xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Xevian

Msn Messenger Stuff Very freaky

I had a very bad experience with my friend... She was so bored that she decided to download some software that tells her if i closed her messeges... I didn't get caught though... It was rather my other friend on the phone with me who told me about it... She asked him about the homework of the day, then he closed the window... The very next moment, she asked him "Why did you close my window?" It was really freaky to be watched like that... Can someone tell me how it works?

yeh thats the same thing happened to me. but he actually told me. i dont know what the software is but its a plugin. probably somehwere on the msnplus plugins. its just another thing that affects your privacy, if you want to ignore them for some reason and dont want them to know you closed their window. you cant escape that can you?now i just leave the conversation window open on the toolbar. if i close it, they know your there using the computer.

Can someone tell me how it works?

the MSN messenger protocol tells someone when the other person closes the window.
its just that Microsoft version of the client ignores the message.

All the MSN clients i have ever used inform you when this happens... Kopete, Gaim, aMSN.
its only MS's versino that doesnt.

I assume she used some kind of pluggin, or a 3rd party client.

According to M$DN Online, whenever you close a conversation window, an IMWindowDestroyed event is triggered. What the plugin does is simply catching the event and informing the user. The official M$N Messenger doesn't handle that event.

whats the problem anyways, just closing a window doesnt meanyou have stopped listening. when someone sends a new message, the windows will spawn again.closing the window just clears desktop / taskbar space, which is pretty vital.im used to my GNU/Linux with multi virtual desktop's, so when im in windows with only 1 distpo i get clostrophobic :)Just explain to her that she is too fat, and taking up all your destop, im sure she will understand :)

i forgot to mention that they dont only know that you closed the window! they also know you opened their windows too! they might even know when you are about to chat to them. anyone have the plugion for it? thanks

whats the problem anyways, just closing a window doesnt meanyou have stopped listening. when someone sends a new message, the windows will spawn again.

closing the window just clears desktop / taskbar space, which is pretty vital.

im used to my GNU/Linux with multi virtual desktop's, so when im in windows with only 1 distpo i get clostrophobic :(

Just explain to her that she is too fat, and taking up all your destop, im sure she will understand :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well... In a direct manner or a gentle one? I'm a very soft guy... Don't want to hurt anyone's feelings! :)

well, i think your friend is using GILLY Messenger which uses the trigger stated by my friends above, GILLY messenger is for MSN and have many option like this close window, chat save etc, so search GILLY Messenger from web install it and then check if you get you answer.,,,

best of luck....:)

Do you have this GILLY messenger? It sounds rather wierd... I found another way to delete her window... Its really screwed up her computer though... I changed my status to appear offline, then I blocked her I.P address, then I closed her window, unblocked her and went back online. When her messenger have no idea where the window went, it simply got corrupted and her computer hangs each time she uses the messenger... I feel very guilty... :)

i forgot to mention that they dont only know that you closed the window! they also know you opened their windows too! they might even know when you are about to chat to them. anyone have the plugion for it? thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I have MSN Messenger 6.2 with the mgs plus 3 addon. This tells when someone opens a conversation window with me, when they close it (however I disabled that feature, it's annoying as hell), when they delete me of their list, etc. I don't really like it that much LOL, I only have that plugin for a few handy features like the advertisement removal, the ability to use more emoticons, and the contact list cleanup (it's also handy to have your contacts nicely grouped, if you want to not talk to that particular group, you can block the entire group).

http://www.msgplus.net/

I've used GAIM which I do enjoy, however it crashed pretty often on my puter so I uninstalled it, on Linux I swear by GAIM though (Yahoo may cause issues). I also have Trillian (the newest version FINALLY supports voice and lets you transfer files irregardless of the used client) which I mainly use for AIM and IRC. Yahoo doesn't work that well on Trilly, why I don't know, but it doesn't display my Yahoo contacts as being online (the ones online are shown as not on your list).

http://www.pidgin.im/

http://www.trillian.im/