xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
l337 Nurse Pedestrian

What's Smaller, Mp3, Wav, Or Mpg? Whats Smaller, Mp3, Wav, or MPG?

What's Smaller, Mp3, Wav, or MPG?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Which is smaller, I'm still trying to figure out, never been able to. They say that Mp3's are really small, and like a bunch of them can fit into a player, but yet it takes forever to download an Mp3, and they are sometimes 9 megabytes. I'm not quite sure about MPG audio, so I will go with Wave. What about you?

lol ... I think your poll's off on a pretty good start.. 1 point for each... The way I figure it is that WAV is good for very small files you want to transmit over the net (for example, onload of a browser).. however for quality sound I'd personally encode in MP3 .. you can dictate what rate of data the music should read at and 128kbps gives you near CD audio quality... but then, you'd have a problem playing Mp3 using an onload command for browsers... R.A

Well, .wav files can get huge... I once recorded (in win sound recorder) a song (me singing LOL) which was about a minute long. The file was over 15MB. So I recorded it (same song) in mp3 which was only 1,5MB. That should give it away :) mp3 is not only better in quality but compresses te file way smaller, which does make it ideal to transfer over the net :( I don't have any experience with the iTunes mpg audio, the only way I do know mpg is as movies, but you can't really compare movies (not full movies, but video clips, bloopers etc) with audio. Personally I think mp3 would be the smallest of the possible extensions you've provided, however; I do want to add that as someone in this thread mentioned, wma is the smallest compression format. I don't like wma (personal dislike for M$ products even though I do use windows :)), so I use mp3.

mp3 is Mpeg Layer-3.i think mpeg audio and mp3 are pretty much the same thing.Mp3's are compressed WAV'sWavs are Raw sound wave'sand the size depends on the audio quality and length of the sound.so i assume that you actually mean which format gives best compression at highest quality.Mp3 is lossy, but most are, its not a bad thing since microphos often pick up alot of noise which is out of the range of human hearing.ANyways, as far as i know, the best auio compression is .ogg (ogg vorbis)an open source fomat.for high non lossy compression, flac is probably your best betif you use MS windows, you probably cant play these formats out of he box (you need a plugin)the reason online music shops dont use ogg or flac, is because it doesnt support DRM.. which personally i think is a good thing... lol(DRM==Digital Rights mangment)

i think that mp3s are good so that you can transfer them into your mp3 player. and you can download easily in that format from the internet. i think wma are the smallest but dont know if the quality are good as the mp3s.i hate wav formatted files. theyre like cd tracks that aint been encoded properly. one track can be about 40mb!! thats alot to put onto a mp3 player, well not if you have a ipod. i only have a 512mb mp3 player which i brought off ebay. so if i pick for the smallest i pick the wma format. but if there are other varibles like the quality, amount of use (like used in mp3 players), freely available on the internet, things like that i pick the mp3. because its widely used and everyone knows it "go with the flow"

some links to my beloved OGG vorbis...

http://www.vorbis.com/

Ogg vorbis Better than MP3 ??
http://www.vorbis.com/faq/

compare for yourself !
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

and best of all, its free... no annoying patent issues.

some links to my beloved OGG vorbis...

http://www.vorbis.com/

Ogg vorbis Better than MP3 ??

http://www.vorbis.com/faq/

compare for yourself !

and best of all, its free... no annoying patent issues.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with qwijibow, OGG is better than Mp3 but it's not so popular, I use mp3 for music and it's quite small(I always use 192 Kbs VBR or 320 Kbs) and the sound is very good, somewhere 'ive read better than a wav,I use OGG only under linux instead of the Wav for the application sound and this is good too, I hate Wma...and the fact that many person use Window Media Player to rip cd... :)

Free Software R0cks :)

Mp3 or OGG is not better than wav.mp3 and ogg are compressed wav'sthey are also lossy meaning an mp3 or ogg will always be lower quality than a raw wav.however its usually not possable to tell the difference just by listening.

.wav is kinda big...IMO it is. 1 minute of audio = approximately 10 megabytes of space.mp3 however is 1 min of audio = 1 megabyte of space.mpg not too aware of. I thought mpg is movie..so obviously if u put video in there then it will be larger (unless bad quality and no sound) This is just my experience, with about the same quality of sound.

Mpeg Audio, just like there's Wmv (video) and Wma (audio).Actually Mp3's can be pretty big too. I've recorded a song that's about 3 minutes and got about 4mb, it was a wave. Then I have got an mp3, around 4 minutes and it's 9.33mb (more or less). So mp3 can be pretty big as well.

RIGHT !!!!

Like i said, MP3 is a type of MPEG audio ! (Mpeg version 1 layer 3)

Different version of Mpeg audio are used for different things, mpeg-2 is used on DVD players.

and finally......
wav is just uncompressed noise.
compressed formats like mp3 or ogg are always always always always always smaller than the wav that they were greated from.

all mp3 and ogg encoders suck in wav's and spit out mp3 or ogg.

even if you used mp3 on totally random input (static noise, normally hard to compres) the result would be smaller as audio compression formats (except FLAC) are lossy.

Apple iTunes/Quicktime's propriety format AAC is in my opinion the highest fidelty and easily the most natural sounding for the same bitrate of files.Wav is uncompressed, so it will never be the same file size as mp3 for the same file size.Mpg and mp3 are the same thing. Mpeg videos use mp3 sound encoding so I don't understand your point about this.

Also note that the size of the mp3 depends on what bitrate you rip the original file. Normally, when the mp3 is of a song that is around 5 minutes, and it's only around 3 to 5 mb, then it's ripped at a low bitrate. If you listen to the mp3 and then listen to the original CD you can hear a difference. Because of so, I always rip my CDs at the highest possible bitrate, which is 320kbps (I think), and the file usually ends up being around 10 mb instead.This is only applicable if you ripped your music off cds of course.