xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
amkint

Uncertain About Uncertainity?! god save u hisienberg

okay maybe i am a web designer and a computer engineering student..but hey... i am a student of engineering physics.i was readin through the chapter on uncertainity principle in my physics book.ok... they say you can't make an observation without making any changes to the particle... even if u use a photon!ok.. but i had a thought.. check this out.. the deadly ray used for observation _____________> O <--- electronin this case, well obviously the electron undergoes cromton effect and the momentum changes... u got the position.. the momentum has changed!but i was thinkin.. suppose u shoot 2 photons from opposite directions... will they make any change to the electron?

nope... it would change its momentum... lemme explaini wanna know the position of a tennis ball (assume that i am blindfolded)..i throw another tennis ball to it and see when it gets reflected back so i can infer the position..but the 1st tennis ball will move and no longer remain in the same place!the problem is worse with electrons.. they have very light 9.1*10^31 kg mass so even the lightest particle (a photon) would disturb it.ummm... an electron is an elementry particle..it can't be compressed:-)

but i was thinkin.. suppose u shoot 2 photons from opposite directions... will they make any change to the electron?

I thought you didn't know if it would change it. I think it would, so I gave some changes that would take place. When the 2 photons are shot at the electron, wouldn't the electron get held in between the 2 and vibrate less for a short amount of time?

I may not understand this either, but here's my guess.I suppose that this would not have any effect on the electron; however, I can't imagine how this would be feasibly possible. In order for absolutely NO change to be imposed on the electron, the two photons would have to hit at EXACTLY the same moment; even if they strike apart by 1E-10000 seconds, a change would still be imposed.Considering the accuracy that humans are capable of achieving in labs, I would say that Heisenberg's Principle will always be true. But, in theory, I think this could work (as far as I know; I'm no expert).

On the other hand if you consider the photons as particles according to wave-particle duality, wouldn't the photons give up their quanta of energy to the electron causing it to:a. Gain a massive velocity since it's mass it so minisculeb. Take up a completely different trajectory,since the photons probably would rebound from the impact letting the electron escape besides not being able to strike at the exact same instant as "lasto i glemyr" said...