xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
harriko

Unknown Files In Www

in the www folder on my server there are many folders which are "_private" & "_vti*". what are these folders for? isit for microsoft frontpage uploads & isit possible to delete them without harming the server? thanks!

You should back up all your folders using ftp before you start changing or deleting any of them. ;)When you upload your files to public_html the file is migrated to the www folder. So look in the public_html folder and you will see the same files there. If you put index.html in the public_html folder, look in the www folder and you will see it migrated there. ;)Nils

I think public_html is where you're supposed to put your files that can be viewed by others. And I'm not really sure, but I think the www folder is just a short-cut to public_html

isit possible to make another folder in the root folder. i want to make one for another site for mobile phones which has its own folder. and also make a subdomain to it. isit possible? thanks

ok! thanks people! having a proper server has more control on the website your doing. the other free ones they got advertising and stuff like that in the space you have. not much freedom! is there any free domain names that has dns, like http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ i noticed that it doesnt cloak the url and things like that. uni.cc doesnt work at the moment, but is there any other alternative for free dns domains? thanks again!

You have close to the same control as if you had your own server. That is why you don't have only a www folder that you have to put your whole wesite inside.

You can addon scrips, setup forums, add a store. You have close to unlimited options. Setup your main website in the root folder to have as short a path as possible, then create a subfolder for development and put your pictures and buttons in a separate folder, that way everything will be organized and easy to change around. Put the include files in a include folder etc. etc.

No advertizing is put on your site because you contribute posts here and that is how you pay for your space ;)

As for free domain names, I have no idea. how to get one. I have paid for all mine so I own them and have full control. I don't think I would use a free service unless I had full control over the domain name. ;)

Look in your cPanel to see how to setup your MX record and email server. It's a lot of nice features.

Keep an eye on bandwidth when you start out so you don't lock yourself out by using up all your resources. :P

Nils

in the www folder on my server there are many folders which are "_private" & "_vti*". what are these folders for? isit for microsoft frontpage uploads & isit possible to delete them without harming the server? thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Quite right - they are all for/created by FrontPage. I've removed these file:

1. "_private" folder

2. All the Files and Folders that start with "_vti"

3. The postinfo.html and .htaccess from the public_html dir - basically all the files that were present when you logged in first - and it works just fine. My public_html now contains just the index.php and the subfolders for images and scripts.

As for your free domain name you can try http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ - though am not sure if you can change their nameservers to that of Xisto. Otherwise the whole idea of the domain linking to your site at Xisto will fail (unless dot tk also has a domain forwarding feature).