xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
gangsta_zar

The Best Version Of Linux For Somone New?

Since there is no such thing is the best distro, therefore, I'll just suggest. The current ones are test done by me and here's my rating for being good at looking good, operating well, newcomer friendly and doesn't fall apart like Windows.**Note, the following is if you installed it, not running ON CD**KNOPPIX 7.0/10 (it's using DEB, which not every package is packaged in, but there APT-GET though...)SUSE 9.0/10 (lacks in laptop support, sometimes the battery monitor never works)Yoper 8/10 (lacks in auto detection, graphical installation, and support)Fedora 8.5/10 (only from FC3 Samba is easy to configure. Else, in order to use KDE as default you must edit its /etc/sysconfig/desktop file manually)Mandrake 4.0/10 (full of bugs and never able to upgrade any base software until its next release)Gentoo 5.0/10 (hard to compile, not newcomer friendly, but very rewarding and u can learn alot. Plus, it's very customizable)VidaLinux 6.0/10 (based on Gentoo, its easy to install but takes forever. Takes more than 1 hour for the installer to compile up to kernel, I never got passed it because it took too long.)Ark Linux 5.0/10 (Poorly reconfigured, cannot set to other init stages when boot, frustrating)Linspire 6.5/10 (Although its pretty good in performance and user friendly, most free software that you can just download has to be paid by joining their C-N-R program which means spending more than you need to)Slackware 7.0/10 (Although never thoroughly but installation is just like FreeBSD, finding and installing software is hard.)FreeBSD N/A (It never got a rating because it's not Linux, therefore, I'll skip)NetBSD N/A (It never got a rating because it's not Linux, therefore, I'll skip)College Linux 7.0/10 (it's exactly like Slackware)That's all folks, those are my ratings for the Linux distros.cya around.xboxrulz

I would add that Slackware became a Distro of year 2004 at LinuxQuestions, so this is something. Also is keeping in first 10 on DisroWatch for many, many years...

And there is very good and large repository ([Linux Packages] on which you can get all needed software, best way is to upgrade from command line, there is also command line frontend to managing packages, where are listened all istalled .tgz files, there is also Swaret and SlapGet (upgrade / net-install utilites) and graphical frontends (GTK+ and QT) for all those tools (download them separetly, not included in distro, since they are just some eye-candy)... In my opinion managing Slackware packages is easier than any other, and it uses gziped tar files, so creation of packages is also very intuitive...

But at the beginnig maybe you should try Fedora Core 3? (or even beta of 4...) Fedora has second place at Linux Questions... what would I say - there is the poll: 2004 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards, Distribution of the Year

My advice (although not for the faint of heart) is to give yourself a bit of a crash-course. Throw slack on your system and cut your teeth on it. That way, if you're not content with Slack, and choose to move to another distro, you won't be completely lost when you have to play with the command line...and you can't avoid the command line in linux..