xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
qwijibow

Wireless Networking In 1990 CPIP, the REAL first wireless network

The very first Wireless network !

FRC 1149 CPIP is the protocol name http://www.blug.linux.no/rfc1149/

CPIP stands for Carrier Pigeon Internet Protocol.

and althought the first useage of CPIP was on april fools day, i assure you that this is no joke !
(maybe origonally intended as a joke.. but it was actually done !!!!)

Here is how CPIP works....
A normal outgoing Ethernet packet is printed out onto a small piece of paper, which isthen attacjed to a homing pigion and sent of the the destination address.

On arival, the message is scanned into the computer, and converted back to an IP datagram packet.

And the crazy thing is,.... it works !!!

They tested it with 2 com[uters on either side of a small mountain in Bergen !

here is the output of the Ping command !!!
(note the HUGE ping times)

vegard@gyversalen:~$ /sbin/ifconfig tun0tun0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol            inet addr:10.0.3.2  P-t-P:10.0.3.1  Mask:255.255.255.255          UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:150  Metric:1          RX packets:1 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0          TX packets:2 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0          collisions:0           RX bytes:88 (88.0 B)  TX bytes:168 (168.0 B)vegard@gyversalen:~$ ping -i 450 10.0.3.1PING 10.0.3.1 (10.0.3.1): 56 data bytes64 bytes from 10.0.3.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=255 time=6165731.1 ms64 bytes from 10.0.3.1: icmp_seq=4 ttl=255 time=3211900.8 ms64 bytes from 10.0.3.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=255 time=5124922.8 ms64 bytes from 10.0.3.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=6388671.9 msâ 10.0.3.1 ping statistics â9 packets transmitted, 4 packets received, 55% packet lossround-trip min/avg/max = 3211900.8/5222806.6/6388671.9 ms
[/code]

Sounds like wireless security was a lot better back then.Also, sounds like there were a few feathers in the system as well.Very interesting post, I would be less concerned with the ping times and more concerned with the 55% packet loss!How'd you hear about this information?happy networking,vujsa

The sequence is a bit off too :)I assume a few pigeons *timed out* / got lost / died.But pigeons have their advantages too !much bigger range than network cable / wirelss LAN.ALSO, pigions dont suffer from Electro-magnetic interfereance.Plus, yea, securety.i was just randomly surfing, i dont remember how i found that link exactly... LOL

Cool... I think its rather outdated though... 55% package loss could be rather bad... Same goes with the internet connection! Mmm... CreatureNet might sound like a good name for people who intend to use this system! :) I think its just abuse of animals though... Whats more is that you have to TRAIN those pigeons before you can let them fly, and especially if the package contains something confidential and the pigeon somehow got off course and the package was intercepted by some other person... That would be something to ponder upon! :)

if you caught one pigeon, you would have only a tiny segment of the data.you would have to catch a lot of pigeons!Also, homing pigeons dont have to be trained i dont think.you simply allow them to live a the destination.then when you take them avay from their home and release them, they find their way home by instinct.I dont know if it counts as cruelty... but keping and using homing pigeons seems no different from keeping a pet, and excersizing it.anyways, i doubt anyone would ever use this in the real world, read the actual RCS standars on the RFC homepage.

Oh man... Pigeon catching... Not my idea of fun! Maybe it could be turned into a sport... like one of the pigoens has the real data that states "YOU WIN" Then everyone goes pigeon hunting! It can be a sport! :)