xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kevlar557

Half-life 2 Questions

I have heard that Half-Life 2 requires you to have steam installed, and be connected to the internet in order to play it. I have extremely slow dial-up, and I really dont want to wait 3 hours to start Half-Life 2. Is this true, and is there any way around it if it is true?

Unfortunetely, I think you do need to be connected on the net the first time you try to play Half-life 2. After that though, you should be able to play offline.The reason you need to be online is so Steam can unlock your HL2 files. It is their attempt at stopping piracy and must be frustrating for dialup users such as yourself :)This would probably take a while on dialup and you are best starting it before work, considering you decide to buy it.

If you do own a LEGIT version of Half Life2 , you can use a CD check / Steam Check removal utlitly as means of not using the CD or Steam , but that's only LEGAL if you do own the game .GOOGLE for nosteam . hope I helped .

just to clear this all up....When you install Half-Life 2, you need to connect to the internet once.you dont need to download anything, you just need to use a web page to validate your cd.then you can select "remember my password for offile mode"you will need a fast internet connection to play online multiplayer though !

It is possible to play Half Life 2 without being conected to the internet, but you need to correctely configure your firewall while being online in steam otherwise you will get the message 'The Operation Could Not Be Completed At This Time'. This means, if you don't have a configurable firewall you will have to be connected. You will have to be connected no matter what the first time you install Half Life 2, becuase the instalation requires file validation, which took me about an hour on my 512kb Broadband.

I want to install Korin wii 0.8 Mod... but....

Half-life 2 Questions

I want to install Korin wii 0.8 Mod, this mod must be copied at SteamApps/SourceMods/, I downloaded half life without steam and these folders were not created, somebody please help me, where should I copy this mod?

-Savage3X

I personally have slow dial up myself so the first time i installed it it had to update for days. Fortunatly when my computer harddrive broke and i was left gameless or patchless i came up with an idea...download all the files you need onto a pc with broadband and then just copy them with a gig stick or dvd and put them into the steam folder where all the other HL2 stuff is...Hopefully that helped.

For all the complaining people do about Steam having to connect to the Internet, I do like the fact that once you validate your legal copy that you don't need the CD anymore to play it. That, and it's easy to get mods up and working in it.Of course, I have a broadband connection, so I don't have to worry about stuff like 56kbps :)