xisto Community
JimBeam1405241475

AMD Or P4 ?

Which CPU do you prefer?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The ever popular CPU debate. Which one is better? I'll let you guys decide.Personally I don't have a lot of knowledge of the 2 CPU's, so my preference may somewhat be a little biased from what I have been told by friends and the such. Vote for the CPU you prefer, and post your reasons for choosing that brand.I'm not going to give my preference just yet, or the reasons behind it in an attempt to not start a bias trend. I'm quite interested in seeing peoples' responses to this, although I can guess which way this poll might slide.I know this may not seem to be the most original poll question, but I am curious to see what the majority of people prefer. I also hope to maybe learn a little more knowledge of the 2... but we'll see what happens :) Let the voting begin :)

AMD Socket 939 is latest and offers great upgradation for future as well....AMD S754 = (Single Channel Memory Controller, 64bit, HTT 1600Mhz Full Duplex, SOI, 130nm)AMD S939 = (Dual Channel Memory Controller, 128bit, HTT 2000Mhz Full Duplex, SOI, 90nm, 130nm)Especially Memory Bandwidth would be great (almost doubled) if u go with S939.i did some googling about this and i was very disapointed with AMD!!! Why??? this is why: I found out that AMD64 3000+ is better than Intel 3.0GHz processor, and Intel managed to overcome AMD64 processors only in Video encoding. And imagine that AMD64 has 512kb L2 cache and Intel has 1MB L2 cache... BUT, AMD will start selling AMD64 3000+ processors with 939 socket. Unfortunately these processors are not available in Italy yet, and i heard rumors that even in USA are hard to find. Also, only AGP port is supported in the 939 socketed motherboards that are available for now... My point is that if someone wants to buy a PC now, will have to get an Intel based PC (socket 775) if he wants to be able to upgrade easily, without changing motherboard... but, again, these processors are not the fastest ones. For example, i was thinking to get a 3.0GHz or 3000+ processor, and maybe upgrade to a 3.6GHz or 3.8GHz in a year from now... If i 'll get an AMD, i will have to change my motherboard, and the cost will be bigger, since AMD processors at this speed will be available only at 939 socket. But if i'll get an Intel based PC (socket 775) i can do the future upgrade without changing my mobo...

Four votes and I can already see a trend starting, and exactly how I expected it to go. I personally have an AMD Athlon64 3000+ and am totally happy with it. I've only ever owned 2 computers, and my first also had an AMD (old HP system with an AMD 700Mhz) which did a great job back in the day. From my experiences, and hearing of friends experiences with different CPU's, I don't think I'll change from AMD, at least not to Intel.My vote goes to AMD. I still want to know what other people think, and why.

I love these questions just waiting to start a flame war. Personally, I vote Intel, but it all depends on what you do and what you want to do. I don't play many computer games or do a serious amount of floating point work, which is where the AMD truly excels due to its short pipeline design. I have a P4-M 3.06GHz and am completely happy with it. Of course that could be due to the fact that I came from an 800MHz K7 Athlon. The P4 excels in video (i.e. MPEG video, not D3D render) and audio encoding/decoding and all general media-rich content. The Athlon can encipher or encode data faster, excepting media.) The pentium can encode video an audio faster, and does better at 3d rendering software, whereas the AMD line does much better with document creation and games. It all depends on where your interests lie.

I have always known Intel to be a more stable CPU, which in turn creates a quieter computer.I have an AMD and my computer is noisy as hell. Sounds like I have one of those industrial generators you hear whining at the back of some shopping centres. But AMD CPU's are usually faster and have a somewhat better overclocking threshold.

Me, I use an AMD, mainly because of cost reasons. Not just the chip, but also the motherboards. If I hadn't recently decided that I hated windows, I would be considering an upgrade to a AMD 64 of some type, but instead I am gonna just wait for either linux to stop being *bottom* as a desktop OS(for my purposes, this includes easy driver setup as well as good third party application support) or until I can afford a nice G5 system from apple. I will probably be waiting a while.

Intel Pentium 4 is the most stable of the two, Intel processors include heat control which AMD processors skip to create cheaper processors. AMD I guess is a good solution if you do not use your computer obsessively and don't mind the loud noises from time to time. But I would always go for INTEL processors as I believe they are more stable and economic, but unfortunately expensive.

Personaly, I prefer the Intell CPU's over the AMD's. I tend to use a computer untill it breaks and intell CPU's just last longer by a long shot. I am running a 166mhz and a 233mhz Intell box right now with linux on them. The chip itself is mutch more durable with the heat spreader on it making it less likely to break during an instalation. I allso like the way that the company is run better. They give more money to education than AMD.

The Intel AMD debate seems to be mostly opinion based. AMD's do not have to run loud, it is just that the stock HSF and a case with 80mm fans will be loud. The Intel HSF is much better, but then again the P4 naturally runs a lot hotter than the AMD. My friend's case with two 120mm fans (intake and exhaust) and the stock HSF with Arctic Silver Thermal compund runs at 28 degrees celsius at idle thanks to the cool 'n quiet power management driver from AMD. The Intel's do certainly tend to be more quiet on an OEM basis, but if you build your own computer it can be very quiet. My P4-M notebook runs VERY loud when plugged in and running in performance mode, so loud that I can't sleep with it on.

OK, intel has better lifetime, speed, control, etc---I can't be objetive, intel feeds my familiy. I work on Intel as an FCR for southern cone region (south america).. so...INTEL RULEZ :).But, i dont lie if a say that i had an AMD k6, and it blows up on the 3rd week, i overclocked it.Nowaday i have a p4 OVERCLOCKED, yes OVERCLOCKED, the FSB is on 440 when it is 400. and still running 2 years (everclocked)...

Wow I'm actually quite amazed with the poll results. Like I previously said, I'm no expert or anything... but just from what I've gathered from friends opinions and other people I talk to online, AMD seems to be the more popular CPU. And about AMD's being loud? I've never had any problems with mine. Usually I leave my computer on all day and night (as I'm sure many others probably do too) so it stays on for days constantly without a reboot, and it runs quiet and fast.. at all times. Maybe there's a difference between regular AMD's and the newer AMD 64 bit's? I don't know. I love my Athlon64 3000+ though.

Okay... im not a hrdware *expert* but i know a little about electronics, i know how to read benchmarks..Not sure about price, but for benchmarks.. My AMD64 3400+ (actual clock speed it 2.4Ghz)wipes the floor with an Intel Pentium4 Running at over 3Ghz. even though the pentium has more L2 cache.So, here is how i see it... The AMD does more work per CPU cycle than Intel.Intel runs at a higher clock rate.This SEEMS to even performace out... but consider the following.....Higher Frequency Requires more Power....Higher frequency increaces Electro magnetic induction into adjacent tracks... so again, you need even more voltage to keep the CPU stable.which in turn SURELY means a hotter CPU, and the need for better cooling.What would you rather have, a nice cool Calculator CPU running at 11Mhz.or a large collection og logic gates running at 12 terrahertz ???CPU clock speed is not everything.it seems Intel spends too much money advertiseing, and not enough on impocing their CPU.

i had an intel p3 (well actually it is still running in a system), and i am also runing a P2 on my test box. However i do currently prefer AMD chips, they are more accessable and seem to be a little cooler somehow (i mean metaphorically not literaly :) ), anyway my vote goes to AMD