xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Shogi

Discussion On Anime

i just though I'd start a thread where we can all talk about anime, though ideally this would be a sub-forum, as I've had numerous experiences with anti-anime flamers that ruin good threads.Honestly I like anime because its a really cool art style, and tbh, most anime directors arent afraid to and even make it a point to address controversial issues or taboos like Adam and Eve and religion in general. The series are great too because unlike American cartons, they don't usually go on forever, and its generally one big story arc. no random adventures that are compeltely irrelevant to last weeks episode. they tell the story and theyre done, they dont drag it out. short sweet to the point and not dragged down by the FCC.My favorites:Anime:NarutoThe Big OTrigunHellsingNeon Genesis EvangelionFull Metal AlchemistGhost in the Shell :Stand Alone ComplexBerserkFooly Cooly (FLCL)GungraveFull Metal PanicMovies:AkiraGhost in the Shell 1 & 2Jin-Roh: The Wolf BrigadePrincess MononokeVampire Hunter D: BloodlustGundam Wing: Endless Waltz

Edited by miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG (see edit history)

That last paragraph may be why you didn't list Inuyasha. I love the show but... come on! It's 164 episodes and they never even kill the bad guy! I've seen Trigun, The Big O, Ghost in the Shell:SAC and couldn't keep my eyes off. However one which really touched me was Full Metal Alchemist. I [somehow recieved] all 50 episodes and just watched them end-to-end for 25 hours. Best way to watch anime I feel, like a VERY long movie. About FMA, I became very attached to the chracters, and as serious as it could be, it fit humor into those situations. For example, 'Mr. Clean'. I thought he looked like him originally, so when a filler episode was made around that idea it was 27 minutes of rotflmao. Sadly, I can't watch the english version on [adult swim] beacuse their voices, I just can't get attached to.

hahah yeah, i hear ya, but the dubs are better than some ive heard. ahh mr. clean, that was freakin hilarious.one of the best things abotu FMA was how well thought out the whole alchemy thing was. i also like how they used a lot of greek and other mythology.and Inuyasha... ugh. it reaks of randomness, the story seems to go on forever, and the whole thing ultuimatey felt stupid to me. im not tryin to be mean or anything, it just wasnt very good. too focused on comedy. of course i guess thast partly cuz im biased towards action anime. the same goes for Kenshin, which was ruined by the randomness and the ridiculous number of episodes. i would have LOVED kenshin if it werent so long and random.

Ah... *rolls up sleeves* This is a topic I would be able to post a lot... considering my fellow japanese cultural club mates are thinking of naming me the most "otaku" around.I've watched a lot of anime... Been watching anime since... 5... 6 years ago? I love the medium, although sometimes I think the manga is better than the animated version (especially for all CLAMP anime, like Cardcaptor Sakura and Chobits, the manga is much better than the anime).Currently I have quite a few "favourite" animes. I would watch ANYTHING done by Makoto Shinkai (he did Hoshi no Koe, and the recent Beyond The Clouds), his work is exquisite and has such a depth and breadth to the plot, art, story as well as music, as do Hayao Miyazaki (he did Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke). I love light-hearted funny animes, like Full Metal Panic Fumoffu, Yakitake Ja-Pan, School Rumble, Kyou Kara Maou etc. Anime that have a very interesting plot that draws me in are favourites too, stuff like the short animated clip Comedy, Kite, Uta-Kata. Cool animes like Bleach, Initial D, Shura No Toki, Samurai Champloo. I'm a big fan of preWWII Japan, so shows like Peacemaker Kurogane and Rurouni Kenshin are a few of my favourites...Yeah. A lot of anime. I tend to know the newer animes better than the older animes. I've not watched Naruto, Inu Yasha or Hellsing. I have watched Full Metal Alchemist though, as well as NGE and Trigun. I just watched a few random episodes of One Piece today and decided I like it. *grin* Oh, and one of my biggest fandoms is Prince of Tennis.I cosplay too! Anyone else here cosplays?

Ha, I cosplayed as Inuyasha for haloween every year during high school. I made the kimono myself, but usually fell apart after a day. Senior year I had an identical kimono, sheath/tsuka, kotadama rosary, wig, ears, and shiny red shoes. I sold the outfit for $200! Maybe I'll upload a pic of Junior year...

Wow. $200? I handsew most of my costumes so I don't think I can sell them, I still have most of them with me. Sometimes I cosplay the same character for some last-minute cosplay so the costumes are very handy. I don't usually cosplay very popular characters though, don't think anyone would want to buy my costumes... O-o. I can sew kimonos quite well though, thinking of making some and selling for a side-hobby.

Don't forget about Gundam SEED...I never liked the series before SEED but the one after it, Gundam SEED Destiny takes place 2 years after the events of Gundam SEED when both Earth Alliance and ZAFT signed a treaty after the destruction of the superweapon GENISIS. I do recommend both of this series simply because I love it but watch SEED first so that you will understand what's going on.

I could write a huge, long thing about the ups and downs of all my top favourite anime shows ...

...Or I could simply tell you all that you must watch Last Exile. If you have only one anime that you are ever allowed to see again, let it be LE. I cannot express how much that show got to me haha. It was on Anime Unleashed at midnight for a month or so, and I can assure you that I did not get enough sleep at ALL that month. My sleeping habits were entirely screwed up by that show.

Then I ended up watching the entire season in a single day marathon. Oh man. That was one of the best days ever haha.

Man, that sounds really lame now. But oh well! Murata's designs, a dub that actually does not suck, beautiful animation, memorable characters ... I am in love.

Haha. Other than that, I really do not like watching anime all that much. I prefer to read manga.

Manga: Angel Sanctuary, Under the Glass Moon, Seimaden, Utena, FAKE, Graviation, Boy's Next Door, D.N. Angel, Hellsing, Yami no Matsuei, Fushigi Yuugi, Naruto, and a number of others.

Anime: Last Exile, Shoujo Kakumei Utena, Last Exile, Yami no Matsuei, Angel Sanctuary, Slayers TRY, Last Exile, Nightwalker, Houshin Engi

Movies: Shoujo Kakumei Utena, Mononoke Hime, Spirited Away

I could go on for awhile. I have never been to an anime convention, but if I could sew I would be going and cosplaying all the time.

Mmm. Super nerdage. :P

the place to find and get anime is http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ to releases. Check it daily.For backlog stuff, you will need to get on irc. Go download mIRC (http://www.mirc.com/) and then connect to irc.rizon.netOn baka-updates you can find most group's IRC channel. Many/most are on rizon these days. Use /j #groupchannelname to jointhen use either !list to see a list of servers or xdcc list. Be careful though, some groups don't like people using xdcc list, and may kick/ban you if you use it. So check first.Let me know if that helps.

That last paragraph may be why you didn't list Inuyasha.  I love the show but... come on! It's 164 episodes and they never even kill the bad guy!  I've seen Trigun, The Big O, Ghost in the Shell:SAC and couldn't keep my eyes off.  However one which really touched me was Full Metal Alchemist.  I [somehow recieved] all 50 episodes and just watched them end-to-end for 25 hours. Best way to watch anime I feel, like a VERY long movie.

About FMA, I became very attached to the chracters, and as serious as it could be, it fit humor into those situations.  For example, 'Mr. Clean'.  I thought he looked like him originally, so when a filler episode was made around that idea it was 27 minutes of rotflmao. 

Sadly, I can't watch the english version on [adult swim] beacuse their voices, I just can't get attached to.

1064293852[/snapback]

Thats because you need to read the manga. There are over 200 manga "epasodes".

:huh: I love Naruto, I have all 163 epasodes that are out in japan right now, and counting. (Thank God for naruto-kun.com)

I have watched. And like.

Love Hina'

Ranma 1/2

Inyuyasha

Tenchi Muyo

Naruto

Trigun

Ghost In The Shell

oddly... Rave Master...

Ichgo 100%

Gun Grave

Samuri Shamploo

Rouruni kenshin

Cyborg 009

Evalon Neon-Genisis ( I think thats how it is spelled)

Goemon

R.O.S.E (R.O.S.E stands for Rush On Seven Epasodes Also an MMO)

GTO

ROD (Read Or Die)

Immortal Grand Prix

Xenosaga

X

and Case Closed

I'll be expanding the ones I have seen/read when I recall them.

My whole family are fans of all of Miyazaki's films: Naoshka (Nausica), Laputa(Castle in the sky), Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Princess Mononoke, and Howl's Moving Castle. We own all the DVDs except for Howl's Moving Castle which we saw in the theater. We watch them repeatedly and never tire of them. I originally saw most of these in Japanese without even subtitles so I could only guess what they were saying, but I still loved them.Metropolis was not bad but Steam Boy was lacking and neither have the genius of Miyazaki's work. Ghost in the Shell 1&2 was pretty good. We would watch a lot of the other anime if it was available at Blockbuster, but we are not going to buy them.I despise American animation with its busy noisy joke every second and I think it is artless tacky and even trashy. The last good Walt Disney animation I can think of was Beauty and the Beast.I am also a complete nuts for the the Japanese television animation, "Hikaru no Go." I am currently in the middle of watching its 75 episodes for the 7th time.

My favourite anime is - Shin Chan. He's just ace lol.I don't really watch much TV and when I do, it's only for the films, CSI and some other stuff.As for comics, doesn't float mi boat.Online anime - fun to look at the designs of the sites, but the cartoons aren't anything special to me.

Oh Anime ! I was about to finish my end project for history/esthetics about Anime.

My favorite series is Full Metal Alchemist for sure. It's a great storyline and plot unlike any other series, mixed with great soundtrack and mix of drama and humour. The humour is silly and good while the drama parts take their pride with the soundtrack, character evolution and setting. The power of alchemy is quite cool and interesting too.

Too bad the movie wasn't that good though. I really recommend FMA.

Second, Basilisk. Basilisk is about two ninja villages who hate each other for centuries, and a war errupts. The soundtrack is my favorite, anime wise, and the combat is great. The plot may seem dull however I ensure you it is not.

Thirdly, Full Metal Panic: Fumuffo. It's a spinoff series from Full Metal Panic, but damn hilarious.

other series I remember watching:

-Naruto

-Bleach

-Samurai Champloo

-Samurai 7

-Ranma 1/2

-Love Hina

-Oh My Goddess

-Blood+

-Goldenboy

-Full Metal Panic

I stopped following Naruto and Bleach as the storyline just drifted and the majority of episodes became fillers. I hope to follow Naruto again soon, after the timegap. Naruto is the first serie of Anime I got into (besides pokemon on TV).

As for Manga I only read up on Naruto.