xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
meself88

Bebop Anybody?

Has anybody here ever heard of bebop before? It's apparently the step in between swing and jazz. The only bebop I've ever heard before was in the anime series "Cowboy Bebop," and some of it sounded pretty cool, although i'm not sure it was true bebop because some of it was definitely jazz. It seems to be based very heavily on mood and rhythm. According to some information I dug up, the drums are used mostly just for cymbals, not much bass drum, and the beat is actually kept by the bass. You can't sing to it really because the melody is too complex, so it is instrumental. If anybody has any experience with it, has there been any real modern bebop? Or is the genre extinct?

Yea, i like to listen to it actually, i play the saxophone so i have played some bebop. My faveourite bepop/swing player is Charlie Parker