xisto Community
harriko

Whats Your Best Spyware Remover?

I didnt know where to post this so i posted in this section. so, i have spyremover. but it seems to be getting outdated and i wanted to know what other ones are out there, freeware or paid programs. anyone have any good spyware removers? thanks!

i also like the lavasoft adaware program. it is a great program that picks up adawre or spyware that some other programs cant. It also has a feature on it where you can update it. it is also free as well

Ad-Aware SE is my favourite program because of its extreme ease of use and seamless intergration into the Windows environment. The first time I ran it on my computer, it picked up over 700 spyware files! Now I run it every week and the speed of my computer has increased tenfold. And, its free!

Yeah... I'd definately go with Adaware.. I've been using it once a week for the last 3 years and its kept my computer reasonably free of spyware and malware.. Adaware is free adn you can download it here

Another tool I use once every now and then is Hackthis... it will give you a list of all your registry entries, show you which ones you're using most, etc.. you'll be able to view every reg. entry to check for any malacious items.. if you're not sure of any entry.. just copy the reg details and search for it on google.. there are a bunch of forums that will provide you info on any type of entry.. any that you don't need.. you can simply select and Hackthis will remove it.. The issue with Hackthis is that I've forgotten where I got it from since I've had it for a while now.. possibly over a p2p network.. anyhow it works right out of a folder and does not install into your system.. so if you want to look into it.. I'll zip it and put it up somewhere for you to be able to access it..

Another handy app. I've been using for a while is BHODemon.. it installs and will audit all BHOs (Browser helper Objects) which may be automatically be added to your Browser.. or locate items that may try and hijack your browser while you install 3rd party apps. Through a GUI it will let you select which objects you wish to keep or delete.. it will also show you which BHOs it considers dangerous... the only BHO i allow is the Google Desktop search... you can get this app here

Hope this helped.. R.A.

Ad-Aware SE is my favourite program because of its extreme ease of use and seamless intergration into the Windows environment. The first time I ran it on my computer, it picked up over 700 spyware files! Now I run it every week and the speed of my computer has increased tenfold. And, its free!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Even I use the same thing.. It is really powerful scanner. I downloaded it from Download.com. It had the most number of positive reviews and ratings.

and

Welcome to Xisto kaputnik!

If you really want to deal with spyware, get Spybot, Adaware, and the new Microsoft Anti-Spyware. Then use all three. You can set the microsoft one to scan every night, and use the other two sporadically. The reason to use all three is that they all catch spyware the others don't. This way, you get the most stuff off of your system. All three of them are free, so there is no reason not do go ahead and get the best possible overall solution.

cool! i just downloaded ad-aware and san it on my system and it found 70 spywares!!! i just formatted it about a week ago. thats about 10 spywares each day! the scanner is really fast too compared to my old one. it just took about 10 minutes rather than 1 hour. whats this about the "spybot" is it good aswell?

cool! i just downloaded ad-aware and san it on my system and it found 70 spywares!!! i just formatted it about a week ago. thats about 10 spywares each day! the scanner is really fast too compared to my old one. it just took about 10 minutes rather than 1 hour. whats this about the "spybot" is it good aswell?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, it is almost as good as ad-aware, but it gets some that adaware doesn't

The same can be said of microsoft anti-spyware.

I actually use two: Ad-Aware SE Personal and Spyware Doctor. Both work very well. It takes just a few minutes for these to check the whole system. I run them both every day and my system runs perfectly.

I recomend a "compilation" of scanners and protection 1 AddWare2 Armor2Net3 SpyRemover4 Norton Personal Firewall 2004I'm going 2 try the new s**t from microsoft .... but... most of the Microsoft soft have security holes in them so i'm a bit reticent. :P

believe it or not.. i don't use any spyware remover.. i am not lying.. i never had the need to use it.. my comp works fine since the first time i brought it.... never downloaded any freebies like toolbars or password managers or p2p softwares or visited any spyware site... so my comp is safe...i had adaware once but it was useless... nothing came from the scan.