xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Silent Soul X

Expanding Middle need help again :(

Hey, i know many people will be thinking off expandable content but my questions is different. Ok here it is i have my website Dreams in Digital and you can see that i want to make my middle area expand if the sidebars is longer so something like this:
Project Angel

see how the sidebars go down further then the main content box, so the main content box expands to make it level for the footer, i was wondering how do i do that. I know my question is really hard to understand if you don't get me first time but, i was trying to think of an easy way to put it but i couldn't can someone please help me ;)

I don't think the main content area expands. I think it is always the same length as the side, so if there aren't many things in the main area, there would be a lot of space left.

Hey, i know many people will be thinking off expandable content but my questions is different. Ok here it is i have my website Dreams in Digital and you can see that i want to make my middle area expand if the sidebars is longer so something like this:

Project Angel

see how the sidebars go down further then the main content box, so the main content box expands to make it level for the footer, i was wondering how do i do that. I know my question is really hard to understand if you don't get me first time but, i was trying to think of an easy way to put it but i couldn't can someone please help me  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The center doesnt expand. It's the same length as the sidebars. You can leave a lot of empty space for the center column by making it span out all the rows that consist of the side tables by using the "rowspan=x" directive for the "<tr>" table row tag, where x is the number of rows you want this particular row to span downwards. You can use the same with columns using the "colspan=x" option for "<td>" tag.

Hope this helps.

I'm trying something similar, 3-column with header and footer. No tables, all is in CSS and CSS formatting.

The center expands as I add content, the sidebar follows the layout and the footer is attached to the bottom of the content.

Here is links to the 2 examples. The first link is the Original Test - short page
and the:
Expanded page - text below screen surface

The purpose for the short page is that I'm trying to have the footer glued to the bottom of the screen unless the data goes past the bottom of the screen then it should be attached to the bottom of the page. ;)

I'll get that working..

Nils

Thanks microscopic^earthling that was exactly what i was looking for something like that so even when my sidebars are longer then my content. My content will expand to that size so it will always look neat. Also thanks everybody else and sorry about my punctuation in my first post. It was 12pm where i was ;). Also NilsC good luck with you site ;)

Sorry for renewing this old post, but have you found a solution to the problem with divs yet, NilsC? I tried doing what you have on your example, but my content doesn't expand when the left menu is longer than it. And I'm not sure whether the expanding divs work on all browsers.