xisto Community
moonwitch1405241479

Upgrading An Ancient Notebook which HD?

Ok, now I have a real question, I intent to actually do this, so please do not give me the bad advice LOL...

Currently I only have a 12GB HD in an IBM Thinkpad 390E (the series with a 14.1inch screen). I would like to have a bigger HD, anything more than 12GB, the idea is so that I can run a Dual Boot more or less. Well, it doesn't have to take me to dual boot :) I could for example keep this 12GB for Linux and use the bigger one for Win. Or something like that. Anyhow that is the goal.

Does anyone know which HD I can use? I don't know which MB this thing has (looked on the IBM site). Here are whatever tech specs I can find :)

Processor -> PII 333MHz
RAM -> 256MB which is the maximum.
HD -> IBM standard 12GB
Current OS -> Win 2000 Pro (for anyone who wishes to know, I can run Photoshop 7, Flash MX 2004 Pro, PSP9, Dreamweaver MX, Delphi 6)

This is what I could find on the IBM.com site.

I can come up with a few from Ebay. Finding them new seems to be harder LOL (I at one point actually asked in a hardware store)

I just found this article..... and I wanna cry now LOL
Bad News (Max storage?)

Step up to the maximum data storage capacity for the ThinkPad 390 with the new IBM 12 GB Hard Disk Drive (HDD) with Adapter option. Travelers who want to take everything with them on their ThinkPad have almost no limits. Huge video, audio, and Internet files can easily share space with e-mail, spreadsheets, personal organizers, and custom screen savers. More disk space can be allocated for integrated fax, graphics, Internet, and multimedia functions.

lol im sorry to sya it but you're boned :)with a processor that slow...it would be pretty hard to maintain a dual boot for starters...Secondly I have no idea how you are running the programs you mentioned :( Plus installing a enw harddrive into sucha old shool thinkpad would be really hard...considering there is limited space inside thoses...and everypiece of hardware of custome shaped for a certain kind of laptop...So I dunno how to tell you this...But I think you should just get yourself a cheap desktop and a credit card :)Sorry I couldn't have been mroe helpfull

lol im sorry to sya it but you're boned :)

with a processor that slow...it would be pretty hard to maintain a dual boot for starters...Secondly I have no idea how you are running the programs you mentioned :(

Plus installing a enw harddrive into sucha old shool thinkpad would be really hard...considering there is limited space inside thoses...and everypiece of hardware of custome shaped for a certain kind of laptop...So I dunno how to tell you this...

But I think you should just get yourself a cheap desktop and a credit card :(

Sorry I couldn't have been mroe helpfull

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I expected this spacewaste, but I do appreciate the reply :) thanks.... Firstly, I don't have any idea how those programs are able to run on the machine but they do LOL. Thing is they do run slow LOL... Photoshop works pretty ok ;) just takes a lil while to start up. Flash is ok too, the worst actually is PSP9 and Delphi (takes 10 min to start).

Maybe I just manage it well :D (on background I always have Sygate, ProtectX, Proport, AVG, Abyss WebServer and Yahoo running ;))

And yes, I need and want a new system...

good lord....that is pretty crazy that you have that many thigns running on background! you should look into egtting xp though? they have a nice paging system that allows you to have a good amount of swap space when needed.And I was just thinking about it and you probably could find a bigger harddrive, but you wouldn't be able to hold both inside your computer I don't think :)Sorry about your luck...I will search ebay 2night for you though.L8r

Actually, for the cost of 'upgrading' your old laptop, you could buy a new laptop with the same or better specs and a nicer Li-ion battery.

(hint: get an ibook)

:)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know, but still it was worth the overthinking... and I can't switch to Mac solely, somewhere I need to have a windows :) I use a few programs to communicate with friends that has no mac or linux client (PalTalk - and yes, it's with spyware IF you have the free name there :() I used to consider less functionality in MSN groups (when posting on site) as a point, but heh, FireFox is not supported either (I didn't really expect it to be) so I post in HTML there LOL I just code it on the spot (although if I want to use colors, I do look them up :()

Now is an iBook really THAT good? I've never used a Mac so I don't know...

I don't know where you come from but you may want to consider budget laptops from companies like ECS but the thing is that they are based in Taiwan and I don't know if they have any suppliers in your area.My classmate built his own G900 with the parts he bought from a local supplier and the setup was rather easy.It came with a Pentium 4 2.8GHz Processor, 40GB Hard Drive, 512MB RAM and so on at a price of S$2,399.Note that the cost of the OS is not included but he used Fedora Core 3.

I don't know where you come from but you may want to consider budget laptops from companies like ECS but the thing is that they are based in Taiwan and I don't know if they have any suppliers in your area.My classmate built his own G900 with the parts he bought from a local supplier and the setup was rather easy.It came with a Pentium 4 2.8GHz Processor,  40GB Hard Drive, 512MB RAM and so on at a price of S$2,399.Note that the cost of the OS is not included but he used Fedora Core 3.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's still pretty pricey I think. I had made a budget plan, meaning I looked for the parts I wanted (ok not exactly true - I wanted 1024MB DDR2, but I am NOT rich LOL)

I came at 1500€ ($2000) with 17 or 19" TFT included, no OS though. So I decided to stretch the budget for a pc to 2000€ ($2700) maximum. LOL. I'll post my specs to get your guys approval :D... I am just the kinda gal that has pretty high standards (good thing when I am doing something, but a bad thing because I am a perfectionist in everthing)

Oh, and about running XP on this machine, I have considered doing that, but my friend has the exact same laptop and she tried XP, took the laptop about 15 min to boot up and it was dreaded slow :D so I think I'll stick with 2k LOL. It's not like I am running a Dinosaur OS like another friend of mine does (Win 98Se)