xisto Community
rapco

Un-caping how to????

I've herad something about un-capping... they tell me is an "easy" way of making my cable internet service faster!!!!i have a 3com cable modem model: 3CR29220Can anyone tell me how to un-cap my modem????is it legal????

Un-capping will make your internet as fast as your service has. This means many mb down and up. Un-capping is definetly illegal to do also, and if you get caught, there's a hefty fine that you have to pay for it. If you want a faster internet connection, call your ISP and upgrade or switch to a different ISP. You pay for what you get.

You're right, after i posted my message, i went out i did some research.. found out it's ilegal.. and it damages the isp service by robing them.. so i have desisted to my idea.I would like to ask a moderator to close this topic. Al tough it may become a good discusion of why ISP services in contryes like mine (Colombia) are so expensive!!!!!for ex: my 256 kbps cable service costs 45 usd a month!!!! that's a rip of.. considering the kind of money we earn here.... for ex: a construction man recevies 150 usd for a month's work!!!!!! he'll never pay a isp service like mine... I think (in a twisted way) taht un-capping may help getting back to those robbing ·$·%"·%$ that pretend to make richer while making us more poor than we already are!!!!

In my opinion, paying more than $20 usd a month is outrageous. Plus, unless you do a lot of online gaming, I don't think you really need broadband. Buy a 512 meg, or bigger, flash drive and download stuff from a public library. And if you want gaming, flash drives come at least as big as 2 gb (that's the biggest I've seen) so you can install a game to them. My only internet is @ school, the library, and my highly unreliable, slower than 33.6k, tmobile sidekick 2. That's all u need. PeaceAaronBtw, most broadband internet here is aroud 50 usd without a discount/sale/whatever

Ok, so... now you know all about prices...let's talk moral and ethics...In my case, (been robbed by my ISP) would you consider my rigth to get a bigger bandwith!!!!?by this i mean... uncapping wouldn't be taht bad, would it????what do u think about this?

Good god you people are very unfortuanate :P:o lol...In canada or atleats in ontario where I live internet acces is quite cheap and really nice :P My dad pays around 40$ a month for a connection of 1.5mps which equals to about 250kb/s of downloading or abotu 150 on average, plus our service is upgrading all our accounts for free to 3mps and upgrading the account class one up form us from 3mps to 4.5 or something like that and we have unlimited bandwitdh...And I know you guys are thinkign like unlimited bandwitdh=impossible right? well I dunno how my service does it but they are good :PI use sympatico...A company that just merged with msn if you haven't noticed on msn website...And I think thats why we are aloud to upgrade :P cuz msn's giving us even more speed :P....Unfortuantly I think sympatico is for canadian resisdents only...If anybody else on this forum has sympatico say something about it...Cuz they are a good service :P...Also cogeco is good but its a lil more expensive and you have to have cable to have it...And I can't get cable where I live. But one added bonus for people who don't mind breaking the law is that once you buy cogeco internet getting free cable is very easy....Cogeco should really find a way to stop that....Meh I think I'm done talking about my connection though... But I do gotta add this one last detail about it :P :Sympatico=static ip...Which means everytime you connect to the internet you have a different ip address which makes being banned from servers or websites a lot harder to impossible :POh well I'm donel8r...Canada rules!

Good god you people are very unfortuanate :P:o lol...In canada or atleats in ontario where I live internet acces is quite cheap and really nice :P My dad pays around 40$ a month for a connection of 1.5mps which equals to about 250kb/s of downloading or abotu 150 on average, plus our service is upgrading all our accounts for free to 3mps and upgrading the account class one up form us from 3mps to 4.5 or something like that and we have unlimited bandwitdh...And I know you guys are thinkign like unlimited bandwitdh=impossible right? well I dunno how my service does it but they are good :P

I use sympatico...A company that just merged with msn if you haven't noticed on msn website...And I think thats why we are aloud to upgrade :P cuz msn's giving us even more speed :P....

Unfortuantly I think sympatico is for canadian resisdents only...If anybody else on this forum has sympatico say something about it...Cuz they are a good service :P...Also cogeco is good but its a lil more expensive and you have to have cable to have it...And I can't get cable where I live.  But one added bonus for people who don't mind breaking the law is that once you buy cogeco internet getting free cable is very easy....Cogeco should really find a way to stop that....

Meh I think I'm done talking about my connection though... But I do gotta add this one last detail about it :P :

Sympatico=static ip...Which means everytime you connect to the internet you have a different ip address which makes being banned from servers or websites a lot harder to impossible :P

Oh well I'm done

l8r...Canada rules!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I always thought having a static IP meant you always have the same IP address every time you connect? Oh well, shows how much I know :o

Anyway, here in Australia it's quite cheap compared to what some of you other guys are getting too. At the moment we're on a 1.5Mb connection and paying approx. $50 AU a month. So that's somewhere around $25-30 US. The only draw back is we have a monthly download limit of 20 GB. But we never use it all anyway so it's not really much of a problem for us. Upload has no limit either, which I guess doesn't really matter, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

The old connection I used to have was cable, and that was unlimited download speeds. Well not really unlimited, because it all depended on how many other people were using the network and the such.... but on occassions I got download speeds of up to 1 MB/sec... it was rare, but it did happen. Download speeds of 600 kbps were very common, but oddly enough, upload speeds on this connection were always very slow, only hitting around 15 kbps. But this connection cost me $62 AU a month... which I guess would be somewhere around $35-40 US. Very good price for the service, but it had a 12 GB monthly limit.

hey!I feel happy for all of u sattisfied foreign isp customers!, but making fun of our low-tech condition isn't funny... Ok, first of all, i'm 21 years old.. i want to know how old r u... why?, quite simple.. i don't think u know the problems that expensive technologies generate... people here can't use internet as much as they want or need, so tehy don't have resorces... taht's pretty bad for educating isues.. don't u think?and, the topic is about UNCAPPING!!!!please talk about this ('cause i'm also jelous!!! :P jeje)

rapco, "static internet address" means static... it stays the same :P

dynamic IP address changes everytime you go online and both are fairly easy to block :P

For residential dynamic IP ranges you just block the whole CIDR range that belong to that ISP. It's a measure that punishes both the offender and all other users of that IP range. So most of the time webmasters and mIrc operators ban the range, send a complaint to the ISP with date and time from the logfile and you may have your service terminated if you are in violation of the TOS :P

Some users have the MAC address showing (or the MAC address of their cable/dsl modem..

Here is a test if you want to see how fast your connection are. It's a free / paid service if you need more than 3 tests a month.

http://www.bandwidthplace.com/

My speed with 22 other users sharing the bandwidth to day was:

######################################################

344.7 kilobits per second

Communications 344.7 kilobits per second

Storage 42.1 kilobytes per second

1MB file download 24.3 seconds

Subjective rating Not bad

######################################################

Nils

NilsC, i didn't post the message about IP, it was spacewaste....Just wanted to clear that out....And, please, do some posting abput uncapping... please!

Rapco Back to topic, Uncapping.There is a group method, and working i might add, that is used in my country.- Not saying where I live for obvious reasons.What is done is a group of 30 odd people all with adsl, club their ISP accounts together, the ISP checks the account cap every 24 hours and the cap is reset every month, so all the users login to the same ISP account for 24 hours then change to the next account the following day until all 30 accounts are cappedand consequently reset for next run