xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
svtl

PHP-Nuke Open source professional portal system

"PHP-Nuke is a Free Software project released under the GNU/GPL license and distributed for free. Its development cost a lot of time and money from the developers side, and we wanted to offer this new feature as a fair manner to finance the project's costs. Because I don't think that requesting donations is the best way to manage some incomes for the project, I wanted to have a method to obtain the needed money giving something in return to you."

I'm enjoyed with PHP Nuke. What do you know about this system ?I want to meet people , who like it.

Hello svtl,welcome to Xisto. If you are looking for hosting you should be happy to know that one of the options you have when hosted is to install PHP-nuke. :) it's supplied ready for you to setup.I know that didn't answer your question and I don't know if I like it since I never tried it :)It's an option and there are a lot of supporters here,Nils

I currently use it on my web site, as I am at work too much during the day to really do a bang up website, and when I can it will change.

but, is there anything specific you would like to know about it....

It is simple to administer, and most of the features that you likely to need are right on the administration screen.

I feel that I can't emphasise this enough, as soon as you install it, click the link on the site that says something to the effect of create a global administrator account now. If you don't you will allow anyone that sees that link to control the content of your site.

As for the features it has, some of the many follows:

(At least on my version, which I had to Download. Not sure about the bundlwe that come from Xisto)

Forums

FAQ

Bookmarks

Private Messages

Recommend Us

Search

Sections

Statistics

Stories Archive

Submit News

Surveys

There is another feature called modules. This feature allows you to download chunks of code, and insert new features into your website. Like a Randowm Quote script that I run on mine...

If there is anything that you would like to know that I haven't mentioned, juist post it here....

is phpnuke the best? i like phpnuke because it has lots of cool templates you can use. Also doesnt phpnuke come in other man other languages besides english to so yea. plus it ahs ome cool modules where you can get news from other sites that you like..i think im right here..correct me if im wrong.

is phpnuke the best? i like phpnuke because it has lots of cool templates you can use. Also doesnt phpnuke come in other man other languages besides english to so yea. plus it ahs ome cool modules where you can get news from other sites that you like..i think im right here..correct me if im wrong.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are absolutly correct, you can pull news from other sites.

If you would like to see my site that takes advantage of that, then follow the link below, and you can see it on my website...

My Website

Really, the only thing that I don't like about it is that any site that uses phpNuke looks that same, the content may be different, but they all look the same.

As to what CMS is best, I've only used PHPNuke, so I'm not really sure if it is best or not. It is great for the interim time for my website. It gives it a nice feel, and an easy to use navigation system, so I am pretty happy with it.

I have on my forums a casualty list from operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring freedom, and I also have news from both Operations, so it can be used for just about any content that you can imagine.

I love the module ability of nuke, I am using a couple of different modules on my site , like the Amber Alert Module, and a random quote module.

I am still playing around with the site to try and get the layout the way that I want it, but it looks really great.

You can even load new themes, and change the look of the pages.

Im not a big fan of phpnuke...CpgNuke (now cpgdragonfly) is the best CMS for me. PHPnuke is big slug..especially to those with slow internet connections. Most phpnuke portal approximately loads about 5-10 minutes on dial-up connections so personally it isnt that professional. CPGnuke loads way faster compared to phpnuke. Plus the fact that, slowly, phpnuke is heading to be commercialized-propriety (closed source) cms..

I used PHPnuke with my old host (before they went belly up). I'm trying to get it on my account here, but I need 1 extra MB! 1 MB! I've put a thread asking for an extra MB in, but I haven't had an official response yet.As for PHPnuke, I think its great. I does just want I want, and its never worked slowly for me.

I don't know what version PHP-Nuke wedjarl used or what modules or add on he put on his site but right out of the box PHP-Nuke is quite fast, and I find it acceptable (try looking at it with Firefox) Any system that load a bunch of graphics will slow down, if you put a Picture gallery on there then it has to load all that you could try using the cache for nuke The new version loads slower with the WYSIWYG editor if you use the advanced one but loads almost as quickly as the other versions if you just use the basic WYSIWYG editor. The newest version is 7.7.0.3 and is available right now.

I once had XOOPS but never really was all that happy with it, and deleted it from my server, and like PHP-Nuke because of the phpBB forums, which I write Ported MODs for so that users can use these mods instead of the one that comes standard with PHP-Nuke.

When I first started using Nuke I was upset because you couldn't use these mods and found a web site that had a few of them and then after some study I started writing my own because of the limited availability of Ported MODs for the Nuke, now I search for new MODs to port and have become quite proficient at it, some are impossible or at least not worth the effort (EasyMod is too much of a rewrite so forget Porting it) and there are some that only require a rewrite of the sql to make work.