xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jrdonjar0591

Installing Photoshop 7 On A Second Computer

Hey, I have Photoshop 7 on 1 of the computers in my house. In another one of the computers in my house, (which dosent have photoshop) I want to also get Photoshop7 on that computer. I bought a usb flashdisk(kingston 512MB). If I go to My computer/file,document, adobe,photoshop7, and drag that into my USB flash disk. And then take that USB flash disk and then put it into the other computer and then If i try to open It. Will it insall onto that computer? Is this even possible? If it is and there is a way of doing it can you please post it? Thanks.

Notice from microscopic^earthling:
Posted in wrong forum. This should go under Software > Graphics & Web Design. Topic moved.
Edited by NilsC (see edit history)

Sorry dude. it doesn't work that way. When you install any software on Windows, the main program files and some associated .dll files go into the installation directory you choose. But apart from that - the installers generally dump some more common .dll files into the Windows > System32 directory and creates some new registry entries too. Without these files & entries, your program wouldn't work. When you simply drag & drop the program folder into your USB drive and copy it over to the other system - the main program files get copied, but those reg. entries and system dlls stay back on the system with the original installation. Hence the copied program almost never works. In order to get it on your other system, you'll need the original Setup.exe that you used to install photoshop on the first system. Sorry to say, without that it's almost next to impossible - although there are some tools similar to Norton Ghost, that can track all these system changes made during an installation and can create a compact .exe file that'll dump the whole of a prior installation including all .dlls and reg. keys onto your new drive. But an not sure about the name - I mean I forgot which tools can do it... Try looking around and you might just be able to find one.. All the best :)

You should just use the installer. Programs have protection for that kind of things. I hate when I reinstall windows and I try to open a program or a game and it says that I need to reinstall the application.So as microscopic^earthling said, a program is the program itself, in some cases a bunch of files dropped in the windows folder and registry entrances, and even if they are not vital for the program to run, the application checks for them. Copy controlling protection....

yeh micro is right. you need the installation of the program to install the program onto any computer. the installer dont just install files onto your computer they also add registries to the registry. and they dont always be in one folder they can be in other locations too.so if you want to have photoshop on your other computers you will need the installation file. you mite have that on cd or something. or if its pre-installed on your computer (its already on there when you brought the computer). you probably cant do anything to get the installation. or can go on "them" websites to get them, but thats just wrong.

Hey, I have Photoshop 7 on 1 of the computers in my house. In another one of the computers in my house, (which dosent have photoshop) I want to also get Photoshop7 on that computer. I bought a usb flashdisk(kingston 512MB). If I go to My computer/file,document, adobe,photoshop7, and drag that into my USB flash disk. And then take that USB flash disk and then put it into the other computer and then If i try to open It. Will it insall onto that computer? Is this even possible? If it is and there is a way of doing it can you please post it? Thanks.

Posted in wrong forum. This should go under Software > Graphics & Web Design. Topic moved.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,

As others had mentioned do you need the installation CD-Rom or the Installation program to make this happen. But if you haven't this can you do it anyway but it's too complicated to explain here.

Good Luck...

Cheers!

Jens

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay I'm a little confused as to why you just didnt use the set-up disk in the first place.

Ha, if it was that easy then the whole world now had Photoshop on his computer :P . You need the install files and the keynumber to install it on a second computer so you'll need a cd or you have to download the PS files again.-=jeroen=-

I have to disagree with the Setup file needed. (sorry guys)I know what you're talking about with the setup files, but this is just a program that installs the files to the drive and registers it within the registry file, but we can do without it and if you look at my method of installing it on Linux, you'll definitely find how you can do the same thing with Windows without the installation CD (which was my first method). Just make sure you correct the registry with your computer's program locations.You may need to grab additional .dll files from your Windows System folder, but I never needed to for Linux (or did I?) but it will complain about which files are missing, so you'll just need to grab them and make sure they're in the right location, accessible to the program. This method described works for most programs without a setup file, just make sure you locate the correct registry locations for the file and you're set.However, what you're doing is considered, need I say... but do what you like, most people do anyways.Cheers,MCP.S. I believe Photoshop 8 is out, but I'm a GIMP user now.

I'm sorry to say that you can't do that because Photoshop also registers .dlls and registers registry keys for that program. So you can't just copy the files. You'll need to know what photoshop installed on your computer and configure it yourself if you don't have the cd. The most easy way is just get the cd againa nd install

Is anyone actually going to attempt this or does it sound impossible?

As a said, a setup program is just a program with set routines of extracting files to the choosen location, writing to your registry and that's it, there's nothing special about it, you could do it by hand if you understood the extraction process. However since you've already got it in extracted, the only thing needed to be done is grab the correct registry entries, grab the program files folder for PS7 copy it over to the other computer, update the registry and you're set.

PS7 on Linux

This guide above will show you how to do it, Linux did not need to register any special dlls, so I see no reason why windows would have to either, as long as it fills it's dependancy needs then it should be fine to do this way.

However there is a difference between Win9x/ME and Win2k/XP, if you're trying to interchange, then you should do it at your own risk.

Be sure to backup your registry before attempting to do anything like this and remember what steps you did in case you need to revert back.

Cheers,

MC

Realplayer/Quicktime/FlashplayerInstalling Photoshop 7 On A Second Computer

I am trying to do basically the same thing the other guy is doing with photoshoponly I'm trying to do it with Quicktime, Flashplayer, and Realplayer. I downloaded the programs at a friends house and copied them onto my flash drive. If I install them in my computer (Which doesn't have internet access, will the programs run or do I have to download an installer too?

-reply by Tony

Reinstalling adobe ps3 without deactivating beforehandInstalling Photoshop 7 On A Second Computer

Is it possible to reinstall Adobe PS3 using the same CD after I had reformatted my com? Or must I purchase another CD in order to do so?

I had already installed once before, but I did not deactivate it before I reformat my com. :(

-reply by Jane