xisto Community
JimBeam1405241475

AMD Or P4 ?

Which CPU do you prefer?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i am so a AMD fan because AMD was founded by employees who thought pentium wasnt doing al that they could to make a better processor so they started amd to show them what was up and that is just what they are doind making the first 64 bit windows compatible processor wow is amzing lol amd works betetr for video gaming to creates a better run time

I only have AMD duron but I can multi-task(open simultaneous applications) without any problems. Weird. My processor is only 1.1Gh and the bus is I think 133Mhz. :P

I prefer p4 processor as it supports hyper-threading...

AMD is a better choice if you love to over-clock your processor.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats the funny part - people always talk about overclocking AMD's but I've had extremely bad experiences with them.. Most of the times, overclocking (even with terrific cooling arrangements) results in complete system freeze on AMDs (at least for me).. besides there's this friend of mine - got himself an AMD cpu around 2.4Ghz.. don't remember the exact speed - but he could never run it beyond 1.5Ghz in a non-aircon environment and even with aircon it never went beyond 1.8Ghz.. what was the use of buying a 2.4 then ?? Till date he keeps on cursing amd for such a waste of money & time..

hehe, microsocopic, i'll tell you why i'm laughing:speed in hertz is not absolute. an apple computer that runs at 1250mhz will go way faster than a p4 at 2000mhz. just like that, a amd at 1800mhz will go as fast as a p4 2,4ghz.the numbers given by amd indicate which pentium processor you can compare it with. so a amd2400 will work about as fast as a p4 2,4ghz, but only run at 1800mhz.it's all in the processor architecture. your friend did a good buy, no matter what he may think :Poverclocking is delicate. you should stay away from it unless you are sure what you're doing.if i'd buy a pc now, i'd go for an amd 64, because it'll be able to handle the next generation of operating systems.almoo, of course you can. that's been possible since the x486 :Phyperthreading means that it seems like you have two processors, so you can do two things at EXACTLY the same timewhen you don't have hyperthreading or multiple processors, it works like this: your processor will execute program 1 for a little while until it has to wait (for example, it's waiting for the harddisk to find data, or for you to type or click or something). meanwhile, it'll continue program2. it'll pause program2 for a second, and meanwhile continue program3, etc...)but your processor is so fast you don't notice it and it seems like all the program run at the same time. and as far as you're concerned, they do. what do we care how it works, as long as it works.

Everybody says that if you want to overlclock your cpu, go for a AMD. Why exactly are AMD's better for ovelclocking that the P4? I have my P4 ovelclocked from 2.6 to 3.1 without any increase in voltage, or any tweaking; and it has worked great (no bsod or anything) for 3 months. Is my processor a freak of nature or something, because everybody says that you can't ovelclock a P4 to over 300 megahertz over stock speed.By the way, my vote goes for the P4.

Everybody says that if you want to overlclock your cpu, go for a AMD.  Why exactly are AMD's better for ovelclocking that the P4?  I have my P4 ovelclocked from 2.6 to 3.1 without any increase in voltage, or any tweaking; and it has worked great (no bsod or anything) for 3 months.  Is my processor a freak of nature or something, because everybody says that you can't ovelclock a P4 to over 300 megahertz over stock speed.

By the way, my vote goes for the P4.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What I don't get is why exactly people still bother with overclocking. You can't overclock new processors to the same degree as old ones(in terms of percent increase in performance), and you don't usually even NEED the performance these days with how fast things are. The better thing to overclock is usually your vid card.

AMD's are considered better for overclocking because clock for clock they have more performance(ie, a 10mhz improvement in a AMD is worth a lot more than 10mhz on a p4).

I usually vote AMD on this, because they are cheaper for the same performance, and now they have the 64 bit processors whereas Intel is still sitting behind in 32bit land(but they are still behind the G5 in terms of getting to 64bit.....)

For price/performance it is still AMD.

hehe, microsocopic, i'll tell you why i'm laughing:

speed in hertz is not absolute. an apple computer that runs at 1250mhz will go way faster than a p4 at 2000mhz. just like that, a amd at 1800mhz will go as fast as a p4 2,4ghz.

the numbers given by amd indicate which pentium processor you can compare it with. so a amd2400 will work about as fast as a p4 2,4ghz, but only run at 1800mhz.

it's all in the processor architecture. your friend did a good buy, no matter what he may think :P

overclocking is delicate. you should stay away from it unless you are sure what you're doing.

if i'd buy a pc now, i'd go for an amd 64, because it'll be able to handle the next generation of operating systems.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with you , and i am the AMD fans , I have 3 computers all is AMD

i used to root for all the intel pentiums especially number 4. but when i found out that AMD is much stronger just recently i changed my mind. AMd i far more stronger than intel and far more cheaper to buy. only main diference is that amd runs at a slower speed than intel but! a very big but! it processes more in one cycle than intel. this really makes up for it. so i intel and amd process ran at the same exact speed amd will beat it far more!

So, here is how i see it... The AMD does more work per CPU cycle than Intel.

Intel runs at a higher clock rate.

This SEEMS to even performace out... but consider the following.....

Higher Frequency Requires more Power....

Higher frequency increaces Electro magnetic induction into adjacent tracks... so again, you  need even more voltage to keep the CPU stable.

which in turn SURELY means a hotter CPU, and the need for better cooling.

What would you rather have, a nice cool Calculator CPU running at 11Mhz.

or a large collection og logic gates running at 12 terrahertz ???

CPU clock speed is not everything.

it seems Intel spends too much money advertiseing, and not enough on impocing their CPU.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok here i go again.

The P4 HT does more CPU work per cycle than AMD and has more bandwith, you're absolutly right on saying that clock rate isn't the principal varialbe, but with more bandtwith 800mhz beetwen the system and cpu, and a RAM capable to keep the cache fulled and the core working almost all the time when it's loaded de P4 do a lot of more work than a AMD.

I really doubt yo saw an imparcial benchmark showing de AMD faster, (please search on tom's hardware), becuase it's imposible.

On the temperature issue, letme introduce you to the 90nm technology, wich uses more refinated silicium and less power.

If u prefeer a nice calculator, that's what u will have, more logoc gates and transistors are more instructions technology and stability on the CPU.(ex. temperature control on core).

on the imporving CPU let me know you that 64b that calims AMD now has 15 years on market and available on Intanium, and the 64 bits technology name is IA64 (Intel Architecture 64 bits), and AMD reach and rent this technology just now, wich is property of intel.

Intel has CPU more powerfull and technology on market wich will be on pentiums on 2 or 3 years as HT was availabe on xeon since 1999.

We can imporve our CPU just with a mouse click, cause we have the technolgy ready, tested and working to do so, but it's not usefull nowadays (as 64b).

We are more expensive because we investigate and develop new tech. as AMD just rent our patents and techs, (AMD is IA32 and I386 compatible) but dont have the right tools to make it possible (90nm tech).

We will comercialize the P4 600 next week with 64EMT just as AMD it's NOT full a IA64 tech, it's only a 64 extension on memory manage and on other stuff but NOT support floating points operators on 64b such as 64b word on databases or numbers on floating. ITS ALLMOST USEFULL WHEN U HAVE MORE THAN 4GB of RAM, it's only a bigger word to adress the memory up to 4bg on CPU core.

I u want to try a real 64 bits buy a ITANIUM 2, at 600 U$S.

I have a lot of more examples and arguments to say.

But on sintesis, P4 HT are fastest CPU nowadays for home/office PC, and all imparcials benchmarks say that.

And the fastest CPU available is Itanium.

The stablest CPU is XEON.

So if u want a calculator that trays to imitate a xeon buy an opteron and see it burn itself if u load it at full.

A caluclator that trays to imitate a celeron is Ath, but with less bandwith it can't support the same CPU LOAD:

want benchamrk CPU vs. CPU here u have.

NOT A OPENGL OR DIRECTX BENCH WICH ALL OF US KNOW ITS A VIDEO BENCH AND THERE THE VIDEO CARD RULEZ.

http://www.tomshardware.com/t/cpus/

Revving up in the New Year: AMD Athlon64 3400+ versus Intel's P4 3.2 GHz

note that is old p4 1mb cache.

But i bet you overclocked them !AMD's tend to run much cooler than Intel chips.my 2.4Ghz AMD_64 is currently running at 36 degree's !!!

I would go with Pentium 4 or any others following suite. My dad's pc runs on AMD and hes selling for that reason. He hates it. My laptop is running on a P4 and is flawless (besides the millions of spyware that it attracts!!!)...I would go with P4. However, a lot of people think differently...

I've never had a computer running as cool as my stock HP with and AMD64, now that I,ve updated the cooling its running flawlessly. I say sux to P$, the next gen of AMD is going to blow us all away!