xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
xtron

Accidental Delete of files in FTP Account HELP

I have accidentaly deleted some of the original files found on my accound server :P( i know i'm dum !! it was the first time that i used SMART ftp :P but now ... where can i get the files from ??

I have accidentaly deleted some of the original files found on my accound server :P( i know i'm dum !! it was the first time that i used SMART ftp :P  but now ... where can i get the files from ??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If those files are what you found on the server right after your first login, DO NOT WORRY!! They are immaterial and wouldn't hamper with your hosting account in any way. Just go ahead and upload you page, but make sure that the public_html directory still exists, coz that's where you have to place all your website files.

All the best..

SO cpannel won't be affected ??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nopes, not at all - your cPanel files reside elsewhere on the server. Normally when you login you you are placed in a directory containing your public_html folder along with several others. Here's my directory listing - I probably have a lot more files than a fresh account as I've tried out a lot of options from cPanel which would have created the "." prefixed configuration files as you can see in here.

.addon-installlog

.addonscgi-phpBB

.autorespond

.autorespond-loopprotect

.bash_history

.contactemail

.cpanel-ducache

.fantasticodata

.htpasswds

.lastlogin

.mysql_history

.neomail

.spamassassin

.spamassassinenabl

.spamkey

.sqmaildata

.trash

etc

mail

public_ftp

public_html

tmp

www -> public_html

If you didn't delete any of these files (or even if you did) judging from the files present in here - I don't think your cPanel will be affected anyhow.

Why don't you simply log into your cPanel and find out !! Nothing like doing it hands on - then you know for sure :P

All the best

I thought there were some files that are required for things like frontpage extension and stuff? Are those all in the public_html directory? If you deleted the public_html dirctory, xtron, I think some problems might occur...

I thought there were some files that are required for things like frontpage extension and stuff? Are those all in the public_html directory? If you deleted the public_html dirctory, xtron, I think some problems might occur...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The frontpage extension files are the ones that look like _private and _vti* - they all placed by default into your public_html directory and can be removed safely if you aren't going to use any of the frontpage extensions.. I think even your public_html directory can be removed - only that your files won't show up as a site anymore... the symboliclink that public_html has to www will become dysfunctional. I'm not sure though if you recreate the directory - whether the link becomes active on its own...

Ok, CooL Down! Dont worry.. Reupload the files and check out everything.. IF things are still not working, Ask for RESETTING your account (which is a very big headache for ME! ). It will cost you 20 Credits. Sorry for the credits thing, I got to impose this rules else ther are many people who will abuse this service.

If u are refering to my SMF upload problem ...i have uploaded all the files 6 thimes and nothing ... error 404I don't have enough crds ...:P can i PM u when i have them?) 2 reset my acc ?? Is the 404 problem with SMF caused by this accident ?P.S. sorry 4 being a big pain in the a*s (from the begining) but i'm new to this.... Good job i really like cpanel it's ust great GOOD JOB :P

Is it a binary file or is a Ascii file.You may have tell your ftp application to upload the right file type.Or else you may have check if the file name is correct or not.Remember to check if you have accidentally add a spacing or a unwanted full-stop* somewhere in your file name.

Is it a binary file or is a Ascii file.

You may have tell your ftp application to upload the right file type.

Or else you may have check if the file name is correct or not.

Remember to check if you have accidentally add a spacing or a unwanted full-stop* somewhere in your file name.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can u elaborate ??

I use CuteFTP what must i do ??

I uploaded a bmp in my main server dir and i can't acces it even if it has 777 CHMOD ??

WHAT IS WRONG ????????!!!!!!!!!

Due to 500kb atatch limits i cannot upload the big img and/or all the scrshots taken tthat proove the existence of the files on the server..This is a serious problem and i really need people's help.So is this problem from what i deleted, a server error, a FTP error, browser, pc error or am i just dum??Thx !!

I didn't add to my previous post. This way those of you who helped can see what was done.

xtron and I worked this out using PM's. What happened was the path to where the files reside on the server. Looking at the .gif uploaded it looked like the files where in a subdirectory called www/smf <sp> (I don't have the image in front of me so this is from memory)

I started going through all the options where the file could be logically and I ended up with http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ as the correct path to the setup files. So looking at the info we had when we started out I think we did a great job finding the files.

One more thing you need to do are create an index file and place it here http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ that way your welcome page will not show up when users go to your site. I'm not sure if you need to setup a "forward to your forum" or you can use that as your welcome page and have a button for users to access the board. Then it will be somewhat like the Xisto community where most people see your index.html once and then they create a shortcut directly to your forum.

All this is a different issue and I'm closing this tread and if you need help with something else setting up your forum, start a new tread in the appropriate forum.

Good luck.

Nils

***TOPIC CLOSED ***