xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
illusion

Comparative Review Of Mambo And PHP-Nuke

just want to share my points of view between this two CMS. I made the comparison as how they are use as a portal system.

I like Mambo's poll because it uses cookie but then again, it does not have a comment system.

Mambo does not allow custom admins for each component. The latest version of PHP-Nuke allows this.

Mambo has a WYSWIG editor. PHP-Nuke does not have one.

When making components, you have to add rows for two tables and make use of three or more files. In PHP-Nuke, all you need is one file and it will automatically detect it thus, no need to do a manual add for the tables.

With Mambo, you can do more than customize templates but also add dynamic content, making each templates unique if one choose to. In PHP-Nuke, you have to edit numerous files in order to make a static template with only a single type of layout.

PHP-Nuke is easier to install especially for newbies.

Mambo is free. PHP-Nuke is delayware.

PHP-Nuke has a much large community support.

Mambo has several developers. PHP-Nuke only has one.

PHP-Nuke has several pre-installed modules and blocks.

I think Mambo is much more secure than PHP-Nuke.

In PHP-Nuke, you can customize how the article page and preview looks like.

Mambo has a very stylistic admin panel and template designs!

It is easier to convert Mambo to PHP-Nuke than PHP-Nuke to Mambo.

It is easier to make a form input process in Mambo.

Article comments are not included in Mambo.

Mambo has a clean code and can easily be learnt (for programmers).

wht u think?

-----Copied from http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ without quotes-----szupie

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

hmm its realy simple .. and with astohost........ U can easily creat u'r site with php_nuke .. just try to be active in forum and get thehosting package.. then u can use easily php-nuke... and u can also seach for it on php-nue officialsite

what are these programs for? are these for editing your website in php or something like that. i have seen on websites where at the bottom it says its been helped by php-nuke or something like that. if it is a php editor i might test it out to see if its good enough.

i've been using mambo for a while now. it is really easy and useful. but one thing bother me though; how to create a custom mambo modul? i've been searching on the net about this, but i could never found them. anyone have the resourse? thanks

what are these programs for? are these for editing your website in php or something like that. i have seen on websites where at the bottom it says its been helped by php-nuke or something like that. if it is a php editor i might test it out to see if its good enough.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They're Content Management Systems (look at the title of the forum!). I really want to use PHP-nuke, but I can't install it through Fantastico - I need something stupid like 1MB more space.

Its really annoying because I have to get 30 hosting credits to upgrade my hosting account, so I can install PHP Nuke, which only really needs 1MB ,more space.

Anyway, back to the topic - I think PHP Nuke is really good, even though I have yet to try Mambo(or whatever its called) yet. The only thing is, all PHP nuke sites look the same, themes don't really change that much...

I have tried both of those CMS's and all of the features looked good but soon turned out to be poor.e107 on the other hand is a better CMS. It has built in forums and has a poll that uses cookies and has comment system. e107 also comes with a Private Message system ready to install at the click of a link.:P~ Munchie ~

just want to share my points of view between this two CMS. I made the comparison as how they are use as a portal system.

I like Mambo's poll because it uses cookie but then again, it does not have a comment system.

Mambo does not allow custom admins for each component. The latest version of PHP-Nuke allows this.

Mambo has a WYSWIG editor. PHP-Nuke does not have one.

When making components, you have to add rows for two tables and make use of three or more files. In PHP-Nuke, all you need is one file and it will automatically detect it thus, no need to do a manual add for the tables.

With Mambo, you can do more than customize templates but also add dynamic content, making each templates unique if one choose to. In PHP-Nuke, you have to edit numerous files in order to make a static template with only a single type of layout.

PHP-Nuke is easier to install especially for newbies.

Mambo is free. PHP-Nuke is delayware.

PHP-Nuke has a much large community support.

Mambo has several developers. PHP-Nuke only has one.

PHP-Nuke has several pre-installed modules and blocks.

I think Mambo is much more secure than PHP-Nuke.

In PHP-Nuke, you can customize how the article page and preview looks like.

Mambo has a very stylistic admin panel and template designs!

It is easier to convert Mambo to PHP-Nuke than PHP-Nuke to Mambo.

It is easier to make a form input process in Mambo.

Article comments are not included in Mambo.

Mambo has a clean code and can easily be learnt (for programmers).

wht u think?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nuke 7.6 and above now 7.7.0.3 is out and hasa a WYSIWYG built in

PHP-Nuke is free I have never paid a nickel for it (what in the world is delayware)?

There are other places like Nuke Code, or Nuke Cpos or NukeXtra that offer their own versions of PHP-Nuke and there are many more people at the phpnuke.org besides FB you just don't see too much credit about it.

What do you mean a clean code it is PHP and MySQL with some JavaScript, and XHTML.

Nuke 7.6 and above now 7.7.0.3 is out and hasa a WYSIWYG built in

PHP-Nuke is free I have never paid a nickel for it (what in the world is delayware)?

1064307877[/snapback]

Well, I'd say delayware is some kind of SW which's last version is delayed for release for people not willing to pay for it. ;)

Which one to choose? If you want a simple, light cms => PHPNukeIf you want a complex and powerful => MamboAs as developer, I think we can choose anything. Our work is to updgare them. Both of them support module adding and have a API-interface. They're both easy-to-extend.

I don't thinh PhpNuke more easy to install. Mambo and Joomla have a much more user friendly instalation. Mambo and Joomla are a bit more complex t understand than Php-Nuke, but you can do much more with mambo and joomla.The principal problem of Php-Nuke is the security. Some Hosting Provibers don't permit the instalation of Php-Nuke on theirs servers. I had use Php-Nuke since I discovered mambo and now when the ex-delvelopers of Mambo create joomla I change to him. Joomla is actualy the best CMS. :D