xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
pixelsmack

Ipod Linux

now i am aware that the OSS community is very much into crazy things, however this does take the proverbial bacon. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/, would any iPod owners be prepared to install this on there iPod's. I don't have one myself although i have it on good authority from a friend it works although is in an early stage.

The potential for user development comes out greatley with this project with potential features such as roaming file swapping txt-to-voice etc. i do wonder what Apple will think since they do have quite a closed legal policy i think. Its certainly an interesting project.

i cant remember the link.... (google ?) used to be on /.someone managed to install netBSD on a GameBoy advance !there is no real reason to use linux apart from the *nerd* factor,turn up at your local LUG, turn on your ipod, show the tux boot logo, and be the center of attention of the nerds for a few minutes :)

i cant remember the link.... (google ?) used to be on /.

someone managed to install netBSD on a GameBoy advance !

there is no real reason to use linux apart from the *nerd* factor,

turn up at your local LUG, turn on your ipod, show the tux boot logo, and be the center of attention of the nerds for a few minutes :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The 4gen ipod was finally cracked. People used some code that made the ipod make peizo accoustic beeps (they found this by accident). Using this, they made the code read the firmware and emit different beeps for 1s and 0s. Then, they recorded the beeps and wrote software to reincode that to actual binary. Now that they have the firmware, they can learn how to talk to the ipod internals.

I would love to have a go at this but I don't think I'm brave enough to risk f***ing up my my iPod at this present time. Has anyone on this forums used this iPod Linux thing and successfully? Does it run well and is it backwards compatable with everything currently on the iPod?

I would love to have a go at this but I don't think I'm brave enough to risk f***ing up my my iPod at this present time. Has anyone on this forums used this iPod Linux thing and successfully? Does it run well and is it backwards compatable with everything currently on the iPod?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i know a friend of mine has been running it problem free for a few weeks, i think hes even ported GNU chess to it, however i can't say as i have seen this or know of how reversable the process is.

this is so cool, didnt even think it could be done, I wonder what the outcome will actually do success wise, this will be interesting, so you've actually seen it work? Not just the screenshots, I dont wanna try a dummy.