xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG

Local Website Archive Archive your offline browsing content

Hi guys,
I've using this really handy freeware that makes all other Offline Browsers go for a toss. Admitted, Offline Browsers are real good for storing content offline - but very soon your pages and directories become an uncontrollable mess if not organized properly from day 1. Besides they still reside as individual pages and folders creating a messy folder containing thousands of files.. here's an alternate to that:
Local Website Archive
---------------------------

Local Website Archive offers a fast and easy way to store websites from your browser permanently for future reference.
Information on the web often vanishes quickly, sometimes before you even have a chance to make use of it. Let Local Website Archive store the information you're interested in. Seize the information!

Features:

* Archive websites or other online documents for future reference
    * Save websites for offline reading
    * Full Internet Explorer integration
    * Works also with all other webbrowsers and online tools (newsreader, email clients, etc.)
    * Powerful search features. Save your time and use the local archive instead searching important information many times in the web

Local Website Archive has full Internet Explorer integration. For all other applications simply add the Add button to your quick launch bar and archive documents from other configured tools.

I download thousands of tutorials from the net everyday and I'd always have problems organizing them properly. As mentioned above - I'd have a jumble of folders - and very soon lost track of all my pages. Now that I've been using the Local Website Archiver for quite a while - everything's so neatly categorized - and packed into just ONE Archive file which I can carry along anywhere. In short the huge knowledge base of websites that I've built up can be transported/read easily even off a flash drive. Capturing pages that you are viewing in your browser is as simple as pressing F9 (or any hotkey that you specify - and the page is immediately captured and added to your archive, in the user selected category). Integrates with FIREFOX too. Besides, you can even do a google like search on your stored content from the Archiver Software... The Lite Version is the freeware one.

Go get it today at: http://www.aignes.com

And let me know if you guys found it as convenient as me in return posts ;)
Regards

or get a local cacheing proxy, their are loads on sourceforge, and the portage tree.although unlesss you have a largeish network (more than a couple of computers) there is not much use.

or get a local cacheing proxy, their are loads on sourceforge, and the portage tree.

although unlesss you have a largeish network (more than a couple of computers) there is not much use.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lol.. yeah... that should do the trick to.. but if you want to saveup all your downloaded pages for future refeence - i.e. have them all combined together as one big file that acts as a searchable archive - then you gotta give this thing a try. Life was never so easy prior to my Local Website Archive days....

See it for urself & it's freeware ;)

one thing i dont understand....how does the Archive know if the pages it holds are out of date ?for example if i visit and bookmark an ebay site and put a bid on somthing, if i go back to the page an hour later, wont i just get an out of date cached page ???

one thing i dont understand....

how does the Archive know if the pages it holds are out of date ?

for example if i visit and bookmark an ebay site and put a bid on somthing, if i go back to the page an hour later, wont i just get an out of date cached page ???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Naah it wont really work for dynamic pages like that - it more oriented for nicely organizing offline content which are more on the lines of research material, tutorials etc, although I was reading somewhere that they're going to come up with another version of it which will autoupdate using RSS feed. Don't know about auction sites though - the present version can only take snapshots of the page that's currently loaded into your browser.

you can view offline files without any programs. all you have to do is add the website or pages to your offline viewing and hey presto! you can viewing it offline. it it needs updating all you can to do is syncronise the damn thing!

you can view offline files without any programs. all you have to do is add the website or pages to your offline viewing and hey presto! you can viewing it offline. it it needs updating all you can to do is syncronise the damn thing!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What happens in event of a system crash ? Unless you backup all your offline content into some other folder - all's gone !!! Besides the offline content is stored in the exact same inconvenient way as I was describing aboe - as individual files and folders - which become increasingly difficult to manage as you store more and more.. don't you think having it all inside one zipped archive - that browsable and searchable as if you were on the net - doesn't that sound better and easier to backup ??

What do you think ?

P.S. If you guys still don't get my point, try this article :

http://forums.xisto.com/topic/81688-topic/?findpost=&

wedjarl there has provided a great example of what I've been trying to put through.. scroll towards the bottom to the last 2-3 posts and you'll see ;)