xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
silverkirfsco

SATA Or IDE HardDrive?

SATA is newer than IDE right?  so what are the advantages of SATA over IDE?

also, is sata more or less expensive?  and what one has more options?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here goes ....

Most new motherboards come with both SATA and IDE slots - SATA (Serial Advanced Technology Attachment) of course is the newer architecture. SATA2 - almost in production by now is even faster (300Mbps).

The SATA drives don't use flat ribbon cables that were being used so far for CD-Drives and HDDs. Instead it uses a small 4 pin molex connector making it much easier to plug-in and remove. The narrow cables allows a lot more airflow inside the cabinet too. Besides as far as I know, SATA Drives are Hot Swappable too.

The power cable is different too - so if you are going for SATA you've to upgrade your power supply (SMPS). Although you could use your normal SMPS with a addon power adapter that'd fit into the SATA power port.

Speeds: SATA is 150Mbps while IDE (ATA133) is 133Mbps - but the IDE drives hardly ever reached that speed except for short sporadic bursts but the SATA drives consistently maintain that data flow rate. Even though you might not notice initially - if you compare their access speed parallely you'd surely see for yourself.

I've been using SATA for a while now and I do feel the increase in speed and much smoother reads/writes, less heat inside the cabinet.... If you're going for a HDD upgrade, I'd say SATA is the way to go..... :D

ofcourse SATA tends to be more expensive.

http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/cl/45/Optical-Drives
http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/cl/744/NAS-Servers

And you will need a new-ish motherboard (maybe less than 2 years old ???)

Ok.. so SATA can run at 150mbps..
what speed hard disk is that ?

i see sata disks that run at 7200RPM and 10000 RPM.
is their much advantage over the faster disk ?

SATA is newer however it does require motherboard support and isn't just supported naturally. I will say after seeing my housemates SATA HDD formatting in about 10 seconds however it is very very quick and i wouldn't buy a machine without SATA support.

CD / DVD disk drives are usually IDE.
do SATA cd/dvd drives exist ????

there isnt much point in getting a SATA cdrom drive, since the cdrom read/write speeds are all much much much slower than the IDE bandwidth.

do they even make SATA motherboards without IDE ???

I will say after seeing my housemates SATA HDD formatting in about 10 seconds

thats actually quite slow...

i can format me IDE 80gig hard disk in about 2 or 3 seconds depending on the filesystem.

There is a good article and product comparison chart in the March 2005 issue of PC World. They cover storage capacity and transfer times, even breaking it down to "Cost per gigabyte."

http://www.pcworld.com/article/119271/article.html

One of the most simple and practical advantages was touched on by microscopic^earthling.

[*]The SATA drives don't use flat ribbon cables that were being used so far for CD-Drives and HDDs. Instead it uses a small 4 pin molex connector making it much easier to plug-in and remove. The narrow cables allows a lot more airflow inside the cabinet too. Besides as far as I know, SATA Drives are Hot Swappable too.

This should have been a logical advancement in PC technology a long time ago. Those wide ribbon cables have always been impractical for working in tight spaces and can really block airflow. The smaller, thin SATA cables make perfect sense.

True - the new cables rock !!! It's so easy to plug/unplug now. And so much more room inside the cabinet.. no ugly twists and turns of the ribbon cables - no fear of causing microtears in them rendering them useless.. The new SATA cables work real good. You're right that they should have upgraded to SATA type connectors far ealier. Now waiting up for SATA2 to hit the market. BTW, does anyone have/know of any comparision chart between SATA and SCSI ??? That'd be an interesting reading.

BTW, does anyone have/know of any comparision chart between SATA and SCSI ??? That'd be an interesting reading.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I haven't found a complete comparison chart, but I did locate some good articles.

Here is a recent and in-depth feature in Network Computing.

Here is a side-by-side from 18 months ago in Processor.

Here is a real-world test scenario.

And as a resource, Seagate's SATA FAQ

I'm going to to keep looking for charts. :D

I don't think there are motherboards with ONLY SATA. Even though... It might work for Servers.

And like qwijibow said, it would be a waste to make SATA cd/dvd drives.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why? Because they wouldn't use the new bandwith? Today's hd's don't... There are other important advantages of SATA. Like the round cables. I think ide will be gone in a while, maybe the future is for sata, maybe not and another standard will rise, but ide must die! :D:D

I use an adapter for my IDE drives and it will clock at SATA speed. And my Striped RAID array on my SATA installs Windows in about 10 minutes when i use my SATA DVD writer

for me SATA is better than EIDE, i've tried both drives and theperformance of my pc has been incremented very very much, but when i bought my SATA hard drive it was more expensive than an EIDE hard drive, it was newest technology and so it has a major price, but now the prizes aare quite the same, i Italy a SATA haard drive with 200GB of capacity cost me about 109€ and EIDE hard drive costs me about 90-100€ so i think it's better buy a SATA drive.i didn't any test as magazine's test (PC world etc..) but i've only installed my SATA disk and installed the os and all my programs, and i've seen that performance was better then an EIDE drive :)