xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
CoolBradG

Gbrowser And Gmessenger? Rumors of a Browser and IM...

Has anyone else heard Google may be making a web browser? If you look the domain http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ is registered. I think this could be pretty cool if this does happen. They also may be making an IM program like AIM, Yahoo!, and MSN. This would also be exciting! Google is really getter bigger with GMail, AdSense, and some of its other services.So what are your thoughts on this? True, Not True?

I think the Gbrowser rumor may be true -- it seems plausible enough; however, I doubt the Google IM is true -- there's simply no need for it. I think generally everyone is happy with AIM, YIM, os MSN. Do we really need a GIM? What would GIM offer that none of the former can?

[sarcasm] yeah cool, of course, they are going to integrate gmail, google search and internet browsing, and send periodically status reports back to them. So they know what you look for, what you mail others about, and your conversations on Gmessenger. Aah hell, let's make 'n GoogleOS too, so we can all search everything we want when we want and let mr. google know all about it.[/sarcasm]Google has to focus on SEARCH not messaging, browsing and OS'ing. :):)

I think jipman is right. what, is GIM going to have a nifty search so you can instantly search thought all you IM archives and find your chat about "eating lasagna and talking to fred"? (don't forget the targeted advertising so you get get ads about the best deals on "LOL" and "TTFN" on eBay.) I think if Google did make an IM client it would use MSN or AIM protocol anyway rather than create it's own "GIM Protocol."

If google implement its search engine in browser and assumed messanger it will be greate. But at the same time we need to think of our privacy. If any one used Google Desktop Search they know how it threats the privacy of the user. But any how i like google as i get all needed resources at a click of a mouse on its SE.But privacy is the most important thing.Cheers

If google implement its search engine in browser and assumed messanger it will be greate. But at the same time we need to think of our privacy. If any one used Google Desktop Search they know how it threats the privacy of the user. But any how i like google as i get all needed resources at a click of a mouse on its SE.

But privacy is the most important thing.

Cheers

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Security is a concern, but I think Google would probably be as safe as any with security.

Hi,

I went into https://www.google.com/intl/en/about/ to try by myself to find any clue about above roumors, and it doesn't seems like that they had that part in their plans and did even tried to check their laps and nothing there either. I really hopes that Google continue to do what they are best on, to be and fast and useful search engine.

Cheers
Jens

Google is great... -good- at what they do now. The search engine(s) are what they should stick to. Maybe update the algorythms that is used to categorize web pages and it would be nice to be able to submit dead links. they could setup a spider to check if the link is dead and update the db when it's true. And if link is alive just leave it alone for the next time the googlebot shows up.IMHO they should stay away from browsers and IM's :)Nils

Ok I agree but then I Disagree ...I don't like IE , so I am using Maxthon ( MyIE2 formerly , it's still IE but more advanced ) ... but it's still ... IE ... I personaly tried diffrent version of Firefox since the very old versions / PR versions and that final version , and I am not even 20% less happy ! I don't like to LEARN and GET TO USE to stuff after being used to Maxthon ... Ie .. in maxthon I can open a link in a new window by just dragging the link and leaving it anywhere ... it will open ... or i can close a tab by double clicking on it ... ( mouse gestures etc etc ) so I really like it .but if something else more SMART , FREE and more STABLE than IE comes up , say The GOOGLE BROWSER , I would be very happy to switch , since I almost tried all GOOGLE services and I must say none of them are less then Excellent .as for ppl saying , Google should concentrate on Search , that's kinda correct but that's you thinking from down here , GOOGLE at the top right now ( nothing beats googles popularity ) thinking diffrentyl ... they want global domination ! ( no mr bush no WMD s now , please no more wars ) they seek more markets to participate in ,, this is at the end how money thinks .... it's a great free servive and they are making millions already but they want zillions not just millions , and if they are going to make zillions yet still offer more great free services , I would be more than happy to participate ..that's just my humble opinion ..

A google web browser would both be able to fit with there advertising methods very well,. however google is a comercial company so i don't doubt there interests would be in advertising depending on surfing habbits, probably also examining our serfing habbits. Put it this way to convice me to use a google webbrowser the software would have to be ALOT better than what is already avalible.A google IM client would be good i think, it is known that they came up with a protocol relating to IM, i think the name was GoogleIM or somehtin. however they stated this was for use with the google search product. I think a google IM would work very well.I think they would risk expanding there business to far however if they were not carful enough so i would be suprised if both projects exist.

I dunno, i would ditch MSNM anyday for anything google made. With a search chat log feature it would be very cool. The only problem i see with google is the non integration of it all, if gmail, messeging, firefox based browser were all linked somehow it would be very cool and would be very usefull and an OS sounds really cool but that may not be as popular are most people who dont know that much wouldnt like to change, maybe a linux with KDE grpahical ability with google theme would be cool though, ive never liked X-Window and Gnome.

At present am using yahoo messanger, does any one knows how gmessanger (proposed) differ from exsisting messanger. And about gbrowser how it differs from Firefox, IE and other well settled browsers in functionalities. What about privacy policy, security issues. Is it true gbrowser implemented with its own protocol.Can any one let me know,CheersArunkumar.H.G

At present am using yahoo messanger, does any one knows how gmessanger (proposed) differ from exsisting messanger. And about gbrowser how it differs from Firefox, IE and other well settled browsers in functionalities. What about privacy policy, security issues. Is it true gbrowser implemented with its own protocol.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

gmessenger has not actually been anounced as far as i am aware and therefore must be concidered speculation to googles development. google did however use there own protocol in google desktop search for IM which was addapted from AIMs protocol. This obviously caused the speculation we are now whitnessing.

I think it is important to concider the possibility that these roumors may infact be false and there is nothing to back these up with. Googles entire marketing stratergy is based around targeted advertising from search terms, or in the case of gmail from content in emails. how would this work in the case of an IM client? it would be very difficult to manage and would probably only allow people to intergrate with googles other features and since 99% of people use google search anyway what would they have to gain from a business point of view.

People seem to lose sight of the fact that google is not an open source developer or a group of individuals doing this for a hobby, they are a business who need to make money from a product, they have been sucessful with creating themselfes a good image from not being to in your face and for having support of OSS comunities, however they are still a business like M$ or IBM they need to make money to survive. this means that they will have to have distinct reasoning to develop software and there must be a money making oportunity there somewhere.

UPDATE:

this link was posted on slashdot earlier today, link,

this does give an interesting, although hypothetical view about the future at google.