xisto Community
harriko

The Bad Side Of .....google things you never heard

i have just came accross this website, and it shows all the truths and theories about google. im shocked that google have never deleted anything at all "since day one".!

this can mean when you delete anything on the gmail server it aint actually deleted. it is still saved on the google server. it also states that google actually atmitted to the savings of all documents!

also theres cookies in your browser, so if you make a search on their search engine it tracks down what you search for and saves it! is the saying and reality tv shows coming true... big brother? then it obviously means no privacy on the internet world as google grows as we speak!

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I don't think there is really anything to worry about at this point. Google is just using this as part of it's targeted advertising and won't be using it to control the world or anything. I am going to read that article, but for now I'm not too worried about Google...Edit:SO I check out the site and I thought those guys were a little crazy. Some of that stuff is true, I'm sure Just because there are people making some good money, or even some corruption, doesn't mean that we shouldn't use Google. There isn't any company that is perfect and Google isn't trying to invade people's privacy, just use some unique methods of effective advertising. If people don't trust Google, I can understand, but I will keep using their services.

whats the problem? your isp can produce a list of every website you've ever been on. I'm not too bothered to be honest if they wanna know what i'm doing then thats fine, i have nothing to hide. Well nearly......

the website is crap..don't read it.and just tell me how google can manage by not deleting a single thing since day 1?? i am talking about email inboxes.. i can understand search engine database.. but hey emails??the website is made by some mad duck who is jealous of google.

the website is crap..

don't read it.

and just tell me how google can manage by not deleting a single thing since day 1?? i am talking about email inboxes.. i can understand search engine database.. but hey emails??

the website is made by some mad duck who is jealous of google.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

or by google :), lol

I think that google has interest stealing information but it's impossible to store all the information since day 1 in a Db, they have a very large cache on their server but if eveyr day in all the world there are 200 milions of search with google in less than 1 years the information would be so much that IMHO there aren't enough hdd space....may be they keep the mail for a while but I don't think they can steal and recycle everything we receive and we send...I hope...

Well, I can understand Google keeping track of searched words/phrazes for statistics. Also Google is a company, people work for Google, so the better they can direct their ads etc the more income they have as company. As far as not deleting? I agree with k22

I think that google has interest stealing information but it's impossible to store all the information since day 1 in a Db, they have a very large cache on their server but if eveyr day in all the world there are 200 milions of search with google in less than 1 years the information would be so much that IMHO there aren't enough hdd space..

And the internet can be monitored, our ISPs can easily say which sites we've visited, how long we've been there etc, perhaps even what we typed there? There's probably a pretty big chance that some agency somewhere can easily read everyone's email, provided that there are enough people to actually do the reading. But who says, there is not a "search" engine that looks for coded messages in emails to help fight terrorism?

I just don't worry about these things, it is not like I, as single person, would be able to stop them. I typed this, not to cause a riot, I am just stating my personal opinion... :)

Google has a privacy policy, terms and conditions etc.. if the owner of http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ thinks Google violated his/her privacy policy, he/she could file a complaint or probably sue Google. Google has been on the net for years, and slowly they gained and established credibilty, respect, and trust of most netizens. And I dont think they would sacrifice or ruin those looong years of establishing their "Google trademark" for reading messages scraped from gmail or web searches.

wait a minite! how do we know what this web page is saying is true?for all we know people put that there because they work for Yahoo! or Hotmailand want to dicredit gmail to get rid of compititoin. People can say all they want, it's the internet! it doesn't have to be true to even be posted.

I really think that the owner of Google Watch is just trying to tarnish a perfectly legitimate company's reputation through a load of false and deliberatly mis-interpretted information.Google is the perfect un-evil company. Even their motto is "Don't Be Evil". I think they are the exact opposite of Microsuck. For example, Google is one of the best search engines in the world. You can search shops with Froogle, search images quickly and reliably, and laugh at thier yearly April Fools. MSN Search is (in my opinion) rubbish. They promote thier "more precise and poerful" engine through hours of annoying TV ads and web banners, whereas Google is all through word-of-mouth. Thier encyclopedia search is a rip-off of Wikipedia. I find thier search slow, painstaking and many times, nore irrelevant than Google. Thier April Fool's joke produced a fake search results page, mildly tailored to your choice. What use is that when practically nobody uses MSN Search anyway?Wasn't there this similar thread which pointed out the massive privacy issues in AOL?

Ah, the cookies controversy and the Gmail fiasco...

Cookies are used by more search engines than you'd expect. Yahoo, Overture, MSN Search, and AllTheWeb also use cookies the last time I checked. If you're very worried about cookies, I recomment using a web browser that will delete all your cookies after each browsing session. For example, Mozilla Firefox or Opera.

As for Gmail not deleting E-mail messages from their servers: you seem to be under the impression that other E-mail services do delete messages. If for nothing other than to identify spam, most E-mail services keep as many E-mails as they can afford. In addition, they stay quiet about the practice, not disclosing it in any privacy policies or terms of service.

Yes, we should take steps to ensure that Google does not control our future. No, I don't believe that time is coming up today. No, probably not tomorrow either.

Frankly, I worry more about a world where nothing functions without drivers that run only on Windows.

i dont believe it. i am sure google (as well as all other sites and companies) have done some shady things. but hink how useful google it, if its not to you well...to bad. i personally love google. its amazing. if you disagree i understand why though, but this is taking it sort of far.