xisto Community
tattoopunk

Convert Now! Why you should give up on MP3s

Why give up the wonderful invention that is digital music? How about you are ruining music, you are not getting every thing when you listen to an MP3, you luse sounds that make a pressed vinal so amazing. Plus, know that hardcore group you love, you can't understand them too well can you? Try playing the same track on a vinyl, you can understand them. Everything that was ment to be there is there. And the overall sound is just super silky.Plus vinyl is waht made cover art amazing, not the cassett not the cd, vinyl. The size is perfect for gorgous designs. A few of my favorites are Alice Cooper's Schools out, looks like an old school desk, opens like one and even las legs that you can fold out of the bottom. Dead Kennedys Bedtime for Democracy, amazing art and it folds open to display like a poster. Same for Heart's Dog & Butterfly. But the best of all is Styx's Paradise thearter, not only is the packaging amazing, but the vinyl is amazing, there is actually an image etched into the vinyl (doesn't effect sound quality at all) as well as the band logo etched. Can your MP3 do that? Didn't think so.So string me up by my thumbs if you like, but not even a good cd recording, let alone a compressed digital media format, can hold a candle, or should I say flashlight, to the quality you get on vinyl.

Here's a scan of the Styx album, not great quality, had to really mess around so you could see the etching. It's really low quality so it would upload, sorry, i might post it on my site when I get a good photo.

Here's a scan of the Styx album, not great quality, had to really mess around so you could see the etching.  It's really low quality so it would upload, sorry, i might post it on my site when I get a good photo.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Um,You know you can have much cooler pics on the cover of a CD right?

If you don't like the way CDs sound, then work on spreading things like DVD audio or similar tech that has better quality. Digital is here to stay, because analog is a pain to create/maintain/etc. In any case, RECORDINGS these days are mastered on computer, so if they then printed that to Vinyl, it would sound the same.

Realistically, sound is heavily limited by the fact that most people have crappy speakers. Heh, they think Bose and Sony make good speakers, when those are just the upper end of crap. If everyone was running around with speakers from paradigm or similar, then maybe things would be different.

Right, but the fact is that this is something quite unique and it is atually on the vinal, not on a sheet of paper or done in ink on a cd. Once again, I am not a fan of digital media except film.

CDs are designed perfectly so they are comfortable to hold and big enough so they can't be stolen from shops. Vinyl is hard to steal from shops, but they are a tiny bit too big to fit in your bag and a tiny bit too big to buy a portable player for ;)

No, it is not really the same thing. The fact is that it is impressive because of the age ant the fact that the prosess is very uniqe.

Exactly, it is one thing to own an reproduction piece of art, but it is something special to own an origional piece of history.

Exactly, it is one thing to own an reproduction piece of art, but it is something special to own an origional piece of history.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whereas I do agree that vinyl records have some intrinsic value, I wouldn't go so far as to say that you're destroying music by listening to an mp3. Some people enjoy knowing that they're listening to a piece of history, and some people really couldn't care less. And yeah, speakers are a huge problem when it comes to sound quality.

I'd love to own a few vinyl records of my own, but apparently my parents are more practical than that, and I don't happen to have a phonograph. ;;>_> So that's why I don't have any. I do know a lot of people that do own records, though, and apparently they enjoy them immensely.

Just got Dead kennedys - Fresh Fruit for rotting Vegetables (their best album) on vinyl and it is amazing, as a pluss it is an actual Alternative Tenticles pressing, not some corporate press. I also got an origional pressing of Jannis Jopplins album Pearl, she is the greatest female singer of all times, and the sound is crystal clear on the vinyl. Got to love great albums. Anyone else own vinyl?

I hear you, tattoopunk.There used to be an age when music was good and original; that is, back in the 60s and 70s. Back then, bands used to generate quality, original music that is a lost art today.Today, when an original band appears, there are about 15 other bands waiting to copy their style. Not only that, but today, any band can make and sell music, regardless of how talented they are.Back in the golden era of music, albums were developed with clear themes and original, creative cover art that supported those themes. Today, CDs are just a compilation of random songs with random cover art (this is why I like Trans-Siberian Orchestra; their music tells a story and the cover art is relevant). It's just not the same anymore.As for sound quality, I could go either way. CDs are clearer, but there's something about the archaic sound of vinyls that is appealing as well.

Love the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, and I will admit, I finally broke down and bought an mp3 player, nothing much just a RCA that holds 8 hours of musig, about 240 meg. The quatity is on par with cd's not much difference, maby if I had good headphones I could tell the difference, i's just nice to have for when I'm out skating through Boston, because a cd player tends to skip or die too fast. I still will only play vinyl on my home sterio, but MP3's are nice for on the go, so I guess both have their own place in my life.As a side note, my collection is up to 63 vinyls and my goal is 150 by the end of summer and over 600 by graduation in 2008!