xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
evion

A Brief Guide To Muds ...and why they are NOT boring

OK lets skip the Direct X and move back to 3rd world entertainment - MUDs.

=== Introduction ===
The definition of a MUD is Multi-user dungeon. Most people would call it a "text game". By far it is known as one of the most boring games on the net. ome people who try it out - like me ( :P ) Know the REAL facts. Now I'm going to tell you whats REAL and whats not.

===Why play MUDs?===
Haha! Let's go straight to the point. Can you "kick" an npc and make him hurt in graphic games? Can you wear tattoos or dress yourself up your own way, your own style? What about battling? In most games, there is only one "method" to kill. In MUDs, you get to "jab, punch, kick, hammer, smash, crush..etc...". You also get more skills and things to do as the producers don't have to go to the trouble in generating the graphics.

=== Controls ===
OK I told you what it was like now what are you thinking? "It's just a bunch of letters, and besides, how am i supposed to even MOVE in this game...?" OK firstly, all MUDs maneuver by the words: (N)orth, (S)outh, (E)ast, (W)est. So if you want to move towards the north, you type "n" and you will be transfered to another map to the north. Simple right? What about talking? To talk you would type "say <message>" or just a (') quotation will do and then your message. To send private messages are usually different. In many MUDs, you would have to type "tell <username><message>". Sometimes, you would get a post office in towns for you to send mail. All the rest of the controls you would learn soon enough when you play the MUD itself. :)

=== What next? ===
Well I would suggest you go with an easy-going MUD first. In my opinion, Ancient Anguish would be a good start. They do not have a newbie tutorial but they DO have a newbie guide online which you can read. Ancient Anguish is a quite "Straight forward" MUD. It has all the features of a normal MUD and newbie-friendly too.
After AA, and you think you could do better, move on to Achaea. Achaea is a more "dedicated" MUD. You have to take tests and pass them in order to be a full guild member or class. I personally like their races too. I chose atavian on my first character in Achaea. Atavians are flying beasts which look like humans but have wings. I had SOO much fun flying on them over seas and rivers and mountains. Especially if some "Jesters"(Another class who dedicates their lives to playing pranks) started "accidentally" dropping banana peels on the floor and you slip. That will make them laugh their heels off. Flying equals you won't get seen and won't drown in deep waters. (But there IS a chance of falling when there are high winds... :) ).

=== Played it, tried it, HATE IT!! ===
Well if thats the truth, then don't think you're not normal. You're just not one who likes to read much... :P .

=== Thanks for being a patient reader ===
P.S It will be best if you do not use the telnet client or the Java client. I suggest using gosclient. It's a GREAT client and has all the tools i will ever need to play MUDs.

Hope you enjoyed my guide to influence more people to play MUDs. I hope ya'll enjoy it. ( a.k.a at least, if your fingers don't get tired of all that typing!)

Amazing, it brings me back to the good old days of table top rpg's. Mainly last week. Thanks man, this makes me really happy!

Thanks for the great comments all!!
For tattoopunk's question, I suggest clicking on "MUD", then add new MUD. Go to the AA webpage, they should tell you all the details there....and for those who want the info NOW here it is:

Host: ancient.anguish.org
Port: 2222
Others are optional and you can leave them blank.

Anybody have any questions with AA feel free to e-mail me at techocian@gmail.com
I'm new to Achaea so if you all have any questions about it i suggest talking to "Romeo or Juliet" in the game and he will solve your questions.

Oh, just another question. Do you all want another guide for a specific class in AA? Name the class and I'll be glad to put it altogether in a guide.

Tattoopunk, You should really try Achea if you role-play a lot... That MUD requires TOTAL ROLE PLAYING and condemns real life talk as OOC and brand you as a insane person! Its actually really good! Oh and what kind of table-top role playing games do you play? I play the palledium series by RIFT! :)