xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Rudy1405241475

Rank The Help You Get Show your appreciation for help you get

On a scale of one to ten show your appreciation to the members that provide us the answers to our questions. Just list the member’s names and the rank you give them. A ten being the highest rating and one being lowest.People like to know that the information they give us is useful and worth the time and effort they take in presenting it to us. Let us give them some incentive to really dig up those facts and feed us like babies.

I really like this Idea but this seems to be a pure invitation for SPAM which we are against of. Xisto forums are extremely strict with respect to spam. + Post counts in general sections are not counted. + Post Counts in sections like Humur or which have no important meaning is not counted.+ Post Counts below 3 lines is not Counted ( This point may be in contradiction to some, but this has been done to tackle spam, and it has proved to be the most effective one )As for RANKING, We have reputation system. If you like the posts of a member and his talent then you can always give him Reputation points and put up a small reason for it.

I think the rating works :)If you got an answer to a question or read a topic that helped you with a problem you couldn't get help with somewhere else. Then that member deserve to get a +1 on the rating with an explanation why you gave the point. That way another user can look at the feedback and see who is active and reliable in each topic. There are some that are very specialized in their knowledge.We may have a specialty like networking, OS, or web development and here at Xisto.com we have a community to share with others and at the same time expand our own knowledge.Atta-boy OpaQue one + rating for you :)Nils

I agree NilsC, the rating system works well. We only have to use it. I think it is good to let those who have helped you know. I don't think a response to any particular topic deserves a +1 simply for responding, but if the reply helps you, or they have shown an earnest effort they do deserve a positive point. As stated in the forums before, the reputation apect of this site allows the newbies to see who, and where they can get help.One thing that I have yet to come across in the forums is the reasons for giving a -1 or negative point. This should be addressed. I do not think simply for disagreeing with an individual about any topic or constitutes a negative point. We all have the right to disagree.However, I do think that the following would constitute giving a -1:1) Spamming the boards with useless or copied posts.2) The use of fowl language in a public forum.3) Degrading implecations towards another member.4) Continually providing false and inaccurate information, especially in the scripting area. Countless hours can be lost due to having an inaccurate script and not realizing it.I am sure there are more good reasons for giving a negitive point...What do you think?pete

Pete,I think it was r3d who said the rating system is for usres / mods and admins to show good / bad effort on user performance (or mod /admins performance) and when a user spams the board or act in a disrespectful way he will receive a warning. The only person who can see if a user have previous warnings are mods and admins. So we as users can give and take away points as we feel is right. And the standard we all use don't come from the same mold so we will differ when it comes to rate a users post / effort.As for the warning part I think mods and admins are more lenient to a user with no warnings than one with multiple warnings.as for accuracy in code etc, we all need to check data we copy and make sure the is no 'typo' there.Nils

I think the Ranking idea can work well if people know who is rating their responses, it keeps everyone accountable. Also I agree with pbolduc on the idea of giving negative ratings to people who repeatedly provide false code information. If you are unsure that your code is not valid please don't post it. If you repeatedly post it and waste other people's time, then you should be rated negatively,If you can't be bothered to (or don't have the resources to) test the code, then please add a caveat which says code has not been tested (although this might be abused but sometimes, let's say you pull out a script in MSDOS from 5 years back which was run on Windows 98 but you now run XP which does not always allow you to run batch files in Windows, I think its nice to add a line that says, although I know this works when I wrote it, I have not tested it recently and so cannot guarantee that it will work on your system).