xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
enterthematrix

Windows Xp Or Mac Os X

Which OS do you prefer and why?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

lol.... GNU/Linux is a recursive acronym for "GNU IS NOT UNIX"

Linux is a completely seprerate OS to UNIX... however, it does conform to all the Unix standards, which is why it seems to be identicle... usually, and unix or linux source code can simply be re-compiled, and run on the other platform.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So, its called not unix, but is so close that it is almost identical, even in file structure, to such an extent that source is so compatible? Hmm, if it looks like unix, works like unix, and runs tho same software as unix.....

As for GNU, that is what stands for GNU IS NOT UNIX, as opposed to 'GNU/linux' which is richard stallman's weird politic way of refering to the linux OS.

I understand GNU was created that way partially as a joke, and partially to make sure nobody got sued.

Linux was an entirely different project, and was INDEED an attempt to make a unix-like OS.

I have worked with MACs and PCs for more than ten years now and can say from experience that the MAC OS has been more stable than the PC OS.Bill’s company used to develop software for MACs before he got the DOS development contract. It was the MAC desktop environment architecture that gave him the idea for windows. No one can tell me otherwise! The MAC OS for most of its life has been backward compatible with old systems; unlike in the PC world if you upgraded your OS you had to upgrade hardware.SCSI, USB and FIREWIRE have been a part of the MAC world before PCs saw any of these technologies. MACs have been expensive and third party development has been hindered. But you will find that most complicated software like video studios, music, and labor-intensive programs lean towards MACs.I am comfortable in both worlds and love to work with both; it’s hard to choose.

It was the MAC desktop environment architecture that gave him the idea for windows. No one can tell me otherwise!

here i am telling you otherwise...

Everyone says that Windows STOLE the Mac's Graphical inerface, but nobody seems to understand what they are saying, they are just repeating what they have heard, much like parrots do.

Microsoft and Apple worked together developing the windowed desktop, then before it was finished, the 2 company's split, and decided that each could take the work they did together, and copmplete it seperatly.

Next thing you know.... Mac is B1tching that MS stole its desktop... why....
before they split up, it was not documented in the project anywhere that windows could overlap...

it was documented that there were these things called windows, and they contained applications that could be dragged around the screen. its common snece that they would overlap! but Mac claimed it was there idea.

There are too many stupid patents around...
Microsoft has somehow managed to patent the sudo command... which is not yet available in windows, but has been used in Linux and Unix since the dawn of time...

ITS CALLED PRIOR ART.. i swaer the patent offce is full of monkeys !

here i am telling you otherwise...

Please have a look at this site and there are many more that will state this fact.

"Microsoft officials conceded, under oath, that most of the Windows operating system had been copied from the Mac operating system."

http://macvspc.info/

Have fun

Additional info

Graphical User Interface (GUI)
The GUI had its roots in the 1950s but was not developed until the 1970s when a group at the Xerox Palo Alto Research Center (PARC) developed the Alto, a GUI-based computer. The Alto was the size of a large desk, and Xerox believed it unmarketable. Jobs took a tour of PARC in 1979, and saw the future of personal computing in the Alto. Although much of the Interface of both the Lisa and the Mac was based (at least intellectually) heavily on the work done at PARC, and many of the engineers there later left to join Apple, much of the Mac OS was written before Job's visit to PARC. When Jobs accused Bill Gates of Microsoft of stealing the GUI from Apple and using it in Windows 1.0.
The fact that both Apple and Microsoft had gotten the idea of the GUI from Xerox put a major dent in Apple's lawsuit against Microsoft over the GUI several years later. Although much of The Mac OS is original, it was similar enough to the old Alto GUI to make a "look and feel" suit against Microsoft dubious.
Taken from âapple-history.comâ

On November 10, 1983, at the Plaza Hotel in New York City, Microsoft Corporation formally announced Microsoft Windows, a next-generation operating system that would provide a graphical user interface (GUI) and multitasking environment for IBM computers. Microsoft promised that the new program would be on the shelf by April 1984. It might have been released under the original name of Interface Manager if Microsoft's marketing whiz, Rowland Hanson, had not convinced Microsoft founder Bill Gates that Windows was the better name.

Taken from âAbout.comâ website.

Windows stole the look and feel of Apple....Apple stole the docker from NextSTEP.I believe that Apple would have eventually come up with a docker system even if they never saw NextSTEP, i also believe MS would have come to the same conclusion about putting seperate programs in seperate overlapping boxes on the screen called windows, even if they never saw apples desktop.Who was it who had the idea of putting water in the freezer to make ice to put in drinks to cool them down ?if he didnt show his friends his idea, his friends would have worked it out for themselves.Apple lost the law suit, its over, and nolonger relevant.

their seems to be a new windows vs linux of windows vs mac threads every week, a suggestion would be to merge all the windows vs mac onmes together ect. and sticky that post and make that the one thread for such disscussion. No matter how many of these I see, my aswer remains the same, Windows is best, but really certin os's can be compared because they have diffrent uses, so it depends on wwhat you are using your computer for.

this was surgested here http://forums.xisto.com/topic/81583-topic/?findpost=1064286215
and as a result, we now have a windows, Linux and MacOSX subsection in Howto's and Tutorials->OS for the more technical stuff... i think that means this place is leaft for thje OS wars... or atleast less technical stuff.

We may add "Windows, Linux, MAC forums here in the OS forum for the more pointed issues. That way we can leave the tutorial forum for tutorials only.

Nils

Is this broken down enough?

Windows

Linux

MAC

Others

Windows is fine if you use the right tools. Really. I run XP and I have no problems. It helps as I can be very lazy at times (but I donwanna edit the config files I just wanna point and click!)GNU/Linux or BSD is better in the long term, though. But Macs sure are pretty.

I personally think windows 98 is the best operating system FOR ME.I'm not smart enough to handle linux efficiently without much more practice, and I hate windows xp, me, and 2000. Windows 95 is too old.Mac is certainly better than the newer version of windows, and probably better than windows 98, but it isn't compatible with the stuff that I like to do/play. Neither is Linux, but with linux you have a whole oppertunity of absolutely free stuff with open source to make it ever more fun.Linux is probably the best overall,Then mac.Windows isn't very good, considering:1. Most viruses are for it.2. It's very buggy3. It's just plain slow and inefficient.BUT1. Most things are made for it.2. Most people use it3. It's easy to use.

Windows isn't very good, considering:

1. Most viruses are for it.

2. It's very buggy

3. It's just plain slow and inefficient.

BUT

1. Most things are made for it.

2. Most people use it

3. It's easy to use.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1. Yes, but that's the problem of being the most used os :P Windows is not to blame

2. Not true, xp isn't that bugy, I have used various linux distributions (and i still use debian) and i guess they all have many updates and patches... There's nothing wrong with that, all programs are written by people, and people make mistakes. Ms programmers don't make many mistakes, their error tollerance is very low... Still, the problem for microsoft is (and for many software companies), that they use pieces of all their previous windows versions again. And they copy the bugs too ;)

3. If people with as much knowledge as most linux users tried to tweak xp, they would see that if you know what you're doing, you can make windows much more stable by disabeling some services for example...

"BUT"

1. True, but there are for most programs alternatives for linux and mac that do their jobs as good as the windows program. Only games (games for mac? uhhh ;)) and some very specific programs are kinda windows only...

2. It's not really an argument since cross platform file specifications and things like that make that you can use all your windows file on linux and vice versa... You can talk on msn with several linux clients or your ms word docs can be read by most if not all office packages...

3. I thought macOS was the most userfriendly? Never noticed it though, but i've never been a hardcore mac user so i wouldn't know...

I'm a long time Mac junky. I'm on an older G4 tower right now that's running Panther. I've never had any problems with it. It does what I need it do and with minimal complications and that's why I'm happy with it. I don't like computers enough to spend too much time trying to fix things or learn a new OS.

Windows stole the look and feel of Apple....

Apple stole the docker from NextSTEP.

I believe that Apple would have eventually come up with a docker system even if they never saw NextSTEP, i also believe MS would have come to the same conclusion about putting seperate programs in seperate overlapping boxes on the screen called windows, even if they never saw apples desktop.

Who was it who had the idea of putting water in the freezer to make ice to put in drinks to cool them down ?

if he didnt show his friends his idea, his friends would have worked it out for themselves.

Apple lost the law suit, its over, and nolonger relevant.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, Steve Jobs was the person who founded NeXT. When he was put in charge of apple, they knew they needed a new OS, so he looked at BeOS and NeXT. BeOS asked too much so Apple BOUGHT NeXT. So, apple didn't steal it. They ARE NeXT now.

I voted for Windows as well.

The main reason I don't like Macs is that there aren't that many people who know how to use them and can help you if you have problems.

For example, my aunt has a pretty old Mac.  She is always asking me to help her with her computer, but I don't really know how to use a Mac OS.

So, personally, I prefer Windows.  It provides a good OS, and if you need it, help is very easy to find.

Apart from that, Mac has a very nice-looking and functional OS, just so long as you know how to use it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mac's tend to have fewer problems with crashing etc. Also there newer OS is amazing, it is the best thing I have ever used, next to linux of corse. It is an amazing system that works great. And yes OS9 was terrible, but that is no reason to hate macs.