xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
chaosx2x

FTP: Access Denied For Newly Created User (cPanel) Help pls

Two days ago i made a new account ftp for Trekkie101. The procedure told me all done successfully but when Trekkie attempt to login into the FTP it didn't work. :D

331 User Trekkie101 OK. Password required    PASS (hidden)
530 Authentication failed, sorry
    Cannot login waiting to retry (30s)...

can anyone help me?

---------------------------
Topic edited to reflect a more relevant context
Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

After you create the account, go back to the main page where you manage your ftp accounts.You should see all the accounts that were generated automatically when you signed up, and also one called "Trekkie101@yoursubdomain.astahost.com"The user name is not "Trekkie101", it is the "Trekkie101@yoursubdomain.astahost.com." I had that problem also when creating an ftp account, until I went back and looked at the FTP account manager :D

Just a thought because I'm the worst newbie in ftp. For ftp accounts, when you create one for another person, does it mean the account takes part of your bandwidth and space and it becomes a whole new webhosting account but without all the features? Something like a file-uploading host? OR Does it make it so that your "friend" can access your files in YOU ftp? Sorry I'm quite a loser in ftp. I'm not sure about all of this ftp talk. Just know that it looks like "My documents" as in explorer =).

Just a thought because I'm the worst newbie in ftp. For ftp accounts, when you create one for another person, does it mean the account takes part of your bandwidth and space and it becomes a whole new webhosting account but without all the features? Something like a file-uploading host? OR Does it make it so that your "friend" can access your files in YOU ftp? Sorry I'm quite a loser in ftp. I'm not sure about all of this ftp talk. Just know that it looks like "My documents" as in explorer =).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When you create an FTP account for a friend, you give them permission to upload files onto your account. You can tell them where to upload the files - such as in public_html/friend and they will only have access to that folder, so they cannot see or modify stuff in the public_html folder, but only in the folder that you ahve allowed them access to.

You can also give your friend's FTP account a "quota" of a certain number of megabytes, limiting the space they have to upload files to. In short though, yes, when you give a friend an FTP account on your site they will upload the files to YOUR site - and therefore take up your space, and consume your bandwidth if other viewers access those files that your friend uploaded.

Hope the helps! If you have any more questions, just post here.

Cheers :D

-ignition

Hmm... having the same prob, but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I create the account, set the password, set the directory they can upload to. I open smartFTP and punch in newuser@mysubdomain.astahost.com, enter the user name I just set, and the password I just set, yet it still says "Authentication failed."

Hmm... having the same prob, but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I create the account, set the password, set the directory they can upload to. I open smartFTP and punch in newuser@mysubdomain.astahost.com, enter the user name I just set, and the password I just set, yet it still says "Authentication failed."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here we go.

ftp server:  ftp.subdomain.astahost.com

username: username@subdoman.astahost.com

password: newuserpassword

Type this information into you account manager substituting your information for username and domain name.

Good Luck, :P

vujsa