fun that should come from gameplay... and this is the most important and best part of text-based games :(

your talking to the rogue master here. I was into the multiple thousand levels of the dungeon, fighting godawful @ symbols from morning to night with my valient @ symbol of a slightly different shade LOL. Ever since this game I have been scared to go near another DOS game, as I am afraid I will never get to school again LOLOL. I have not heard of NetHack, ADOM, Angband, or Zangband, but I'm sure they were very evily addicting LOL. Call me an old-school lover but its the truth, there is a reason why so many people made and still make variants of Rogue.

In all honesty I havn't really played rogue but I did love NetHack with or without the new GUI display. I havn't played that game forever but it takes some getting used to to learn how to play it. It was one of the first text based action RPGs I ever played. Ahh... Now I feel like downloading and playing it all over again.. could never get to the bottom of the dungeon though.