xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
moonwitch1405241479

Sygate Personal Firewall Pro anyone have issues with it?

Hi, it's me again LOL...Anyways, yesterday I went through a series of problems connecting to Yahoo, Paltalk, ANY chat client for that matter, I also seemed unable to have Thunderbird connect to my ISPs pop3. I figured it was just a coincidence, but after half a day, I finally decided I had enough and started looking around. I found out that when I disabled my Sygate, I could connect to those services, when I enabled it, I couldn't. The weird thing is, I've been using Sygate for a few weeks now and never had those issues, my rules were not changed or updated. I made sure that PT (PalTalk) and Thunderbird had full allow open even. But it did not change a thing. In the past I have tried ZoneAlarm and found it NOT nice. I am a person who likes to be able to configure a lot :D and ZA did not meet my standards. The problem is (I disabled the firewall completely - I also noticed that when I rebooted my pc, my network card doesn't start up automatically, which well it used to do LOL) on PalTalk there are a few really rotten apples, (I can fill an entire Board on them alone LOL) that in the past have tried a few things on my pc, so I prefer to actually have a firewall running (even though I at the moment still run ProtectX and ProPort, which scans MY ports)Does anyone have an idea on how to fix the Sygate issue? Or recommend me a good, highly configurable firewall? Preferably free, but I don't mind a paid one either... heh, I did learn that it pays off to pay for security.. :D

Certain issues arises when installing two software firewalls in a sole pc. I guess you better check it out if you have completely uninstalled ZA from your system. Probably checking out you registry and see if traces of ZA is still there. But I doubt it, ZA, completely uninstall everything. I have used Sygate before and my main problem is its so robust, slowing up everything. Im not so familiar with Sygate. When I hit the "anonymous surfing" or something like that... it drastically changed and slowed up everything. So i guess it would be advisable to lower up everything in Sygate.

Another thing I have observed about Sygate is is doenst uninstall completely, (this was before, i dont know maybe they have updated the program now) leaving traces in your registry. Upon uninstalling sygate and installing another software firewall it would tell you to "certain issues arises when using this firewall with sygate, please uninstall it." so "regedit" and removing it from the start up solved the problem out.

Last thing I hate about Sygate is its a source hog. It will eat up a lot of your memory screwing up everything.

If you have something that works like Sygate, I would suggest either Kerio or Outpost. I have used Kerio for years, and personally favors it...but lately I have to uninstall it since my housemates dont have any idea about it. So ZA was the option, its so much easier to configure and use. :D

agnitum outpost ---> http://www.agnitum.com/index.php
kerio personall ---> http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

both are free for personal use..

Antionline Firewall recommendations..http://www.antionline.com/showthread.php?265820-OMG-Is-this-a-logfile-of-me-being-hacked-on-IIS&s=&highlight=firewall+recommendations

- Sygate – 81 times. *Doesn’t even have to look back to see who’s chasing them.- Zone Alarm – 60 times. *Folks still switching to Sygate, Outpost, and Kerio.
- Outpost – 48 times. *Really favored 2002-2003 and moving up on ZA.
- Kerio - 44 times. *More popular 2003-2005 and continuing to increase.
- Tiny – 27 times. *Really popular 2002.
- Norton – 13 times
- Checkpoint – 12 times
- BlackIce - 9 times
- McAfee - 6 times
- VisNetic – 4 times
- ICF (XP) – 3 times
- Bordermanager – 2 times
- Look’n’Stop – 2 times
- Symantic – 2 times
- Jetico – 1 time
- BitGuard – 1 time
- Gnatbox – 1 time
- Kaspersky – 1 time
- OmniQuad –1 time

THank you!ZA is fully gone, because it messed up my pc to the extend that in order to get it removed from registry (which I did try, but somewhere I must have done something wrong because my laptop told me I no longer had a cdrom drive, and in order to reinstall the drivers I had to put the disk in the cdrom??????) So I got fed up, and reinstalled LOL.I will give Kerio a try, and I also heard some good things about BlackIce. And if worse comes to worse... heh, I just reinstall Windows LOL, a clean sweep wouldn't hurt my system, in fact I normally reformat every 6 months and I am late for that LOL. Again, thank you :D