xisto Community
MajesticTreeFrog

Who Is Considering Switching?

it needs that cause all the viruses are written for it cause most people are smart enough to just use windows, as for disk defreagmenter, thats happens no mater what os you have.  over time the hard drive becomes fragmented, they cause no problems for me though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, the hard drive degredation is a result of the filesystem used, in windows case either fat32(ancient) or NTFS. There are other filesystems do not have this problem. Just FYI.

actually thats not possible without it auto defraging itsef cause overtime you may delete files that are right in the middle and that space then isn't used, i guess an os could defragment when you delete a file but aside from that it would be a problem.

Lol....

as for disk defreagmenter, thats happens no mater what os you have.

Nope.. Only windows !

no need to defragment Ext3 / Reiserfs / XFS / JFS / loads more....

Windows is the only Operating system i know of which uses suck a broken file system.

actually thats not possible without it auto defraging itsef cause overtime you may delete files that are right in the middle and that space then isn't used, i guess an os could defragment when you delete a file but aside from that it would be a problem.

Denial ?

defragmentation doesnt need to be done on deleteing....
do you understand how filesystems work ?

linux does not defragment on the fly... it just doesnt fragment un-neccecerily.

it needs that cause all the viruses are written for it cause most people are smart enough to just use windows,

smart enough to pay for buggy, broken software ?

So..... if windows is so great, WHY can the university of califonia develop a Unix OS called OpenBSD, and check its code tooo well, then there's not been a remote securety hole in over 8 years, then give it away for free...

but Microsoft, the richest company, with far more poeple working on it than BSD, have such a broken OS ?

answer that one.

who wirtes virused for openBSD, who worries about findong hole in openBSD (that do exist they just haven't been discovered) no body, people are only interested in doing this on the most widley used os, windows, why is it the most widley used, because most peoplee know how good it is, and arenn't misguided.

who worries about findong hole in openBSD

the BSD team.

the BSD operating systems are DE FACTO web servers... (you know, the internet thing)
why hack a few home computers with broadm#band / dialup, that are powered on for an hour a day when you could hack the infrastructure of the internet.. BSD machines with T1 connections, that are powered on 24/7 rebooted once every half decade for an upgrade.

you obviousely know nothing about computers.

it's tempting to switch with macs being affordable and stable especially since i work with graphics, *but* most of the applications i use excluding my graphics applications are all windows apps. switching is just too inconvenient for now.

I have always liked Macs. Even though we don't have many here and mostly have windows machines I've always wanted another Mac. Why? Cause they have always been the better looking comp with better features, except for gaming. Same thing goes for linux. Once I get another good computer for cheap, I am installing linux on it. It's all just a matter of money.

The best time to switch between OS's is day1.the first time you sit at a computer, look at all the possabilites, pick which is best for you..unforunatly, by the time people even learn there is an altenative, they have become dependant on the pre-installed Windows.apart from som commercial games, linux will do everythings windows can do..but in some circumstances, like professional video editing, it means you have to re-learn how to use the applications.luckily i had only been using windows for about 2 yars when i discoverd linux.. ive now been a linux user for 3 years. i occasionally use windows, but only when m dads computer breaks down, and do run mantenance.... defrag, virus scan, registry cleaning. that sort of thing.

windows is the os for me. ;) i use it all the time and its great being the most widley used os so its perfect for me to write my software for. unless of course i can use linux to write windows software which i doubt is the case, I don't have any problems with windows, the only problems really arise when you don't run an anti virus a firewall, ect. Linux is good though as a router/firewall when you run some program on it i hear though.

The Mac is certainly catching up at the moment, its getting cheaper and better all the time.I may sometime consider it as it is looking very good and promising, But for me its the Windows, easy to use and cheap.Although, I'm not really looking for a new computer as my family are low on cash and my old Windows 98 is good enough for us and we don't have to do many hard things, if we do I just go to school and do it there.

HiIf I could would I really like to switch to Linux, but in all my computering life had I only have expirience with M$ OS, and some singular time with Mac OS. That is the biggest problem for me, as I know that M$ is crashing all the time and Dr. Watson is the most known employee at M$, but that have what ever that I like it or not been used to.Linux seems more stabile and more skalable than windows, but it is just so complicated. So if some could learn me how to do or advice me an easy Linux OS would I take it into my good night prayer..:-)See youCheers!Jens

why does everyone always say windows is cheap, when its clearly the most expensive desktop OS available.average windows machine... WindowsXP + MS Office + Nero. how much is that ???MacOSX is much cheaper..and BSD Solaris and Linux are Free and Open.Anways, securety and price aside.. its a matter of taste.im used to gentoo (possably the fastest OS available)so when im using windows, i just get angrey at how sluggish and slow to react it is.but i suppose if your used to it, it isnt a problem.to each his own ;)

why does everyone always say windows is cheap, when its clearly the most expensive desktop OS available.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Indeed, I wish people would begin to factor in the costs of BASIC software, along with the costs of useability and security. Especially reviewers at big sites who will whine about this in one article and then pretend that it doesn't exist in the next.

/end rant.

I don't like the whole mac concept... I don't see why i should switch... Just because they're cheap(er)? I'm a debian user for a long time and I don't need a company that decides which hard- and software i use... I use windows too, since i am "a gamer". But the day that debian (or whine) can run all my games or the day that I am not interested anymore in games, it will be over for windows... ;)

I've wanted to switch to Mac OS for a while now. I finally convinced my mom to let me, but I can't get it until at least June. I am so sick of windows. Like every virus and spyware and everything..all written for Windows. Especially IE users. I use MSN Explorer, but same thing. The only reason I haven't gotten a new browser is because it's much easier to get to my verizon and MSN stuff from the one I've got. But the second I can prove to my mom that I deserve a new computer, this things out the window. I still can't get rid of some of my spyware. Even my anti-spyware doesn't work properly! It keeps trying to scan my computer out of nowhere and won't let me stop it. I got so sick of it I shut the thing down, and now my computer's not protected properly anyway. :P