xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
evion

Browser Based Games Vs. Telnet Are they similar?

Some may think browser-based games are one of those "fast-yet-downloadless" kind of games. You get to play these kinds of games anywhere with a web-browser and internet. It's FAST, it's mostly FREE, and there's no hassle because its fast to load if you're with text-based browser games. Ah, this reminds me of MUDs, commonly known as "text-based" games.

We all know that both of these games are very simple and they do not require extensive production times. They can be easily updated and "patched". Unlike downloaded games which are very problematic because you have to download the add-ons, sometimes they might have SEVERE maintenance times...etc. We all hate these type of games and many of us would always go with a quick game of MUDs while waiting for the downloads to finish of the maintenance to be done.

But thats not the point here. What i'm trying to describe is what's so different with MUDs and browser-based games. Browser-based games might have like, lots of picturs to illustrate but mostly you would read text right? Obviously MUDs are TOTALLY text. I think that MUDs have a little more freedom in playing them and others might be more confining. Both are kind'of similar though don't you think? You'll have the basics on your RPG or strategy playing interface. then you have the extras in which you can have a little fun with. Downloaded games? Not much fun but more dedication and training.

So what's up with these 3 types of games? I mean, which would be more fun? :)

It depends on how much ingame freedom you want... If you wish to lead another life, MUD would be the best as they only contain text, a lot of space is dedicated to the little movements and actions that make life real... Downloaded games are more interactive although freedom is limited... For example, I cannot jump in most downloaded games, or shake my head, not even wave hello or goodbye... The good thing is it has pictures... Thats mostly everything that counts nowadays...

Sometimes, i still really think technology has really grown through the ages. Who would want to waste time gardening or doing any other outdoor activity nowadays if they could play so many games on one computer. Everyone would rather have cool graphics in their games than just text text text. In fact, my first impression of MUDs are boring-text-based-uncool-game-of-the-drain. What are we to do? Most of us are already wearing glasses!

I'm not wearing glasses and I face the computer almost everyday without breaks... Techocian, you are very right that technology has really advanced... By the way, we should just call each other by shortform... It seems a little too formal... Techo? Anyway, given the example of diablo two or warcraft three, everyone would say that those are state of the art games but I predict that in the near future, these games will also become as boring-uncool-game-of-the-drain as MUDs.