xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jrdonjar0591

Photoshop 7 What do You think of photoshop

I love photoshop. After you download some better filters and brushes there is so much you can do and make on the wonderful program. Do you guys know of any cool filters or things to download for photoshop. If so, please post it. Thanks. :D

We've compiled a pretty decent list on Graphic Design Resources based on members' contributions. You can take a look at it here: http://forums.xisto.com/topic/81982-topic/?findpost=1064289453
I'm sure you'll find a lot of links there for your Photoshop Filters as well as other photoshop resources.

I'm too scared to get CS in case i have to relearn everthing, i know it's stupid but to be honest i'm fine with 7. Another stupid thing i'm going to say is that like an idiot i had no idea you could download new filters. Are the sites to download these included on the resources list?

wow, i'm pissed. I was hoping there would be more changes...alright, let me backtrack. I just got a copy of the Photoshop CS 8.0 into my laptop (upgraded from 7.0). Yup, just made the change half and hour ago. I was hoping it'd be more powerful...but nope...it looks exactly the same as me. I played around with a but of CG, then moved on the abstract art, then tried a bit of tech designish things...I don't see a difference. The only MAJOR difference I noticed is the change of the logo...*sigh* this is rather disppointing. Can someone tell me what's the difference in the 8.0 version?And in regards to the original topic, I love photoshop too. I've played around with multiple art applications, and photoshop is definietly up there. I'm not too keen on using other's brushes though...it makes me feel like I'm using a premade image and it kinda feels degrading >_<

*grabs Photoshop CS manual**coughs* According to the manual, the changes for CS are-Enhanced File Browser (basically the ability to flag a picture, and edit the metadata of the picture through File Browser, oh, and perform batch procedures without opening the pictures)-Customisable keyboard shortcuts-Be able to create slide shows and pdf presentations (you can bind multiple files into a single, multi page PDF)-Can save your editing history onto an external log file or onto the metadata of a file-Filter Gallery, where you can see the effects of all filters on your object, and you can see layered filters without implementing them-Can build your own script for shortcuts and repetitive tasks-Customisable Help menu-Better RAW plugin (this one is really handy for photographers)-16-bit editing-Simulate photo filters (this is REALLY useful for me)-Shadow/Highlight command, Match Color command, Replace Color command.-New Lens Blur filter-Picture Package, which makes combining different images (for output I'm supposing) easy.-Editable text can be placed on a path and in a shape-Large document support (up to 300,000 x 300,000 pixels and 54 channels)-Create non-square documents (for video)-Presets for creating images for video-Ability to export layers easily to files.I actually bought the program and read the manual when I first bought it, so a lot of what was new didn't occur to me as new when I used it. Half the time I don't know whether a feature is new or not... Just use!Although, to be honest, if I hadn't gone to look it up in the manual, I also didn't remember a lot of the new features. Now that I've typed them out... O_o. Will be using some of them soon.I think it's more of improving the experience for three types of users: Photographers, Graphic Designers and Video Editors. And a lot of streamlining to make things faster, as well as giving more control over in dealing with both the pictures and the actual program.A lot of it is not what you would use from day to day, but I still think it's a good upgrade.

Can someone tell me what's the difference in the 8.0 version?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There were a few things added. The healing brush, a file viewer,.....um, some additional controls. Nothing as big as the new brush engine in the jump from 6 to 7. Oh, it now will take RAW images, and has 16 bit channel support. Hmmm....looking. It allows you to directly affect darks and highlights. It has a multi-layer heal(I wish they had more multi layer tools).

There are also apparently some weird features, like non-square pixels. There appear to be a bunch more but I didn't understand them well enough to list here.

What might be the problem in your case is that you don't use these features. Remember that photoshop caters to a WIDE set of graphics interests, so while it might be a decent upgrade, it may not matter in your case.

yeah after i read some reviews on adobe photoshop cs, i decided not to upgrade since it didn't seem to have any really incredible features. I'll probably wait until a newer version (maybe the next one) if it has a great improvement or adds new features. See now with all that money i saved from upgrading i'm putting it towards my own computer! :D

I have photoshop elements for work and am waiting to be upgraded to CS. Elements is virtually impossible to do most of the stuff available in the full versions of photoshop. Is anyone familiar with Photoshop Elements?? I would like to know more of the limitations or maybe some shortcuts to do stuff that would be more apparent with photoshop. I have been told that not everything is in the book. Any info anyone knows about this program would be helpful cause I am having a difficult time using it for anything. Thanks.Happy Designing.

I like what you have all said. WHat do you think about C4D. Its alot of money but is it worth it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not really. Not unless you KNOW that C4D is the program you are going to work in, which is unlikely. For 3d modeling, go with Maya, and download their personal learning edition. Or, if you want to do real freelance work, go get Blender3d.

https://www.blender.org/

Blender is a FREE 3d program that is about as good as the commercial ones like C4D. It is certainly good enough for you to cut your teeth on and do work with till you figure out which commercial 3d program you want. Also, it has plenty of free documentation such as...

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro

Granted, a Photoshop thread is the wrong place to ask (and answer), but oh well.

I like what you have all said. WHat do you think about C4D. Its alot of money but is it worth it?

Personally I am a big fan of Cinema 4D...but as MajesticTreeFrog said, it may be best to explore free applications for 3D modeling/rendering before deciding upon which software you may want to use. I never tried the free applications myself, but after using 3D Studio Max on someone else's computer, I decided to avoid it and use a smaller program. Studio Max is powerful, but very slow...
As for the Photoshop CS...I don't think it's worth installing onto one's computer if you have Photoshop 7. CS doesn't have anything worth changing in my opinion. It'd be safer to stick with version 7...plus I found CS to have a hard time loading certain .psd files I made with Photoshop 7...I'm not sure if that's just me =/

The reason for getting CS is digital photography. Almost all of the improvements were aimed at that, but for good reason. Digital photography was just hitting the big time, and not having something called 'photoshop' be able to do everything you need related to, well, photos, probably seemed pretty silly.So, they made CSIf you don't do much digital photography(especially high end digital photography), and you don't expect to do any in the near future, don't get CS. Wait till May at least and get CS2.

I realize that this is an older topic, but I really try to refresh my thoughts on a lot of designing forums.I am always reformatting my PC, so I load in many filters, as is the same with Dreamweaver. So I reformat and lose all of the filters and plugins that I have loaded in beforehand. I don't really do too many filters these days.... I have gotten lazy.When I was loading up a lot of fliters I would try different bevels and lattice designing. I just go crazy with doing banners, so I am always trying to find ways of styling fonts for banners or whatnot. I don't really do the heavy loaded filters. I have seen some being overkilled. Highlight an area select the filter and it's all filled in already. I like little filters that change by option selections, not having different versions of difference clouds and renderings.I may be a bit prudish, but I have played with a lot of filters that change the whole concept of what I am designing... so that is why I don't really jump the gun on installing a lot of filters... If I play around again, I may change my mind.... or if someone on the forums have something that is fantastic to use.

lol we have photoshop 7 at schools, its worse than CS2!i cant stand photoshop at all, any version. i prefer paint.NET over photoshop.why are people (mainly the new people) digging up all of these old topics from 2005?