xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Dyth

Rip Microsoft?

"The health of established firms, especially great ones, is more difficult to diagnose. The balance sheet can give some clues, but, because it captures the recent past rather than the near future, it can fool you. Most veteran reporters look at more subtle clues, like the comings and goings of key employees, slippage in the release dates of new products (or missing features), and subtle shifts in the tone of company news releases, advertisements and executive speeches.

But most of all, at least for me, there is the smell test: the faintest whiff of decay that comes from dying companies."

Here is the original article.

Ms thrives of a lack of choise. your computer comes with windows pre-installed.and even if you format your disk and install a different OS, you have already booted the computer once to test it, and click "i agree" destroying any chance of a refund.my first computer didnt use Windows, but i paid for it, it was bundled.now i build my own computer from parts, much cheaper, no bundles software.imagine a shop that sells PC's, and asks its customers if they want Ms Windows or a free alternative like BSD or Linux.imagine the customer is a computer newbie, and has not heard the buzzword Microsoft.and remember, linux has been pre-installed, so you dont need to worry about compatability.the customer asks the difference between Linux and Windows...Windows will cost you more, Linux is free.Windows has bundled software like office and nero, which will cost even more, linux bundles software like Openoffice and k3b which is Free.Windows will need its hard drive defragmenting every month.Linux requires no maintenance.Windows will need a virus scanner, you need to update it every week, and run a scan of your hard disk.There is no threat of virii in linux.windows requires a high speed internet connection for its automatic update's.windows will need to be completely re-installed every 6moths to a year to keep it running smoothly..linux requires no maintenance.support for games is better in windows.... but you probably have a playstation :Pi wonder what all the guys who want a computer for the internet and email and writing up letters would choose.

I'd say, for an absolute newbie - if options were presented in the way you did, all those free OS/software/utils would sound FAR more lucrative than the incremental payup you gotta do on a windows system for anything you wish to add on... i.e. as you said, if one hasn't heard of the MS buzzword... but with all the new linux distros coming up one after the other and with their all new x-based graphical installers, the gap is bridging down REALLY FAST... I know of quite a few vendors here in thailand who've started shipping out with some versions of SuSe & Mandrake. Promising, i must say... :P

Yes if you were to take linux and put it in a manufacturers Pc comapny, say Pc World, Currys, Dixons (In the UK) and then gave the choice im sure many people would switch, the thing I hate most about microsoft is the Authenticity CD Keys, they annoy me far too much but given the coice the majority would choose linux.

I don't knwo much about Linux but am I wrong in thinking that the reason Linux doesn't get viruses is because of the fact noone has bothered to make one because the majority of people us Windows, or is it the way Linux runs that makes it invuneralbe to viruses?

I don't knwo much about Linux but am I wrong in thinking that the reason Linux doesn't get viruses is because of the fact noone has bothered to make one because the majority of people us Windows, or is it the way Linux runs that makes it invuneralbe to viruses?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The lack of viruses for linux depends on the fact that linux (and all *nix systems) have been designed keeping user access rights in a networked environment, in view, right from scratch.. Thus, in effect, when a user logs in onto a linux system - he's alloted this virtual space and his home directory - which is completely isolated from other users and the core of the OS. So whatever this user wants to mess around - he's free to do - but he's completely jailed to his virtual space and home directory.. Most of the users/groups with lesser priveleges than the administrative user, are jailed to their shell and home this way - so even if you uploaded and executed a virulent code in you home directory - at most it can destroy YOUR OWN files in your home - but it will, by default, never get the right kind of permissions to act on other user's files/folders - destroying the OS files is a distant though :P

Plus.. its not done by default... but you can mount your home directory with the option "noexec" which means nothing on your home directory is allowed to run / execute.an email spreaded virus couldn even run.

Microsoft is not going anywhere anytime soon but its hold on the market is decreasing. Mainly in the internet sector which google has large and growing control but also in with apple who slowly getting back with its new mac mini.

Think of all the hype Microsoft is going to build with it's new windows version codnamed: Windows Longhorn They took xp, gave it a makeover, added a few option, made it 64-bit, and WOAH, a new windows. wow that was fast. next, they give it a total new makeover, and more optiosn of complete uselessness, and tada, a newer windows. see my point.

30 richest men, in the world has more than 70% of the total population of the world. Justin Square, it doesnot take a LITTLE CHANGE to make from 32-bit to get a 64-bit operating system. Its just like Makin entirely a new..Anyways, to the topic. your comment is justified.

Linux has had 64bit support for a long while already. One reason linux doesn't have any viruses isn't because they are more difficult to write but because linux isn't as widely used. Yes there is added security with linux ins that permissions play a big role into who can run what. With SELinux things are going to be even more problematic for people who try and write viruses or worms for linux. It is superior to windows in every way but support for major games written in directx.