xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
polarysekt

C++ Win32 Encapsulation

Okay, this should be my last question of the day, but...I once found a decent little skeleton prog that included simple MFC-like classes to organise the dirty work behind windows...I would work on my own but -> I'm lazy & I know it's been done...And now that I search I am unable to come up with anything...I use DevC++ because a.) it's free, and b.) it looks "cute"and also, I do not want to base any program on the MFC if at all possible...If anyone knows of a good source for something of this nature... you know what to do...BTW - i think i saw the original in a bundle with a book on like DirectX or somehting (which I don't use as I've switched my graphics ops to OpenGL for Linux portability..)Well, thanks if you can help, but also... does anyone know about GLUT and GLEE? I haven't gotten into them myself, but I've seen an example win32 program with an entry point at Main() -> NOT WinMain() ...I thought that was very nifty, but I'm a little confused about how that all works... Any ideas, thoughts, comments, or links?Oh, and also... I'm definately not looking to use .dll's for class objects... I want to find source I can manipulate...That is, unless it's about GLUT or GLEE or whichever one was the slick one that allowed for multi-platform development....BTW - KDE / GNOME (that reads: preference over the other one that exists)

I know about the MFC but from actually having products of MS, although if you want portability there are a number of options, of which will work with Dev-Cpp since I too use that as an IDE when writing programs on Windows with portability in mind.The only place I remember that had a model skeleton of the MFC classes at work was winprog.org/com/something.Currently I'm using the fox-toolkit but the developer makes too many frequent updates, that he should provide patches instead of the full-blown download again since a lot of the errors are just missing lines out of the header files, etc. I wrote a Notepad clone for Linux to test fox-toolkit out and it was exceptional, except the bloated, 120% the size of Notepad but it's something you have to live with if you want your source to be portable across different platforms.I know Dev-Cpp has a package for it, but I think it's outdated. There's also wxWidgets (formerly known as wxWindows), which might be more to your liking as it's not hard for MFC programmers to grasp it's concept as it's pretty similar to MFC.I suggest you try wxWidgets, or you could look into fox-toolkit, which does require a bit more and you definitely need to read the documentation, over and over until it sinks in.Cheers,MC

So you want a portable library for a GUI ?use GTK-2 or QT (QT announced windows suport a few weeks abo, dont know it its ready yet)Most GNOME based linux applications use GTK (KDE programs use the QT library)By staying away from MFC, and using the GTK wrapper for programming the graphical user interface, your code should be very very portable.