xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kc8yff

Sharing Between Computers... ... that are on the same network.

How do I enable file sharing between my two computers that are on the same network? I am running Windows 2000 Professional on both computers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are the computers networked correctly? Can you ping both computers and get a response, allow both computers through your firewall for this to work.

The type of network you may want is a P2P network.

Basically what you do is right click on the drive/folder to share, go to sharing and then allow share, you can make it read only (can't delete or write files on whatever you share)/full control etc, you can add a password to. If this isn't there, go into your network properties and there should be a checkbox to allow file and print sharing, make sure it's checked then attempt this step again.

There should be already a shared folder which is enabled by default in which you should be able to access going through network neighbourhood, if not, you may need to configure your firewall correctly to allow file sharing.

You can then map shared drives/folders as network drives on the other computer for easier access.

If you need more help, just ask, I would have given you a better step by step but I currently ain't in Windows so I'm going by memory.

Cheers,

MC

This may not be what you want, but if you are connected by LAN, (If my memory serves) you could try right-clicking the folder or item that you wish to share and click on the "put it on network" or something along those lines... My brother thought me so...

I know I have them networked properly because I am accessing the internet! I turned off my firewall and I cannot seem to find the shared folder. I looked in "Computers Near Me" in "My Network Places" and I can only see one computer. There are three computers on my network: my parent's, my brother's, and mine. I can only see mine... not my parent's, not my brother's. I also went into the network properties and made sure that the File/Printer Sharing box was checked.Anything else you guys can tell me?Thanks.

I know I have them networked properly because I am accessing the internet! I turned off my firewall and I cannot seem to find the shared folder. I looked in "Computers Near Me" in "My Network Places" and I can only see one computer. There are three computers on my network: my parent's, my brother's, and mine. I can only see mine... not my parent's, not my brother's. I also went into the network properties and made sure that the File/Printer Sharing box was checked.

Anything else you guys can tell me?

Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm, I have had this problem before and I am not really sure what causes it. First, make sure that all three computers have any firewall software shut off. Windows sharing is easily killed by firewalls, even if you tell the firewall not to(tis a fragile protocol...)

Then, go to a command prompt and type 'ipconfig'

on each computer to make sure they are all on the same subnet. They should be, but sometimes the router does strange things.

That is the other thing, make sure that your router/switch/hub is set to allow them to all see each other.

Finally, it may just not work. Even microsoft doesn't appear to fully know how to get windows shares to work. There are work arounds though.

Haha! I'll check this out, but if I can't get them to share, that's fine.

Is it possible to share files between a Mac machine and a Windows machine?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep very much - get yourself SAMBA for Mac ( https://www.samba.org/ ) and that's it..I setup it up without a hitch in my old school labs.. Or else there are loads of p2p tools for mac and windows - with which you can achieve the same in effect... but nothing like the browsable, writeable folders that SAMBA provides :P

How do I enable file sharing between my two computers that are on the same network? I am running Windows 2000 Professional on both computers.

First check the IP in both computers
run "cmd" then ipconfig / all

-just create a sharing folder ( mouse right button - Share ), and give a name
-in the other computer ..... search ( folder name )
- and thats it :o

I don't know how microsoft did it, but configurting your network in Windows 2000 and Windows XP is FAR easier than in Windows 98. There are more features available to you, but the interface is simpler.Windows XP Note: NetBEUI is no longer installed on your hard drive by default. To proceed with this tutorial, you will need to copy the following files from your XP CD on to your hard drive#1) copy nbf.sys into the %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ directory#2) copy netnbf.inf into the %SYSTEMROOT%\INF\ directoryEverything we do on this page will take place in your network properties, also known as your 'Network and Dialup connections'. This is where we will tell windows how to communicate with your new network. One way to get to your network properties is to go to your desktop, right click on ‘network neighborhood’ and click properties (Network Neighborhood is in your start Menu for Windows XP). You can also reach it from the Start Menu. Select 'Settings' and then 'Network and Dialup Connections'.Right click on the network connection for your local area network. The following three items should be present. Make sure each one is check. This is called 'binding' software to your network card. 1) Client for Microsoft Windows2) File and Printer sharing for Microsoft Windows3) NetBEUIIf you do not have these components, use the ‘install' button to add them.You are finished configuring your network! Now you need to configure your computer name and workgroup.Computer Name and WorkgroupThe 'computer name' is the name that computers on your network will see your computer as. A workgroup 'groups' your computers together and helps them find each other. Right click on the 'my computer' icon on your desktop and click 'properties'. Select the Network Identification tab. This screen shows your current computer name and workgroup. If you need to change it, click the properties button. Make sure you are part of a WORKGROUP and not a domain. Enabling shares on Windows 2000 and XPTo get the network neighborhood (network browser) working, you MUST enable at least one file or printer share on your computers. (see Network Browsing explained )Create a new folder on your hard drive and call it ‘shared’. Right click on this folder and select ‘Sharing’ from the menu that appears. Select “Shared as” and give the share a name or leave it as it is. This share defaults to full control for the user group 'everyone'. This means that anyone that can log into this computer will have access to this share.When trying to access a network drive or printers share on a Windows 2000/XP computer from a Windows 95/98/ME computer, you may receive an IPC$ dialog box like the one above. If you do, then you need to configure security on your Windows 2000/XP computer.When Windows 95/98/ME tries browsing the Windows 2000/XP computer, it first must log in. The username Windows tries is the name that you logged into Microsoft networking with. When your Windows 98/95/ME computer booted up, you saw a screen like this: You must create that name in Windows 2000/XP security to allow that user access to the Windows 2000/XP shares.Creating a Windows 2000From the control panel, double click the admin tools icon. Next, click the Computer management icon. This will bring up a screen like the one below. From here, open the Local Users and Groups tree and add a new user by right clicking on the 'Users folder' and select 'Add new user'. Create a user name that MATCHES the user name used to lon into your Windows 98/98/ME computer. I would sugges assigning a password to this ID. I have sometimes had trouble in the past using blank passwords. You should also UNCHECK the 'User must change password' line and CHECK 'password never expires'. This ID will default into the USERS group. This should be enough security to access files and print shares.Now, the next time you see that IPC$ / Enter network password thing, you can use the password speficied in the user profile you just created!

make sure1. all computers are allowed complete access to each other. (check your firewall settings)2. you have run the newtowrk wizard and all computers are on the same workgroup.3. Lol make sure all the cable are plugged in correctly.And thats about it, i would suggest you restart all your computers after running the wizard