xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG

Dos Memory Dumper - Are There Any? So save unsavable games ??

HI, Do you guys know of any sort of memory dump tool that will allow you to save old dos games without the game save option ? Later on you just reload it back and start the game from the point where you left off... are there any such tools ? Thanks ;)

That's an interesting idea. You would probably need more than just a memory dump to accomplish that though unfortunately. If you could get your hands on something to do a memory dump (and you should be able to without too much trouble) you still have the problem of getting the game to right place. If all varaibles and executable code is actually registered into memory completely I would be surprised. Many times with old dos games there could be a temporary file for storing some of the information and if the game itself is more than one file chances are that certain parts are loaded as needed rather than all at the same time for performance optimization (especially since computer had A LOT less memory ha ha ha ). Anyways, I believe what you are trying to do will only work in ideal circumstances. Good luck though none-the-less. If you find something that works I would be interested to hear about it. Please keep us up to date.Just as a possibility - many compilers allowed the ability to shell run a program and monitor the physical memory during this so you could probably use one to do a dump to disk then you will still need to reload it into memory though. Turbo C++ would be one compiler to look at - might be easily located too