xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
banjosforpeace

Help! Trying To Create Web Hosting Account Yes, I was approved. PLEASE HELP

I got my approval e-mail and have 16.65 hosting credits. The info said I need 10 credits for Package 1. I went to create a on the Web Hosting Account Activation page, filled in all the info then clicked Submit. I know the bottom of the page says "it may take a few minutes for your request to process" but it has been over 20 minutes and the page has not changed. Did I do something wrong?Subdomain: racheleddy.astahost.comPleeeease help! Thanks!! :)

banjosforpeace,

I'm not sure what happened there. I know OpaQue will be back online later 8-10 hours from now. He'll take a look at it then.

The hosting setup and the way uou get the account is changed from when I got my account so I can't help you there.

Anyone who just got hosting can you let us know how it was and if you have any tips or tricks to hand out.

Did you try again or are you stuck on the same page? Did you fill out all the required fields (Yes, I know... it's a stupid question - I have had a few of them-), was there any kind of error or timeout message?

Nils

Thanks for the replies.

Nils, I did fill out all the fields and got no errors or timeouts. I didn't try to submit a second time because it says to submit only once... I didn't want to screw it up by clicking again. I still have the page up becuase I'm afraid to close it in case that messes something up. Yikes.

I'm getting really confused about number of posts vs. hosting points. On the forum page it clearly says I need 10 points to apply for a hosting account. As of this morning I had 16.65 points and have posted since then so it should be more now. I see in other places in the forum it says I need 10 posts. So which is it?

I really appreciate the points system because I put a lot of thought and time into my posts because I don't want to be a useless spammer. Looking back at my posts, I could have split 3 of them into 6 or 7 posts, but I'm no cheater.

This is so new that I'm not sure how it works. This was the link posted by OpaQue http://forums.xisto.com/topic/81564-topic/?findpost=1064286089

It used to be a minimum of 10 good quality posts, the problem may be with the quality of your posts... :)

They Your posts are so good you get more that 1 point per post. I think the minimum of 10 posts still go for the ability to create the initial account.

The next step is when you have 50 posts at that time with your posting credits in good standing you can ask for the upgrade.

This is my understanding of the hosting issue you have

Posting credis go toward the days you can take off from posting at the board, if you have 16 hosting credits you can stay away for 16 days (vacation etc).

You get 80% of one hosting credit for one liners.. :) and if you have quality posts like you do :P you will receive one or more points per post.

At 10 good posts with your posting credits in good standing you can create the account.

At 50 posts with your posting credits in good standing you can apply for the regular hosting.

I hope this answered your questions and I'f I'm wrong I'll let you know.

If I were you I'd post some more and get the post count up to 10 and try again.

Nils

At 10 good posts with your posting credits in good standing you can create the account.

At 50 posts with your posting credits in good standing you can apply for the regular hosting.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nils, If the way you explained it above is correct, then that makes perfect sense! I recommend to the Admin to change the wording of the new account creation rules to read almost exactly the way you've put it. How it reads now, I interpreted it as only needing 10 hosting points, not 10 posts. I would not have wasted my time or anyone else's if it was as simple as above.

However, this is how it appears:

HOSTING CREDITS : 16.65

Welcome to Xisto, If you want to apply for our Premium Free Web Hosting Account, you will require atleast,

Package 1 : 10 Credits

Package 2 : 50 Credits

Nowhere on that page does it say there is a minimum number of posts required, only hosting points.

Nils, you've been a big help. I just need to know for certain what to do because I have a site that needs to get back up and running ASAP. Our old host went missing 5 days ago and all the servers are gone. I will do whatever it takes.

Can anyone confirm?

OpaQue is offline now. I think its around 4 or 5 AM his time. mastercomputer should sign on in a little while. He's another admin that should be able to answer your question.

Continue your quality posts in a forum that add to the post count and you should be ok by tomorrow. :)

I'm sorry I can't help you with this.

It may be an error in the mod that was applied, if that is the case it will be fixed in the morning (OpaQue time)

Nils

look at this link
I added this to my post.

Edited by NilsC (see edit history)

Your hosting token is still valid and hasent expired. You should be able to give it another try.Dont Worry, When the load is too much, the server does not give much priority to this process. The ports used for creating the accounts do not have much BW and priority to them. Most of it is assigned to Port 80 ( http) and mail ports. I hope you know the reason ( Faster performance ).:)

Nils, you're inching close to being my hero.

OpaQue syas I'm still cool to setup my hosting account, but I tried again and nothing happened! :P

To any Admin who knows: What exactly is supposed to happen after I click Submit on the Free Web Hosting Account Activation page? A popup box comes up to confim that I am creating a new account and I enter "Yes" as requested. Then I click OK and nothing happens. I left this same page open for two hours today waiting for something to happen. Is there a confirmation page that is suppsed to load? Should it take me to a cpanel login page?

I'm not complaining, just reaching a frustrated point of desperation. :)

By the way, it seems that I should have at least 6 posts that count towards my points but it still says I only have 4. Just wondering when this is going to update.

When you click submit, The script that I ve made does some of the following.1> It checks your posts.2> Then it checks your hosting credits.3> There is a lengthy procedure for validating the name. 4> It determines if you are using a .com domain or an Xisto.com sub-domain.5> It validates your username which can be a max of 8 characters.6> If all the above it succesful, It verfies your forum username and password and checks for permissions.7> If you have the permission to create account, it will reset the permission.8> Reset your hosting credits.9> Generate the information which it needs to create your hosting acccount.10> Contacts the server and checks if the username is in use or not.11> If the username is valid, then it forwards the entire information to server and waits for it to process at the server.12> The creation is the most lengthy procedure and takes a hell lot of time. Sometimes even more than 15 minutes.13> If your account is setup successfully, the returned information is validated and Once it is confirmed that everything is fine, You are given the details of your new hosting account.14> The Apache server is also re-started so that your account is active instantly.If in-between all the above procedures, you get pissed and HIT the stop button, you screw up the entire procedure and it calls for a call back. then it again gives you back your credits and the token. If something is really wrong in your case, Please PM me your forum username, password and the Required domain/sub-domain you want. I will do it for you.

Banjosforpeace, I see 7 posts that I think should be counted. You should PM OpaQue and He'll get your account setup and fix your post counter.Don't give up, you are one step away from the greatest free hosting around. :)Nils