xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Silent Soul X

Wireless Networking And Switch How To Add To My Network

Hey i was just wondering is it possible, since i have two computer (looking at buying my own, the other two are family owned) and a ps2 all wanting to be connected to the net, i bought a switch. It is a 5 pot switch and i have one port spare. See my adsl modem is connected to the switch and then my two computers and ps2 connect into that becuase they are in the in the same room. Ok now to my question i was just wondering since, i want to have my own computer in my room and able to connect to the internet and network ( i live in a two story house, my room is upstairs so i would need like a 50 metre cable to it), is there anyway that i could like plug a wirless adapter into to the switch and then into my computer upstairs? Or what else could i do if that won't work that would be cost efficient (if too expensive i guess i'll just buy a 50 metre cable, even though it's going to be messy in the house), thanks everybody :)

Well, you'll need a wireless access point and a wireless adapter for the PC.

You can use two wireless adapters but that requires the hardwired PC to be on if you want to be able to go online with the wireless PC.

You wont have to worry about being too far away from the access point in your average sized house.

http://www.linksys.com/gb/
A lot of good information here.

Hope this helps.

vujsa

yep that helps alot i was doing a bit of research and i wasn't sure if i would have to buy a wireless router, thanks for that heaps, it's really helped me a lot :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just to clarify.

You wouldn't need a wireless router just a wireless access point.

the wireless access point is like a wireless switch and is much cheeper than a wireless router.

Of course this may be a good time to upgrade to a multifunction unit.

Switch/Router/Wireless Access Point all in one.

A nice gigabit switch/Router/Wireless G Access Point

Just a thought, :)

vujsa

There are adapters that allow you to plug your network cable into to make that computer wireless, in this case make the PS2 wireless.PS2 ---->Adapter)))))))))) access point-----> Cable Connection)))))) Wireless TransmissionI would simply use your current switch and have all of the nework funnel into it prior to your broadband modem.Good luck.vujsa