xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Elysithea

Silicon: A Thing Of The Past ? DNA a possible substitute...

I read about this at school and wrote a paper on it. Modern computers will soon hit their limits because silicon microchips can only process information at a certain speed. But now, scientists have discovered an entirely new medium to take micro-computing and processing speed even further: DNA. DNA molecules are able to store much more information than silicon chips can, and they have been able to solve many mathematical problems that would stump the most powerful supercomputers. The concept of using genetic material for microprocessors goes back a decade, beginning with the father of DNA computing, Dr. Leonard Adleman. In Technology Review*, the article goes into specifics on how DNA computing will pave the way for smaller computers and faster processors. However, Adleman states that at this time, scientists are unable to control molecules as efficiently as electrical engineers can control electrons. Although we probably won’t see a DNA computer-based desktop or laptop in our homes any time soon, scientists haven’t given up hope. This was the article in question if you want to read it.*Antonio Regalado. Technology Review. Cambridge: May/June 2000. Vol.103, Iss.3; pg.80It would probably be implemented in supercomputers and the sort of computers the CIA or FBI would be using.My dad works for the FBI and says they'd probably never pay that much for one, lol.

Edited by miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG (see edit history)

I read about this at school and wrote a paper on it.
Modern computers will soon hit their limits because silicon microchips can only process information at a certain speed.  But now, scientists have discovered an entirely new medium to take micro-computing and processing speed even further:  DNA.  DNA molecules are able to store much more information than silicon chips can, and they have been able to solve many mathematical problems that would stump the most powerful supercomputers.  The concept of using genetic material for microprocessors goes back a decade, beginning with the father of DNA computing, Dr. Leonard Adleman.  In Technology Review*, the article goes into specifics on how DNA computing will pave the way for smaller computers and faster processors.  However, Adleman states that at this time, scientists are unable to control molecules as efficiently as electrical engineers can control electrons.  Although we probably wonât see a DNA computer-based desktop or laptop in our homes any time soon, scientists havenât given up hope. 

This was the article in question if you want to read it.
*Antonio Regalado. Technology Review. Cambridge: May/June 2000. Vol.103, Iss.3; pg.80

It would probably be implemented in supercomputers and the sort of computers the CIA or FBI would be using.

My dad works for the FBI and says they'd probably never pay that much for one, lol.

Ok... This is rather wierd... Imagine a computer with insect exoskeleton chips... Even if it is so... The DNA would have to be contained and if used as a hard drive, would constantly need to change its structure, we would need some micromachine to do that, and if it becomes unstable? I would not even want to dream of the consequences...

A most interesting topic... Ever read Aurther C Clarke...?? in one of the Odessy series.. I think it was 3001Odessy, and this is further into the future circa 3K... earth sends out a ship equipped with a computer based on a nural network that is 'grown' through manupulated dna & nural cells... it is capable of storage and extremely quick flop times... the machine is extremely well described and the book is fascinating to read. As many of you would be aware.. Arthur C Clarke is the forerunner in future thought.. of practical machines - particularly computing and space tech - all to come.. !! Most of the timelines for development of new technologies as predicted by him, based on the projections of growth and development of current technology (since the early 50's) have materialised to a high degree. A computer based on biometric design and capable of very high storage/ recovery data flows as well as massive processing power is well possible in the very near future. Already scientists are experimenting with software that link large number of computers into networks that emulate the structure of cells in the brain. This makes it possible to evaluate the kind of results that may be expected from programing an actual biological nural network computer. Recently I remember reading about a very successful experiment where nervous cells (cells that make up the nervous system and the brain), were connected, in regulated numbers and patterns, so as to create a learning 'brain'; all with cells harvested from mice. Unfortunately I cant seem to locate this bit of information, but I'll try to locate it for this article. The 'theory' and especially the reality of having biological computing systems, created by humans with the ability to learn, store and process quantum amounts of information is scary indeed in the practical sence; especially so since, once created, such an intellegence will look out towards self preservation (presumably) and may not be controlable. Also, since, such a system will have to be grown (and will grow according to the system's own growth requirements) there is the distinct possibility that such a computer may not hesitate to make copies of itself, all the while transmitting garnered information to the replicas. On the more positive side of things, if such systems are created and may be controlled to a high degree; most of the world's problems may be taken care of. Things like production, communication, providing 'for' the basic of necisities etc will be better managed for the human race (again an assumption) as well as the rest of the world's creatures, all the while creating numerous new technologies by using all the computational and data manupulation abilities, hastening progress.Rashid Ahmed

Heh, I saw something on tv about a computer based on DNA that can play OXO (or 3-in-a-line). It took half an hour to make one move but it never lost a game.Furthermore I remember seeing a foto in a magazine (the 'Kijk', a Dutch science magazine) depicting nano-cones one which a cell was grown. The material of the cones was kind of like the same material they use in biology to let viruses grow: a nutrient substance.But as a matter of fact, the best supercomputer available at the present time happens to be in possesion of every friend you have: a brain. The brain instantly recognises a gazillion of shapes, sounds, even expressions, and while doing this it sends pulses to every corner of your body and at the same time recieving a billion pieces of information back which are immediately processed. It can hold information for 100 years, selects what to remember and what to forget. It instantly recognises dangerous situations, and then blocks everything out that is irrelevant (it can even shut down your ability to see color). It produces hormones that makes able to reproduce and have feelings. It can think. -pants-That's quite some list, huh. And not it's not even close to half of what you brain is really able to! It is also famous for it's ability .... <starts a long and boring summary of what you brain can do, eventually ending with how he ties and unties his shoes>

Any other Brits thinking of the Boomtown Rats whilst reading this thread???The Silicon chip inside her head... :) As a watcher of Star Trek (I wouldn't go SO far as to say a fan) I keep thinking of the Neural Gel packs. I'm guessing these are based on a similar idea.

DNA would be relatively slow; we need fast, direct signals to run a computer.The most promising technology that I am aware of is quantum computers, where in scientists apply JS Bell's Theorum* to individual atoms and quarks to create an untra-fast, ultra-complex computer.*This states that if you 'entangle' two electrons if you change the spin of one of them, you will change the spin of the other at the same time no matter how far away they are from each other.I think that would be quite interesting as NASA could build encryption engines and launch them into deep space and they'd keep working. That would be literally impossible to hack.

Don't give up on silicon yet! It's true that limits are being reached with silicon transistors. Basically, speed in transistors can be improved by decreasing the size of the transistor. With dimensions approaching atomic layer thicknesses, there are some significant challenges to scaling any smaller. However, so much of our technology and fabrication processes are centred around silicon that it would require a monumental investment to switch to a different material. As a result, there is quite a bit of research being done into finding clever solutions to solve these problems, and it's paying off. Eventually though, you're right, we will hit a maximum limit for conventional transistors. At that time, there better be a new technology ready to step up, or else the industry will face a major crisis. I haven't read too much about DNA computing, but from what I know, it's still in the very early stages of research. I agree with JoeyG that quantum computing may be one of the next likely candidates. As well, optical computers look like a good alternative because photons travel much faster than electrons, hence this would dramatically increase the speed of the computer.

Dont count silicone out just yet !!!

http://phys.org/news/2005-04-material-world-fastest-transistor.html

They managed to push a new type of silicone transister to 604 Gigahertz !!!

Nice article, qwijibow! Very interesting to read, and I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who's keeping up-to-date on the transistor scene =)

I'd be interested to see if they will actually use this new transistor in commercial devices though because Gallium Arsenide is MUCH more expensive than Silicon and also more toxic.

Someone pointed out in the comments at the bottom of that article that this transistor is a BJT (bipolar junction transistor) while computers use MOSFETs (metal oxide semiconductor field effect transistors), and I think this is a very valid point to note. For anyone who's unfamiliar with what this means, I'll give a really short explanation. For those of you who know this already, you can skip this next part.

Basically a MOSFET has 3 main components: the source, the drain and the gate. When a voltage is applied at the gate, it creates a channel for electrons to flow from the source to the drain. The gate is separated from the rest of the device by an insulating layer of oxide. So, by using a small voltage we can essentially turn the transistor 'on' and 'off'. BJT's are current controlled devices, which make them much more tricky to deal with.

So anyways, what's the biggest problem with MOSFETs right now? Well, the oxide is so thin that current is leaking through and escaping through the gate. Even when the transistor is turned off, there is still leakage current. This reduces their reliability and drastically increases the amount of power they consume. What is the solution? Well, at the moment it seems that using a different oxide material would do the trick (all transistors use silicon dioxide traditionally, because it's very easy to grow on top of silicon, and very compatible in many important ways). Intel thinks they may have found one that works and are predicting a teraherz MOSFET by 2007. You can check out the press release here.

Whew, that was way longer than I thought. Sometimes I get carried away when talking about semiconductor devices cause they're just so COOL! If anyone else has any news, or wants any of the above clarified or explained better, please let me know =)

Dont count silicone out just yet !!!

http://phys.org/news/2005-04-material-world-fastest-transistor.html https://l''>https://l'>http://phys.org/news/2005-04-material-world-fastest-transistor.html https://l

They managed to push a new type of silicone transister to 604 Gigahertz !!!

1064298830[/snapback]

I would hope that this kind of speed would keep us satisfied for at least a few more years *grins*

Personally ... the DNA computing thing is mildly freaky, for me at least. Although my writer's imagination can't help but think of all sorts of odd things, like having to spit into a cup attached to my computer to make it boot up.

Hahahahaa spitting into the teacup to boot the comp up. ROFL... :) I haven't had such a good laugh in a while. I must say you have an extremely active imagination dude ;) Good one - any more such methods you can enlist ?? ;) Would be fun to start a thread on that - Your imaginary alternative booting mechanism ...

Wow .. this is sort of mind blowing. I mean, DNA running a computer? It's just unbelievable how far we've come in such a short time. Computers have been "mainstream" for what, 10 years? Clunky, slow, text based systems have evolved into sleek, speedy machines run by DNA. Cool or what!?I can't even begin to fathom what we will have in 10 more years. Mind activated computers? Nerve controlled? Hah, the possibilities are endless. GREAT article! Thanks for bringing this bit of info to my attention. xD

Well I think that DNA computing is still very much in its infancy. At a superficial level, it definitely sounds fundamentally better than a standard binary system. Quantum computing also sounds interesting... though I'm not sure if it is quite as ahead (research wise) as DNA computers. The limitations with DNA computing will be how to make it more 'solid state.' As it is, they are doing wet computations. When they figure out how to get this going... then DNA computer will become less novelty and more reality