xisto Community
evion

Linksys Hardware Failure?

I share a wireless network with my family. Because i only bought ONE external wireless network adapter (Compex), only one person gets to use at a time. The compex adapter worked PERFECTLY and connected to my compex router with excellent speed (erm.. maybe because they're of the same brand??) A few days back i bought an internal wireless adapter (linksys) and tried to get it working on my computer so more than 2 people can surf the net at once. Unfortunately, it didn't work out well for me. I fixed it up and everything went well. I started configuring its settings to detect my wireless network. It didn't manage to detect it at all but my neighbor's network!I called the linksys company and they helped me out. I managed to install the original driver which comes with the linksys package and the internet suddenly came to me. I was so glad then. But when i left it on for about 3 hours, it got cutoff. After that fatefull moment, i m only able to get 3 or 4 stutters of my network when i try to connect.Today, i cannot even get a signal. I have no idea what happened. All the time it is able to connect to my neighbor's network but not mine!! I think it might be its sensibility problem... I'm so annoyed by it. I feel like getting another external adapter...Does anyone know my problem here? I've tried virtually everything to get this done with... :)

I have a linksys setup as well, but let me ask a couple of clarifying questions so we can better help you.First, what OS are you using?Second, is this an accurate picture of the wireless situation.The laptop with the linksys card used to get the neighbor, then got your compex router, and now gets nothing.The laptop with the compex card gets the compex router.Is that correct

Something to this, i think its always good to keep with the same brand. Wireless network, a friend and i were trying to set up. Used 2 wireless adapters and a router from US Robotics, worked beautifully. Then tried to integrate another wireless adapter by dlink, the connection was sketchy at best, abysmal at worse. We tried everything for about 2 weeks trying to get it working, till finnaly we just sent it back and got another USR one.

Hmm... big point there. But linksys is supposed to be an international brand, or so i heard. On the phone with some nice lady who helped me out for a long time, i was told that linksys is a bit sensitive. I don't think it is able to detect the "waves" emitting out of my "Compex" wireless router. Compex may not be a very known brand to you all but it is a Singapore brand just for your info. Maybe I should get a linksys router...I believe linksys will still work better than a compex one.

Here is another thing to think about. You may be on the same channel that your neighbor is on so try a different channel. His signal may be stronger than yours and is causing cancellation because you’re on the same frequency (channel) with his network.